Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:24am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bobcat Bite 100k Permanent (Read 2137 times)
Bud_Bent

Bobcat Bite 100k Permanent
May 17th, 2009, 6:48pm

Rose and I traveled to Celina this morning to tackle Steve's Bobcat Bite 100k permanent. We rolled out at 9:00 am, along with seven other riders.  I rode my Stratus XP, and Rose and I rode our own pace, watching everyone else soon disappear off in the distance in front of us.  

It was Rose's first 100k, and the first time I've ridden that kind of distance on the SXP. Its more upright seat is less comfortable for me for a long ride than the Corsa's Euromesh seat, but it's more comfortable for this kind of distance than the Nimbus was (RANS mesh seat vs Sun EZ mesh seat). I have to work to keep up with Rose, when she's on the Xstream and I'm on the SXP.

This route starts in Celina, heads northeast to the next control in Howe, a bit more north, then west and south to Tioga and Pilot Point, then east back to Celina. The first leg of the route to Howe isn't very hilly, but it is a pretty steady elevation gain, and it was against a stiff northeast wind this morning, making it pretty tough for Rose and I.

Soon after Howe, though, we turned west and then south, and the tailwind was great. On one southbound uphill north of Gunter, we carried enough speed from the last downhill that we barely dipped below 30 mph before cresting the hill.  

It was tailwind fun all the way to Pilot Point, then 12 miles of boulder-seal and rolling hills against the wind to get back to Celina. Rose was starting to fade on this stretch, and struggled with those hills, but then finished her first 100k strong. Big congrats on your first 100k, Dear!  Smiley

I ended up with 64.2 miles, and we finished the ride in 5:30. Lunch at Lucy's afterward was great, and we really enjoyed visiting with Steve, Peggy, Mark M, Linda, and Greg after the ride. Who understands the thrill of your first 100k better than other randonneurs?  

Heal fast, Peggy!

Here are Rose and I after the ride.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2021, 4:54pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Bobcat Bite 100k Permanent
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2009, 7:09pm

Congratulations to Rose. Your first 100k, AND you did on my route! Thanks to all who came & rode. Greg rode strong all day, Mark M. was a great ride host, & Peggy made an appearance both pre/post ride.  

Celina is a long way for Mark & Linda M., Greg, & Bud & Rose. Thanks for coming & riding. I hope you enjoyed the route. Those last 12 miles live up to the "Bite" name in the title. Nelson said he was bitten by the route on the "fixie" on Friday.  

Lucy's isn't half bad either, is it?  That was a very good day.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2009, 7:53pm

Whoo!! Hoo!! way to go Rose!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2009, 8:37pm

Way to go Rose Smiley.
                                                 Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2009, 8:39pm

I was very stoked to see Rose ride on in, and looking fresh as a daisy to boot!  Fantastic job to both the Bakers.  And to Steve.  I haven't had that much fun on a hard training ride in I don't know when.  Steve and I meshed together pretty well and did a decent job of pulling and drafting in the wind.   He usually walks away from me whenever he wants but we stayed pretty even until midway through the chipseal.  After that I was toast and he dusted me.  A great route and one I won't hesitate to do again and again.

By the way Steve, since you were asking about my stats.  209 average watts, with a 616 max.  147 average HR  174 max.  max speed 41.6

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2009, 9:51pm

Rose, LSR Randonneur of the year? Greg & I hung together all day,drafting & riding together. My computer read 20.35 mph avg,when we finished. Ride time-3hrs,28 mins. Bike time-3hours, 4 mins, 49 seconds. My top speed was 41.6 mph as well. Total mileage-64.23 miles.

We were smoking today. One of the faster LSR riders ,rode with us for the first 46 miles(until the Tioga control). He said that we were killing his training ride(too fast) & that he was ready to puke from riding so hard,so long. He finished 1 minute ahead of Greg & I(only because we took a few extra minutes at the Tioga control)& he was in/out in a flash. We were definitely gaining on him at the end. I set a PR on the route today at 3hrs,28 mins. It's possible to ride this route faster & still be legal(with opening times at controls),but only by 1 minute. So ,I have a new goal,I guess ,BUT I was very happy with the effort today.  Smiley

It was good to see Peggy on FM 455 passing us,heading toward Celina(in the car). I think she may have pictures of us during the final 3 or 4 miles. I missed riding with her today, but she'll back on the bike soon enough.

I came home & jumped on the Corsa SS after the ride just for a recovery ride. Ahhhhh, the Euro-mesh & NEW 2" seat pad are soooo cushy. I think I might have been as fast or maybe even faster on the "SS" today. I cruised on the recovery ride at 18.1 mph with NO PROBLEM.   Smiley

Congrats again to Rose & Bud.   Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2009, 10:36pm

Thank You all for your Support!!!!!  And mostly Bud, for hanging in there with me.  The Ride was enjoyable, was doing great..till last 4 miles!!!  Them hills really took all I had left in me....but i did it!!!  As Bud and I were driving home.....we were discussing how I need to train myself on some hills.   But...i know it's something i have to do.  Took me this long to do my first 100k....and better yet.....it was Steve's route!!!  I will do another one.. somewhere sometime,  but first gotta train myself on them hills.  

Thank you Peggy, Steve...Mark, Linda and Gregg for joining us at Lucy's Cafe. The food was great, and company as well!  I had fun, beautiful day, not to mention was nice and cool weather at start of ride.  

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2009, 7:53am

Congratulations Rose.  It's a great feeling.  

Angie was a tad upset that I didn't tell her you were riding your first 100k, as she really wanted to ride with you.  I told her it was by invitation only, and that didn't help matters.  So then I told her I have been ousted from riding due to my knee inury, and at that point I was just digging a deeper hole.   Smiley

Congrats to Steve and Greg who smoked the course.  Way to go guys.  

Personally, I was a good boy yesteday.  As you all know, it was as close to a perfect day as we get here.  I stayed home all day, and did nothing physical.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2009, 8:54am

Ray, we're all very proud of you!

Steve, I hope you're as tired and sore as I am.  I know part of it is from the constant sneezing and inability to breathe, which got worse through the day, and the meds I took to try and be able to breathe, but I wish I could stay home today!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2009, 10:10am

Quote from aikigreg on May 18th, 2009, 8:54am:
Ray, we're all very proud of you!

Steve, I hope you're as tired and sore as I am.  I know part of it is from the constant sneezing and inability to breathe, which got worse through the day, and the meds I took to try and be able to breathe, but I wish I could stay home today!

Greg, ZERO soreness. I came home & rode 10+ miles(30 minutes) recovery ride to get rid of the lactic acid. Then I had to work 10:00pm-3:30am last night/this morning. 4 hours of sleep,I'm good as new.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2009, 12:36pm

Well then, I admit defeat.  Apparently it took everything I had and then some just to keep up with you!  You are the man!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2009, 12:44pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 18th, 2009, 12:36pm:
Well then, I admit defeat.  Apparently it took everything I had and then some just to keep up with you!  You are the man!  

Now way,how can I be the man when you're the man!   Smiley  I needed that 10 mile post ride recovery.  Actually,I'm headed out now for a 30 minute easy spin ride.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2009, 1:03pm

Hey, I feel no shame in admitting defeat when I've given my best.   Smiley

I bet you feel like I do though - why wasn't I bitten with this bug TEN YEARS ago!?!  Or even 20?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2009, 1:29pm

Hey this route killed me on Friday and I did it *2hrs* slower than you guys!

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #14 - May 18th, 2009, 2:28pm

Quote from Kwijybow on May 18th, 2009, 1:29pm:
Hey this route killed me on Friday and I did it *2hrs* slower than you guys!  

On a single speed "fixie" no less. Now you're the man!  Grin

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print