Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 10:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sidewall blowout! (Read 1065 times)
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Sidewall blowout!
Jul 26th, 2009, 7:38pm

So this is my third disasterous attempt to air up a tire to anywhere near 100psi.  I just bought this Kenda Kwest 20x1.25, installed a brand new tube and aired it up to 85psi.  This was my second ride on it, the first being around the block to check derailleur adjustments.  I was on flat concrete in the park without a rock or piece of glass anywhere in sight when it just blew out.  I don't get it.  Is it possible to just get a bad tire?  I was able to patch it and get back to the house on about 40psi but you can see in the picture that the tube is trying to blow out through the old hole.  Any advice?  Smiley cry

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Sidewall blowout!
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2009, 8:21pm

It's certainly possible to get a bad tire...  I had tread separation on two consecutive Specialized Pro 26 x 1.0s...   If you bought it from a local shop like PCF, take it back and try to get a new one as replacement.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2009, 10:13pm

Thanks.  These guys at RBM in Frisco have kinda been jerks when it comes to getting me parts but I'm gonna take it in and at least see what they say.  They have a P-38 Lightning hanging on the wall but can't get a 20" rim.  Go figure.  I was worried about the sidewall before I even put it on the bike.  The 26" seemed fine but the 20" sidewall seemed paper thin and was all wrinkled up while I was putting it on.

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2009, 10:20pm

If you needed to get home on it you could use a tube patch on the inside of the tire to make sure the tube doesn't pop out and blow. Being a new tire I'd try the LBS to bring it back or contact the manufacturer who might have a form you can fill out to get a new tire.

I've gotten some bad tires but mostly I just seem to wreck them like I did on the way home on friday seconds after I passed a dart bus. BOOOM goes the rear tire. Sidewall was ripped a couple inches so I put on the spare tire and was off. Silly me tried the kojaks again because I thought not towing the boat anchors might make me want to ride more. Instead they popped so back go on the boat anchors.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2009, 10:54pm

that kinda crap is happening way too often.  I've had two of those wth two brand new tires in the last 2 months.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Stevesbent

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2009, 9:04pm

Oddly enough the best place I have found for special ordering parts (espeicially when I am not sure of the technicallities of what I am ordering and need help) has been the Dallas REI on 635.

They have beaten Binc and RBM on price and quick turnaround every time I have needed a part.

Binc told me I would have to replace a rim on my daughters bike because it was "too far out".  A tech at REI had it trued in both planes in less than 15 minutes and only charged me $5.00.

If you are a member the return policy is very forgiving...

I am going to try special ordering new treads for my volae from them since they have been able to get pretty much anything else I have needed.  That way if I don't like them I can return them Smiley

You only have so many rides around the sun, so many times to see a full moon rise.
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2009, 9:14pm

Thanks.  I love going to REI when I can but the closest one (Preston & Park) has a "bicycle tech" who doesn't know a 650 from a 700.  I'll have to try the 635 location sometime.  Looks like RBM is going to replace the tire so I should be okay.  I'm still scared to death to air a darn tire up past 60 lbs though.  EVERY time I do, it's flat city!  And I always end up losing flesh!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print