Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:12am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head For the Hills (Read 824 times)
catroad254

rbent member

Head For the Hills
May 10th, 2009, 3:00pm

I did the "Head for the Hills" metric century ride in Cedar Hill this weekend. This the third year for this ride and they put on a very good ride. The route has virtually no chip seal and is mostly low traffic roads. The rest stops are well stocked and had plenty of porta-johns. Rest stop five was especially good with Chick-fil-a sandwiches and masseurs to take any cramps out. Turns were well marked as were any defects in the road surface. Red Robin hamburgers served at the end of the ride.  

I didn't see many bents. Rick(Beertruck) from Houston was there as well as another Corsa rider whose name escapes me. More bents should do this ride. In spite of the name the amount of climbing is not bad at all and there are a couple of really nice downhill runs.  

Corsa Ken

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Head For the Hills
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2009, 10:44pm

I do this route quite a lot actually, even though I've never ridden the pay ride.  It's the route I use for when I want a safe low stress night ride.  Great route for sure.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2009, 7:43pm

Hey Ken,  

I thought seriously about doing this ride but did the club ride with the Greenville Area Social Pedalists (GASP) instead. It was closer!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2009, 9:50pm

Quote from catroad254 on May 10th, 2009, 3:00pm:
I did the "Head for the Hills" metric century ride in Cedar Hill this weekend. This the third year for this ride and they put on a very good ride. The route has virtually no chip seal and is mostly low traffic roads. The rest stops are well stocked and had plenty of porta-johns. Rest stop five was especially good with Chick-fil-a sandwiches and masseurs to take any cramps out. Turns were well marked as were any defects in the road surface. Red Robin hamburgers served at the end of the ride.

I didn't see many bents. Rick(Beertruck) from Houston was there as well as another Corsa rider whose name escapes me. More bents should do this ride. In spite of the name the amount of climbing is not bad at all and there are a couple of really nice downhill runs.

Corsa Ken

Ken,

The 3rd Corsa rider was me. I first met you at the Turkey Trot ride last year. Also, I talked to you in the church parking lot after the Lancaster Country ride (I was on the red Actionbent MidRacer).

This ride was great. No killer hills, fun rollers, and mostly smooth roads (I did the 40-mile route).

Despite the verbal warning given at the staging area, and markings on the pavement, a DF rider crashed and burned on the 1st blind curve. Looked like he may have broken his arm. He was in the ditch being administered first aid by the Cedar Hill FD when I passed.

Jay G.

Email   IP Logged
system-f

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2009, 1:51pm

Is there somewhere I can find out when these rides are going on?

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2009, 2:01pm

Quote from system-f on May 12th, 2009, 1:51pm:
Is there somewhere I can find out when these rides are going on?  

John Sadowski posts upcoming pay rides on his Bicycle Stuff calendar page.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2009, 3:47pm

Quote:
John Sadowski posts upcoming pay rides on his Bicycle Stuff calendar page.

Bud,
Thank you
John

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print