Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 6:53pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HHH Training - 1st ride (Read 3107 times)
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

HHH Training - 1st ride
Jun 13th, 2009, 10:54am

So training ride #1 is in the bag.  Feels good.  I'm trying (REAL hard) to take it easy since this is my first year on the bike.  Had a little knee pain on the 42 miler at GDB Lancaster so I decided to back off to train for the HHH.  Yes, I know it's not an MS, brevet or any other french word for "idiot who doesn't know when to stop", but it's still a stretch for me and I'd like to do it without pain.  So I started with 30 miles and plan on riding 10% more every Saturday.  That will put me at 78 miles the weekend before HHH.  And of course, I'm commuting twice a week in the heat also.  Its just 12.5 miles each way but it lets me work on intervals, spinning and try to build up speed.  Today I rode from Main St. in Frisco down to RBM in Richardson and back and maintained 14.4 mph stopping at seemingly every light on Ohio.  Had a nice conversation with a guy on a wedgie for about a mile.  He claimed his average speed was 17.5.  I told him mine stays around 14.5.  Strange thing though.  When we separated at the light, he couldn't maintain the 21 mph I was doing (must have been downhill) and I felt way too good about it.  Why is it so much fun to leave a DF behind?  Must be recumbent man syndrome.   Smiley  Anyway, it was a BEAUTIFUL morning.  Anyone who needs to get between Richardson/Plano and Frisco, take Ohio.  Its REALLY quiet and makes for a rather peaceful ride.

Happy cycling!  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2009, 10:55am by Hurricane Dan »  

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: HHH Training - 1st ride
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2009, 11:12am

Sounds like you've got a good plan.  Get out for some rides other than commuting during the week as well.  Frequency builds strength.  Don't overdo it, but ride well.  Before I graduated to "idiot" status, I learned that if you can do 60, you can do 100.  Especially on a ride like HHH where there are plenty of stops to cool down, drink and eat, and relax - so long as you make Hell's gate on time.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2009, 11:25am

Thanks.  I timed it out with 5 min. at each stop (or 10 at every other) and I just have to maintain a little over 12 mph to reach Hell's Gate by 12:30.  Shouldn't be a problem.  And I was reading a good website by someone who has done RAAM a few times.  He recommended training to 75% of the ride, but I like your 60% better.  Smiley

Would you really recommend riding more than I am right now, 4 short and 1 long (or will be eventually)?  I've heard a lot of research that 24 hours is enough for muscle recovery but most people who work out for strength usually give it 48 hours.  Is it shorter recovery for not training to failure?  And exactly how much do you recommend riding in a week, assuming no injuries, etc?

Thanks.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2009, 12:22pm

Well it's hard to say.  I'd do it based on how well you feel.  Typical commute rides aren't done at "training" pace, so they may not give you the benefit you're wanting for training.  It's hard to say for sure - you have to be the judge.  Even if you're just doing one extra ride at a training pace, for 10-20 miles, it'll help, IMO.  You have to listen to your body and not overdo it though.  If you're doing some good trainign on your commute, then maybe throwing in one good 25 mile ride every other week would really step up your fitness.  Or you could be totally ok as you are doing.  I'm training twice a day at the moment, but I'll skip a ride if I get on the bike and I feel like trash, because that means I need to recover.  It's hard to stay within your limits and push the envelope at the same time Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2009, 1:04pm

Ever since I have been using my HR monitor on my commute I've been able to work in a bit of training. You can't do it perfectly but sometimes you can fit in some intervals with stop signs, stop lights or little recovery downhills if you are a little flexible. If you keep watch on the HR monitor you can make sure you aren't loafing around as I found I could keep my HR down near 100 for most of the whole ride which probably wasn't the best for training.
You can do one day as recovery and then one day for intervals or just pushing hard the whole way. It may mean extending your commute a little or doing a loop at some point to get enough time in but unfortunately that isn't something I need to do on my ride when I get back into doing it.  

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2009, 1:06pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2009, 2:30pm

If you've worked up to ~50 mile rides during July, and do them regularly (weekly), you'll be fine .. and maybe throw in a ~75 in early August, just for grins.  Your commuting miles will only help your overall training.  The heat can be the biggest factor, and once you hit ~mile 70, you've got 20 miles of southbound headwind to deal with.  So plan to USE the rest stops at 70, 80, 90, etc., and remember it's not a RACE, it's a RIDE.

It might be an interesting idea for RBENT to put together an "HHH Training Ride" in late July or early August, of ~75 miles, at a "reasonable" pace with potential SAG help, and HEADWIND IN THE SECOND HALF (?)  for those who haven't attempted something like this before, with some of our more experienced members helping out.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2009, 2:47pm

100?!  My heart rate stays between 140 and 150 (with occasional jumps to 170) unless I stop at a light.  I'll try to put in another ride and see how it feels.  Bonus points if I could lose 10 or 15 pounds before August.  Hell, it's not like I don't have it to lose!

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2009, 9:52pm

Good luck with the training. There are different kinds of rides for everyone. That why there's chocolate & vanilla in the world. It's all about pushing boundaries ,which are different for each of us.  

As can you tell, I'm one of those "idiots" as well, but I do know when to quit(my limits).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2009, 10:16pm

Quote from Killer Bee on Jun 13th, 2009, 9:52pm:
Good luck with the training. There are different kinds of rides for everyone. That why there's chocolate & vanilla in the world. It's all about pushing boundaries ,which are different for each of us.

As can you tell, I'm one of those "idiots" as well, but I do know when to quit(my limits).

I call BS!   Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2009, 10:29pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 13th, 2009, 10:16pm:
Quote from Killer Bee on Jun 13th, 2009, 9:52pm:

I call BS!   Smiley

You got it!  Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2009, 10:54pm

Dan I too live in Frisco. I use College between Hillcrest and Coit to get a lot of my training miles in. I use it for sprint and tempo training. I feel safe out there. If I can get myself on a regular day and time , I will post it if you would like to come out and ride with me.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2009, 11:20am

Definitely let me know Peggy.  I will try to keep up.  And it would be interesting to see how you train on College.  Isn't it less than a mile long?

Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2009, 9:34pm

Dan,

Linda and I were on a long downhill in the Mesquite ride last week. As the decline began I cranked hard a few times and as bents do began a brisk acceleration. I began to approach a young man and lady of course looking over their shoulders, I am not cranking, just coasting, but accelerating. They both jump up and pump hard...the sight of a geezer on a bent coming on strong without cranking was just too much. Sure enough I slowly passed right by them with a cheezy smile on my face (still no cranking) an pulled away, all the way to the incline. About half way up the other side the lady pulled up beside me and said "it just aint right that you can pass me coasting!"  

Aerodynamics, what a deal!

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2009, 8:59am

Dan I will be out on College tonight about 5:45 until about 6;45  your welcome to come join me.  

Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #14 - Jun 17th, 2009, 9:31pm

Quote from Pedalin` Peggy on Jun 17th, 2009, 8:59am:
Dan I will be out on College tonight about 5:45 until about 6;45  your welcome to come join me.

Peggy

Hey, was that you out on the Strada tonight?! I knew I've seen that Strada & Blonde hair before. The Mickey Mose jersey was the clincher( You & Sharon Stevens).   Smiley

That was a good ride after yesterday's interval ride & last night's Pilates class(which I'm really feeling the effects of today-OUCH). I'm not missing any more classes. It's too painful to get back up to speed in that class.  Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print