Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
*sigh* I can't have anything nice... (Read 1687 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

*sigh* I can't have anything nice...
Jun 9th, 2009, 10:06pm

So while I was in Santa Fe I dropped the corsa off to get re-tooled to my specs,  and have it prettied up with some nice yellow bar tap and oury grips, just like my carbent and the way I like it.  I'm futzing with the carbent getting her ready for RAO and so I rode the corsa to the Tuneros team ride tonight.  19 miles in I'm trying to adjust the gears going down a downhill turn.  Hit the apex and squeeze the brakes a little later than I'd intended and forget that this bike handles and brakes different than the carbent.  Into the gravel and down I go.   Smiley

Ah well, I was wearing my domino shorts with the leather thighs and thank goodness - just a little abrasion there but no damage to the shorts.  my elbow has some nice hamburger though.  Yippee.  It wasn't dripping blood though so I dusted myself off and kept riding.  It ended up being nice.  I rode through a herd of deer - never would have expected them so close to the road around here.  Also saw a 20 foot statue of a cow.  

Anyway, it's going to be a fun couple rides tomorrow.  I'm doing 2 or 3 a days all week.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: *sigh* I can't have anything nice...
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2009, 11:37pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jun 9th, 2009, 10:06pm:
So while I was in Santa Fe I dropped the corsa off to get re-tooled to my specs,  and have it prettied up with some nice yellow bar tap and oury grips, just like my carbent and the way I like it.  I'm futzing with the carbent getting her ready for RAO and so I rode the corsa to the Tuneros team ride tonight.  19 miles in I'm trying to adjust the gears going down a downhill turn.  Hit the apex and squeeze the brakes a little later than I'd intended and forget that this bike handles and brakes different than the carbent.  Into the gravel and down I go.   Smiley

Ah well, I was wearing my domino shorts with the leather thighs and thank goodness - just a little abrasion there but no damage to the shorts.  my elbow has some nice hamburger though.  Yippee.  It wasn't dripping blood though so I dusted myself off and kept riding.  It ended up being nice.  I rode through a herd of deer - never would have expected them so close to the road around here.  Also saw a 20 foot statue of a cow.  

Anyway, it's going to be a fun couple rides tomorrow.  I'm doing 2 or 3 a days all week.

At least you didn't break your hip  Grin

IP Logged
shellenefoster

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2009, 3:49pm

Yikes Gregg!

Remember, no accidents are allowed before your major event - be super careful out there.  We all want you to ride your best at RAO.  You've worked too hard to get knocked down at this point.
Shellene

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2009, 6:53pm

ehh, I'm fine.  I got 35 miles in before the tsunami hit tonight.  I have to go get on the trainer later, too.  Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2009, 9:18pm

I was at WRLake with Brenda Barnell and a few others tonight...  during our 2nd lap, Terrie called me and said "You need to take cover!"  At that point, we heard the tornado sirens starting up.  We hustled around the lake and back over to Brenda's, arriving about one minute before the storms hit.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2009, 9:28pm

I tried to tell you, son!   Glad you made it in safe.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2009, 9:53pm

I was out with the wednesday social ride tonight and the group decided to cut it short and head home early since there was some occasional lightning.
Angie and Ray headed towards their house and the rest of us headed back towards the start of the ride. After I played caboose for some stragglers I headed for home and I barely made it to the police station a few doors down and I heard flower mounds extreme weather sirens going off followed less then a minute later by hail and severe winds.

Glad you made it around the loop in time Paul. It sure got windy around here. Ray and Angie had a much shorter ride then the rest of us so I am pretty sure they were ahead of the storm also, plus they were riding away from it not perpindicular to it.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009, 10:04pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2009, 10:08pm

I was in Cedar Hill doing hill repeats on Gifco Road and just barely finished before the storm hit. It took me forever to drive home with everyone doing 15 mph in the wind and rain. The radio said there were 83 mph gusts recorded in Cedar Hill.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2009, 6:21am

Quote from evblazer on Jun 10th, 2009, 9:53pm:
Ray and Angie had a much shorter ride then the rest of us so I am pretty sure they were ahead of the storm also, plus they were riding away from it not perpindicular to it.

I thought we would be closer too Mark.  But from where you all turned off, it was probably about the same distance.  It was 3 miles to our house, and probably 3 miles for you all to get back to the school.  

As we were about 1/2 mile from our house the tornado sirens went off.  Then the literal second we pulled into our driveway, the 70 plus mph winds and heavy rain hit.  Another minute and we'd have been caught in a really bad storm.  We sustained some large tree branch breakage and 'stuff' on our back patio flew around like they were feathers.  Most of our neighbors had more significant damage.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2009, 9:11am

The report I read shows it touched down briefly about 1/2 mile east of shiloh and 1171 near the area we were riding about.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2009, 4:39pm

I was waiting for a bus in Carrolton when the storm hit. I managed to hold out even when the winds got over 40 (how much over I can only guess) but when the hail started falling I had to find shelter (and miss my bus). I eventually got home, but it was late. And I was soaked

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print