Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cheeburger! Cheeburger!  Status update (Read 1005 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Cheeburger! Cheeburger!  Status update
Jun 27th, 2009, 6:05pm

Mark's in this 100+ degree heat riding his 200k today!  He wanted me to report that he's alive in Tioga right now at 6:04pm.  His status is....He's HOT!  He'll have a full report as soon as he's cooled off and rested.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Cheeburger! Cheeburger!  Status update
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2009, 8:38pm

Good Deal, been thinking about him out there, Tioga is almost done so hopefully  completely done now!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2009, 9:42pm

I made it to the end by a few minutes after 8.  
The heat was brutal and I forgot my neckerchief in the car although it probably would have only delayed things by mere moments on a day like today. Took a nice 90 minute nap in Valley (??) on the way back I was soooooooooooo tired I kept nodding off.

I was really dreading Tioga and with the increase in traffic almost 2 dozen horse trailers passed kicking up tons of dust in a new bad section of road (hopefully temporary) it turned out icky and my bike is coated with dust.  From the Tioga border out east for 2 miles is what I can only assume is boulder seal without the seal. The whole road was pretty large jagged loose light brown rock. It was ridable for the most part with my 1.5" wide tires if I was really careful and balanced because it was pushing me around a little  but even with the suspension it was slow going. It was fun in the morning before it was so hot.  
 Smiley
I'm sooooooooo glad I didn't switch to my kojaks last night they probably would have got cut up walking it. The Vittoria Randonuer tires are tanks in every way which was good with alot of stuff today, not so much the hills though ugh..

« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2009, 9:46pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2009, 11:02pm

Mark, Peggy & I were thinking about you. When we read you were in Tioga, I knew you had about 18-20 miles to go, & the section east of Gunter on FM 121 to Val Alstyene has some busy vehicle traffic, AND add in some rollers after a long day on the bike, it's challenging.

Congratulations. Now, maybe the corn fields in Italy don't look so bad?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2009, 8:42am

It took me a while but I found a little cornfield on the way back.

Mostly saw alot of trees

Silly me when I was further away I thought this was going to be a nice road

Took this when I had to take a break in a smoother section

Didn't have any trains in the way this time

Yeah for mcdonalds!
g

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2009, 10:48am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2009, 9:11am

Hi Mark,

How was the road West of Valley View, East of Era?  All the road work completed through there?  I'm sorry about the section east of Tioga.  I went and checked the TXDOT site and it shows up. However all the Princeton destruction on Blue Ridge Boogie does not.  One nice thing about the rural areas of Alabama I was riding in last week was that they all the roads were still smooth asphalt and not chip seal.

Congratulations Mark for persevering and completing CheeBurger!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2009, 10:59am

hm wrong picture the first time.. the chip was like this

Nelson the roads near ERA were good. There is still alot of construction and the road is narrower because you have to ride in the left tire track going east due to gravel.  Two sections where it goes to one lane. One is about a 1/2 mile and there is a red light that alternates to let apposing traffic go but it doesn't give a cyclist enough time to get through before the other side gets a green. When I was heading east in that section an SUV at first gunned it when I assume they got the green but saw me with my lights and stopped and waited a light cycle to go which was nice.
The second section is just a little east of there and there is a rough transition and it goes to one lane but there is no signal. It is only about 100 yards though so it was easy to go both ways. I was a little worried because even a regular bicycle would be obscured by all the walls/barrels and other stuff they had in that area but you can see for a mile or two in either direction so it was easy to cross if you waited till it was clear.  What was funny is neither section had any warning signs that I saw especially one near the gravel warning of say how long it was! Closer to the start there is a sign that says rough pavement next 7 miles and well there isn't any rough pavement? At least not rough with a suspension and fat tires anyhow.

Almost forgot as I was headed out to Van Al. along 121 I saw two cyclists crossing on an early morning 100k flying through the intersection. I was in the middle lane so I was stuck going forward but I spyed two bacchettas!

Nelson thanks for clearing me with the last minute notice. Even if you told me there would be a mile or two of gravel I still would have gone but perhaps not left the first control late as I showed up at 7 and didn't want to rush anything.  I had gotten to sleep after midnight the night before, and for the last week or two actually, so ran late to the start after trying to nab a little shuteye.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2009, 10:45am

I went up Sunday evening and rode the 2 mile section through here, wasn't too bad, but set up a detour for the current construction that adds maybe a 1/2 - 1 mile to the course.  Its chipseal, so not all that much better, but at least its not muddy.  Unfortunately after they finish the current section and move further east there are not too many detour options.  Should be awhile from the looks of their repair pace though.

Mark getting your results entered today.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2009, 11:31am

Was there still alot of loose gravel? The mud doesn't sound too fun but might be refreshing after a long ride in the sun all day and at least it keeps the dust down from passing horse trailers  Smiley
When you went was it all or did you walk some? When I rode through I was able to hold about a 9mph average if I remember correctly but the bike was getting pushed around a bit as it slid around and bounced on down the road.  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2009, 12:00pm

Hi Mark,

It looks like most of the larger gravel has been blown off already, a lot of bare dirt / mud when I rode through.  It was lightly raining as I did it and the traffic was low, so not any dust and I rolled through on 700x28c 's at @10-12mph.  I could see how it might not be fun if really pouring and muddy or if there was much traffic and really dry.  Anyway the detour doesn't add much to the length, but its usefulness will likely be short lived.  If they fix and tear this up in 2 mile chunks, the next 5 x 2 mile sections willll just have to be riden over.  I think you hit it at the worst time possible Mark, as it was just getting started.  Now that people know about the construction traffic is dropping off I believe.

here is the bypass:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Cheeburger-Detour-outbound

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2009, 12:07pm by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2009, 2:31pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Jul 8th, 2009, 12:00pm:
Hi Mark,

It looks like most of the larger gravel has been blown off already, a lot of bare dirt / mud when I rode through.  It was lightly raining as I did it and the traffic was low, so not any dust and I rolled through on 700x28c 's at @10-12mph.  I could see how it might not be fun if really pouring and muddy or if there was much traffic and really dry.  Anyway the detour doesn't add much to the length, but its usefulness will likely be short lived.  If they fix and tear this up in 2 mile chunks, the next 5 x 2 mile sections willll just have to be riden over.  I think you hit it at the worst time possible Mark, as it was just getting started.  Now that people know about the construction traffic is dropping off I believe.

here is the bypass:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Cheeburger-Detour-outbound

Take Care,
Nelson.

Much thanks to Nelson for the detour, because this simple detour as also applies to my "Bobcat Bite" route.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print