Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shortcutting OK is OK (Read 487 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Shortcutting OK is OK
Jun 6th, 2009, 9:36pm

My two DF friends and I had a nice ride Friday, shortcutting the OK is OK permanent.  I was a little concerned about car traffic having to make our way through downtown Greenville at 7:30AM, but it turned out to be no big deal.  We had an easy time making our way northbound up to Leonard, then made our way through the "Leviathans," with the last climb apparently being around 9% maxing out to 13%.

We went through Ector, and crossed 82, planning to make a right turn (according to Google Maps) and cut across to the north side of Bonham.  We stopped a mile or so up to gaze a while at the Wacko Waterslide,

We continued on, following the road as it turned to the east, splitting from the section that goes north to the OK border.  This eastbound road ALSO supposedly went all the way to Hwy 78 north of Bonham -- but when we crossed 121, it dead ended about a mile and a half later!  So, we backtracked to 121, where one of the other guys suddenly had a flat.  

Two tubes later (the CO2 cartridge blew out the first tube he tried), we were back on the road, through Bonham and southbound.  Saw a few dogs along the way, as usual...

I had forgotten about the ugly 9 miles of chipseal on Hwy 271...  my friends were not happy with me...   Cheesy  But, we persevered through it, making our way to Wolfe City, arriving about 1PM.  They apparently need a spellchecker in the county sign department...   Cheesy

It was getting a little warm by this time, but not bad, considering it's June!!

The smooth pavement of Hwy 34 and relatively downhill slope was a welcome change for the last 20 miles back to Greenville, and we finished at 2:30 with an even 90 miles over a bit less than 7 hours.  Both my friends really enjoyed the route, having never done it before.

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2009, 9:37pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Re: Shortcutting OK is OK
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2009, 8:39pm

The guy with the waterslide is a very interesting person. He hosts one of the rest stops for the Autumn in Bonham ride. He is a retired engineer and likes to come up with interesting "toys" for the grandchildren. A couple of years ago he had a long rope swing launching from the second story of the house. He also designed a front wheel bike thet he had on display in the front yard. If you do the Bonham ride this year, be sure to stop and say hello - he likes recumbent bikes.

Corsa Ken
+

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Shortcutting OK is OK
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2009, 9:12pm

Excellent!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"