Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 9th, 2024, 6:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New commute tires (Read 1094 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

New commute tires
Apr 27th, 2009, 9:07pm

After blowing up 2 Stelvio's within a week I decided to try something a bit cheaper on the Strada.  I picked up some on sale Performance Metro 26" x 1.25" with kevlar.  Fortunately they do fit!  However just cruising around the block tonight they feel significantly slower.  They add enough pneumatic trail to the steering that I confirmed I can ride hand's free for up to 20 seconds!  We'll see how they wear and handle the wet tomorrow.  At least they are cheap.  I can do about 4 tires for the price of one Stelvio!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: New commute tires
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2009, 10:30pm

What pressure are the Metros?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2009, 8:24am

They are rated up to 85psi.  I ran the rear at 85 and the front at 80 this morning.  Very cushy there, but I didn't have any issues.  I may try 85 front, 90 rear tomorrow.  Slightly over pressurizing the Stelvio's made them roll much faster, suspect these will as well. Granted its one day, and a foggy one, but they seem about 5-10% slower than the Stelvios, which were a little bit slower than 650c performance tires.  So I'm guessing maybe 12% slower than a Michelin Pro.

Here is the link:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=26288&subcategory_ID=542 5

I got mine for $13.99 each.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2009, 3:54pm

Time for an update on these cheapie tires.  After a little over 800 miles I'm very pleased.  No Flats! and Bikejournal reveals that my average speed actually went up .06 mph.  So I would say these is no difference in speed compared to the previous 800 miles on the Stelvios.  The ideal pressure for me has been 85psi on the front, 90psi on the rear. At that pressure they still are much cushier than the Stelvios. Tire wear appears to be very good, with no appreciable wear showing yet.  Plan to go to 1500 miles before rotating.  Highly recommended!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2009, 8:03pm

Are these the same tires that you used to kick my butt last week at Popsicle?   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2009, 10:36am

I don't remember any butt kicking, but no these are on the Strada my main commuter.  They are 26 x 1.25,  I'll take a picture! Last Thursday was the last ride on my Michelin Pro2s.  I had a slow leak in the rear, and was noticing that cords were just about ready to pop out.  So I ordered some GP4000s and have those mounted now, need to break'em in.  I also got a deal on a lone Michelin Pro3 for $11 dollars new off ebay, so I will keep it to pair with the pro2 front, which has some wear left.  I ended up getting pretty darn good wear out the Pro2s, and they rode nice and no flats.  3000 miles on the rear, and the front can go quite a bit further.  But I don't use the 650c x 23 tires for commuting, that's asking for trouble.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print