Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:13am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peachy Keene 200k Permanent (Read 1422 times)
Bud_Bent

Peachy Keene 200k Permanent
May 9th, 2009, 8:38pm

Seven of us rode my Peachy Keene 200k permanent this morning, leaving out of southwest Arlington at 7:30 am. Besides me, there was Steve, Peggy, Ray, Greg, and Mark and Linda M. This route goes southwest through Kennedale, then Keene, before stopping at Cleburne. Then it heads pretty much straight south, turning east a few miles west of Covington, going through Covington and on to Itasca. Then it goes over Orphan Hill, and down the other side to the next stop at Maypearl. Then it turns back north to Alvarado, then back to Arlington.

After all the dire forecasts from yesterday, it turned out to be a beautiful day. The front had already arrived at the start, and we had a north breeze, but we soon seemed to move ahead of the front as we headed south. It was mostly cloudy, and did get a bit warm with all the humidity, until we turned to head back north. By then the wind was from the north, and starting to pick up, and it was much cooler the rest of the way.

It was not a hammering pace among the group today, and I was able to stay with everyone for most of the ride. A couple of the bigger hills found me off the back for a while, but that's the norm. The roads were in good shape for the most part, and with everything so green, some of these Johnson county roads with their canopy of trees overhead, were really beautiful.  

I ended up with 124.2 miles, and finished in 9:59. Thanks, everyone. I really enjoyed the ride and especially the company.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Peachy Keene 200k Permanent
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2009, 9:24pm

Bud, did the hunger pains go away yet? That has to be one of your shorter, albeit , dead-on , ride reports I've seen from you(but since you have to be up at O-dark thirty to catch some fish tomorrow, I understand).  

This is a great route ,one of the better 200k routes that I've ridden in a very long time. If I heard correctly , this route has approx. 4,400 ft of climb for the 124+ miles. Very scenic , low traffic ,& excellent roads lends itself to a good day on the bike. Mix in good friends & good weather & that's a great day. And Orphan hill wasn't that bad.  

It was fun to ride with Greg again(it's been too long, & you looked good on the Corsa & rode well), as did Bud, Peggy ,Ray, Mark & Linda Metcalfe rode strong all day. They are always so positive & fun to ride with. Thanks for everyone for riding today.  

Dinner afterwards at the Brick Oven was exactly what the was needed to feed some hungry cyclists ,well all but one-Bud's order was misplaced , so he got a little cranky ,while waiting on his food(I did share my food with the route owner-brownie points).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2009, 11:21am

It was a great route, Bud.  Congrats on designing a very scenic, and deceptively "roller" rider.  If I remember the RUSA site listed it around ~2900 feet of climbing.  When Steve mentioned you all were going to ride it, I thought... sure, my knee can handle 2900' of climbing, albeit slow.  Well, my Garmin showed 4200' of climbing.  No complaints though.  I loved it.  It was definately tough (I didn't say painful Peddlin' Peggy) climbing the many ~7% grades, none of them were very long.  

There are many twisty roads, all of which were tree lined which made for a very fun ride.  

Thanks to Greg, Linda, Mark, Peggy, Steve and Bud who were encouraging to me.  Since I took the climbs at a low intensity (meaning just above stall speed), I'm not sore at all this morning, I'm not going to ride any more 200k (or longer) until I can rehab the knee.    I'll be calling the infamous Dr. Crusher tomorrow and hope he takes my insurance.  

HAPPY MOTHER DAY!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2009, 11:29am

This was one of the best rides I've done to date.  The scenic roads with arching tree cover make it look like you're pedalling through a dark green tunnel.  It's especially so now with all the green leaves from the rain.  The low traffic means low stress and lots of good conversation with the best people around.

I'm continually impressed how with steady riding you can turn long rides into doable jaunts.  Peggy was commenting on how 200ks are almost no-brainers now that she's done so many.  At one point she and I were chatting and everyone was way ahead in the distance and I said "oops, no lollygagging!" and sped on.  We were "lollygagging" at 17mph and it took a steady pace of 22-23 to catch up.  It's amazing what you can do with these "slow bikes" when you want to.  

Bud and Steve blew the doors off the last 10 uphill into the wind miles.  There was no catching them.  Great job, y'all, and it was the most fun riding I've had in a long time.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2009, 3:21pm

Curious minds wanna know.. How was the fancy blue bike and was there any chip seal to beat up on it?

Glad to hear y'all had a good ride and the weather was pretty good for ya out there. I just did a little 36 mile scenic ride and stayed in the back with a couple new riders. Actually had a boxer and mutt come out after us when a new lady was going 4mph up a hill. I called it over and it just seemed to stay behind me going back and forth barking not knowing what to do with the a recumbent I guess.  It was a rather friendly dog and I'm afraid if I had under seat steering it would probably have jumped on my lap.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2009, 3:29pm

EV ,that "blue" bike is a rocket ship. It climbs effortlessly , the little chip seal that we encountered was hardly noticeable. This is just an awesome bike in every aspect. This was my first long distance on the new CA 2.0(with a carbon seat) & I couldn't have been more pleased with the bike & how I felt afterward.

As this route shares roads with Bud's Briar Oaks training route ,there are dogs a plenty, 2 in fact named
"Peachy" & Keene".

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2009, 6:56pm

The vibration dampening of carbon was the whole reason I bought the carbent.  It let me stay in the SWB class and still ride long distances on crappy texas roads.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2009, 7:48pm

Ray, good luck with the knee issue. I hope it's better soon. Yes, the 2400 feet of climbing that bikely showed is definitely low. My 305 has also shown 4200 feet both times I've done the entire route. I need to get Edward to change the RUSA listing.  

All the turns, and the miles of tiny, twisty country roads will keep it from ever being a speed route where you try for your personal best 200k time, but if you want to have a conversation without having to shout over traffic, it works well for that.

My average heart rate for the entire ride was 142, so I guess I put out a bigger effort than I thought. That may explain why I was so wiped out when I got home last night, and when I got up at 4:00 am this morning to go fishing.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2009, 7:56pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2009, 9:00pm

Quote from Killer Bee on May 10th, 2009, 3:29pm:
EV ,that "blue" bike is a rocket ship.

Only when you put a rocket engine on it.
I think I'd embarrass it. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2009, 9:14pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - May 10th, 2009, 10:02pm

Quote from evblazer on May 10th, 2009, 9:00pm:
Quote from Killer Bee on May 10th, 2009, 3:29pm:
EV ,that "blue" bike is a rocket ship.

Only when you put a rocket engine on it.
I think I'd embarrass it. Smiley

I was thinking just the opposite. You and the "Blue" bike, a dream made in heaven.  Smiley
You know you want one.  Smiley

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #11 - May 10th, 2009, 10:18pm

I don't remember where I read it but someone said a lighter weight more refined machine would be of more benefit to a not rocket engine type rider. Not sure I buy that unless I was just trying to rationalize  Smiley

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print