Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 9:54am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
650 vs. 700 -- why one or the other? (Read 7388 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 650 vs. 700 -- why one or the other?
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2009, 3:17pm

From discussions on DF boards years ago the 650 size is more aerodynamic, but the 700 size has less rolling resistance. Now how much of that is true and how much is "everybody knows" kind of "stuff" I coiuldn't tell you. I know there are a lot of triathlon bikes with the 650 wheels, but I don't see as many coming out as I used to.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2009, 1:36pm

There was a recent thread on BROL that diverged into a discussion of wheel/tire sizes on the Xstream, where someone was wanting to put 1.5" tires on it, based upon some comments made a while back about the bike accepting wider tires.  To do this, obviously, you have to go to 559 wheels, since 1.5" tires aren't available in 650c...  but apparently, the stock fork on the Xstream is not wide enough to take this size tire.  Not having one, this came as a surprise to me, since the front fork on the prototype is the same as that on the StratusXP, as far as I can tell -- apparently the production fork is something different, that is narrower.

You'd probably have to change out the brakes as well, I suppose, to get the tire width to fit in between the pads.  I have put my 559 Thracian wheels with 1" tires on the XS prototype, and everything fits fine (and yes, Greg,  Cheesy I adjusted my brake pad rim contact positioning...) -- although I guess if you needed to, you could deflate a 1.25" or wider tire, get it through the brake arms, then reinflate it!   Kind of like the classic puzzle of how you get a 14' tall semi truck under a bridge with 13' 11" clearance -- let some air out of the tires!   Smiley   Although I do remember Ray talking about front brake clearance issues on his bike....

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2009, 2:28pm

Yeah there is a point where you have to say enough is enough.  An Xstream is not meant to be a Stratus XP, so support for 1.5" tires would be a very secondary design parameter.  I have found in my experience however that it is easier to make a fast bike utilitarian than a utility bike fast.  So I tend to buy a faster bike and work around the limitations when I want it to do more than just go fast.

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2009, 2:30pm by Kwijybow »  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #18 - Sep 13th, 2009, 3:21pm

Quote from Opus the Poet on Jun 16th, 2009, 3:17pm:
From discussions on DF boards years ago the 650 size is more aerodynamic, but the 700 size has less rolling resistance. Now how much of that is true and how much is "everybody knows" kind of "stuff" I coiuldn't tell you. I know there are a lot of triathlon bikes with the 650 wheels, but I don't see as many coming out as I used to.

The difference in tires themselves (models, manufacturers etc.) and tire sizes tends to be much larger than the difference between the wheel sizes themselves. 650s are primarily used on women's tri bikes right now. Those and high-racers might be the only bikes that have an actual point in using them. Why do you ask?

I still laugh about the tri shop owner in Fred'burg telling me about decided to stock up for the 'women' just before Hell Week, only to have the highracers discover him and wipe out his entire 650 stock. :^)

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #19 - Sep 13th, 2009, 5:05pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Sep 13th, 2009, 2:28pm:
Yeah there is a point where you have to say enough is enough.  .....  I have found in my experience however that it is easier to make a fast bike utilitarian than a utility bike fast.  

Well, the frame IS already designed for wider rear tires, so to have an Xstream "cruiser" you'd just need a Stratus XP fork and canti or disc brakes.  There's also a couple photos of the RANS rally that show the silver and gold painted Xstream that has a Zephyr seat on it...

Mods, mods, mods....   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print