Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:12am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When a watter bottle isn't enough (Read 1011 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

When a watter bottle isn't enough
Jun 17th, 2009, 10:52pm

No skip the watter bladder and camebacks.  
Bring along a nice Bubba keg insulated water cooler.

I saw Ray, Angie and a host of Texas Fliers for the weekly social ride out of downing for a little 30 mile loop through flower mound. I didn't ride my recumbent today so I could being along my utility bike get some exercise at the pace they usually ride. Next week I was telling Ray I should hook up my trailer and bring that along too but that might be a bit much for those that I pass going up hill Smiley

About 20 miles in we stopped and half the folks were out of water. Sure you can ride 10 miles without water but who needs to. So I handed out some nice ice cold water to all the folks to lighten the load for the trip back and all was well but next week I may have to bring two. Yeah they have water fountains but those are true emergency only things. Better to have some nice reverse osmosis filtered water with reverse osmosis filtered ice cubes.  

As we went back I called in an order for a Wheat Crusted Black Olive pizza and cutoff a mile early to head over and pick it up. Went very well with some nice Raspberry Ice Tea.. Sooooooooo I guess that about cancelled out any extra exercise eh? Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2009, 10:53pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Re: When a watter bottle isn't enough
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2009, 1:37pm

Mark, Mark, Mark,

I can attest to the Big Bubba.  We pulled over into an area of shade, and Marky-Mark pulls out this monster. It's a riot I tell ya.

Oops, I forgot to mention that he was riding the Xxxxtracycle.  It's longer than my Xxxxstream.  He rode really well.  On one grudual down hill, Mark was out front, and I caught him.  I lightly tapped my breaks, and coasted the rest of the way.  Mark stayed right next to me, so obviously his monster bike coasts well.

I hard ridden intervals for the 90 minutes preceeding the group ride, so I only rode ~15-20 miles with the group, then headed home.  Next week I may have to put in the exxxxxtra miles on the Xxxxxstream with Mark on the Xxxxxtracycle and enjoy whole wheat Pizza.  Now that's what I call a social ride  Smiley

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2009, 2:37pm

Most of that coasting downhill for that bike is gravity. The fastest I could get it up to on a flatish road was 25mph later in the ride because my legs were so dead from climbing those itty bitty hills on that non itty bitty bike.

Those keens really don't fit me right or something. My arch always gets beat up when I wear them so I'm going to wear some wool socks with em in the summer time.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2009, 5:50pm

*sigh* Not a roadie in sight on my trip to lowes or on the return trip with my 8 boxwoods and assorted wall patching material underneath. I wasn't sure but I think I had room to get all 16 in one trip.. Oh well I'll have to go back tommorow anyhow to get some paint
  Smiley

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2009, 9:31pm

Awesome! Smiley