Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 25th, 2024, 1:29am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Avoiding Recumbent Trike Leg Suck (Read 4939 times)
UofHLesley

rbent member

Avoiding Recumbent Trike Leg Suck
Jun 12th, 2009, 1:31pm

I have read from numerous sources about "leg suck". I know it is suggested to use clipless pedals and appropriate shoes, but what else can you do to avoid it since we likely will not have funding for clipless pedals and shoes for all of our members? We were thinking adjustable toe straps since our vehicle will be a trike and you won't have to use your feet for stability. It is realized that by doing this it makes bailing out of the trike more difficult. Is this one of the only ways, or are there any other suggestions?  

Thanks!

Lesley

Oh I have so many questions  Tongue

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2009, 1:31pm by UofHLesley »  
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Avoiding Recumbent Trike Leg Suck
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2009, 3:11pm

Quote from UofHLesley on Jun 12th, 2009, 1:31pm:
I have read from numerous sources about "leg suck". I know it is suggested to use clipless pedals and appropriate shoes, but what else can you do to avoid it since we likely will not have funding for clipless pedals and shoes for all of our members? We were thinking adjustable toe straps since our vehicle will be a trike and you won't have to use your feet for stability. It is realized that by doing this it makes bailing out of the trike more difficult. Is this one of the only ways, or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Lesley

Here ya go:  http://bentonlife.googlepages.com/tonewtoknow%3F

And hopefully, one would never have to "bail out" of a trike...   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2009, 12:21am

The easiest way to avoid leg suck is a floor/belly pan. If the feet can't touch the ground then there is no risk of leg suck. the International Pedal Prix series requires a full floor board as a safety measure. http://www.pedalprix.com.au/index.php?id=326 Need I mention the aero advantages of a good floor/bell pan?

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2009, 11:09pm

Quote from UofHLesley on Jun 12th, 2009, 1:31pm:

Thanks!

Lesley

Power Grips work pretty good on a trike. Not cheap but you don't have to buy shoes set up for cleats. You could mount cleat supports on regular shoes like we used to have to do... (I still modify shoes to move the cleats another inch back for recumbent use) PG's aren't as efficient for pulling on the pedals as clipless, but far better than nothing or clips.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
UofHLesley

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2009, 3:15pm

Quote from goatstick on Jun 13th, 2009, 11:09pm:

Power Grips work pretty good on a trike. Not cheap but you don't have to buy shoes set up for cleats. You could mount cleat supports on regular shoes like we used to have to do... (I still modify shoes to move the cleats another inch back for recumbent use) PG's aren't as efficient for pulling on the pedals as clipless, but far better than nothing or clips.

Oh cool! Those power grips look a lot like what we are thinking  Smiley Thanks for the suggestions

Lesley

Email   IP Logged
UofHLesley

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2009, 3:18pm

Quote from Opus the Poet on Jun 13th, 2009, 12:21am:
The easiest way to avoid leg suck is a floor/belly pan. If the feet can't touch the ground then there is no risk of leg suck. the International Pedal Prix series requires a full floor board as a safety measure. http://www.pedalprix.com.au/index.php?id=326 Need I mention the aero advantages of a good floor/bell pan?

Very true. That would make it difficult if your feet can't touch the ground!  Wink we will keep that suggestion in mind for that purpose and the possible aero benefits. thanks!

Lesley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print