Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:14am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vittoria Rando tank tire long test ride (Read 543 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Vittoria Rando tank tire long test ride
May 30th, 2009, 8:54pm

I found my little commute and the short social club rides just didn't give me an appreciation of what tanks my new tires are. Good and bad really. I feel like I can roll through anything and I also feel like I'm pulling a tank up hill  Shocked

This really hit me on the tail end of the River Roll 200k I did friday where I had at least 10 bonus miles between missed turns, assumed turns based on the outgoing route that ended up wrong and hunting for a dropped phone where I walked a good mile with the bike backwards down the shoulder. Oh and twice I chased down roadies and blew past turns without even realizing it, oops.

It was a real treat seeing an actually bike trail that seemed to go somewhere. Actually besides white rock lake I had never seen a MUP/Trail at all so Trinity Trail with many places where there was a bike path with striping and a separate crushed gravel walking/jogging path was a real treat. One thing I noticed at some points was I was just going slow on the outbound leg because there was nothing around to set a pace from.

Before I head out.

First hitting the trail.. the long empty trail

Flowers along the trail

Flowers in the park

A nice cactus in the park

A nice glass A&W at the bait shop

almost time to head out again for another few hours before visiting the store again

Traffic wasn't bad at all on the roads I hit. Perhaps it was because I was out on friday. I really like the ride much better then say oh ITALY but I could be biased and I could just have really liked all those big bike paths! The only one around here that is any good is a couple hundred feet to cut between two neighborhoods but that is all I got.

It took me exactly 12 hours and I did walk the final hill. Perhaps the A&W did me in or something bad I ate before then but I couldn't drink or eat anything much after I got out of the parks the first time.
The tires and suspension got alot of workout. I did ride on the rough gravel strewn shoulder quite a bit and even rode about half a mile on grass path between two sidewalks till I realized I wasn't actually supposed to go up that hill I came down in the beginning and instead go down to the service road. Oh well bonus climbing is good for you right!

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2009, 10:34pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: Vittoria Rando tank tire long test ride
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2009, 9:32pm

Hm perhaps that perm was harder then I thought. Plus I was pretty dehydrated at the end I think weighed about 10 lbs less when I got home then when I left. Just uploaded my GPS data which had a few miles frozen where I had to merge the files but it shows a bit of climbing? Sometimes I wonder if my GPS is accurate at all.
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8382716#
Total Time (h:m:s) 12:11:51  
Moving Time (h:m:s) 10:04:05  
Distance (mi ) 131.03  
Moving Speed (mph) 13.0 avg
Elevation Gain (ft) +5,505 / -5,652
Would have been nice if it didn't freeze for what looks like 26 minutes (I actually went a few miles off course when it froze because I was chasing folks) and I didn't make all the wrong turns so I'd have a good gps account of it all if I go ride it again.. Yup again  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2009, 9:47pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print