Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 8th, 2024, 7:38am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comfort (Read 415 times)
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Comfort
Sep 12th, 2009, 2:11pm

Ok, so I'm going stir-crazy with all of this rain... Maybe time to talk about comfort.

A fairly large number of people, maybe half of them 'bent riders, have asked how I managed to remain comfortable on the bike during our trips, etc. where I was basically on the bike all day long as well as during the hc600. I responded by telling them the new carbon seat, when leaned way back and with me cranking reasonably hard most of the time was the reason. Not only that, but I really had no desire to get off the bike except when my legs were so tired I didn't want to use them to hold me up. I figured that was a good enough answer, but apparently not. It seems most people prefer the Euromesh-type seats as compared to the carbon ones, so it seems something is different, and after talking with many people about it,  maybe it's not just me.

What's different?

About two years ago I apparently tore my left spinal erector muscles where they join the top of the hip in back while riding my road bike and/or practicing martial arts. I honestly couldn't both sit on my fabulous road bike seat and pedal at the same time. It not only was too painful, I couldn't physically get my legs to do it. I spent about 3 months off the road bike to no avail, but interestingly enough didn't have any problems riding my trike, which convinced me to move to a 2-wheeled recumbent.

After a bunch of research I picked the Corsa with the Euromesh seat. However, I quickly discovered that I couldn't handle that seat for more than about 20 minutes because of the pressure it put on my tailbone and the pressure it put on my already damaged lower back muscles. I tried a bunch of solutions but what somewhat worked was to fashion a lower lumbar support out of a cut-up memory foam pillow and place it under the seat pad. The pillow allowed my hips to rotate down a bit, removing stress from my tailbone and support my erector muscles where they were damaged. When my daughter suggested we ride to Florida and back, I had a little over 3500 miles logged on the Corsa but knew the EM seat wouldn't work on a trip like that so after some more research I ordered one of the new-style Bacchetta carbon seats. It was much better and included a slight lumbar support but not enough for me so I made another, smaller pillow for the carbon seat. Fabulous! I've now ridden over 9k miles on that carbon seat (on both the Corsa and the CA2) and can't imagine a more comfortable seat anywhere. Seriously, I don't know of a more comfortable chair.

So why do people complain about the carbon seat and about how uncomfortable they are on different performance bents? I really don't know, however everyone who has tried one of my lumbar-support pillows with the carbon or EM seat has said they make all the difference. I know I couldn't sit in the carbon seat for terribly long without one but I figured it was due to my back injury. Also, following my lead, my daughter fashioned a small lumbar pillow to use with the Euromesh seat on the Agio for the trips. She said it made that seat vastly more comfortable for her also. People are different and I'm sure it wouldn't work for some, but if you are having an uncomfortable ride on an EM or carbon seat, you might want to at least try a lower lumbar pillow. Let me know what the results are. See if I'm just normally off my rocker.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print