Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The human squirrel and other training tails. (Read 568 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

The human squirrel and other training tails.
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:07pm

So tonight's required workout was a 10 minute warmup, 40 minutes at 130-160 heart rate, and 10 minutes cool down.   Not real stressful since my last 200k was at 143 average.  So I decided to try and do the whole 40 minutes in the big ring.  Alexis went out with me and we warmed up together until a group of 4 roadies zoomed by and I had to play fox and rabbits.  Hung on their tails for a couple miles until 1 of the roadies was dropped and I tried to bridge him back up but he was blown or not very strong.  At the wide spot on the trail I called "on yer left" and was gone.  The leader sucked wheel for a few hundred yards at 23, 24, 25.  At 26 he fell behind and at 28 he was a spot on the rearview.  I hit 29 and just kept going from there.  I was fresh legged - who knows how long those other guys had ridden?

Nothing else interesting other than the setting sun on the trinity, the flying and nesting cranes, and the human squirrel.  I called out "on your left" and he ran left.  Then right.  Then froze in the middle of the path.  I had to stop to keep from impaling the poor man.  No big deal.  I have learned to expect it on the trail and don't let it bug me like some rider's I've seen.

16.48 miles
138 bpm average, 169 max
17.7 average including warm up and cool down - training average more like 21
300 whopping feet of climbing  Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Re: The human squirrel and other training tails.
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2009, 11:15am

You fast guys are amazing to me.  Thanks for letting us slowpokes live vicariously!

BTW, I never yell, "on yer left" to a jogger.  I always yell, "BICYCLE!"  Or, "BICYCLE BIKE BIKE BIKE!"  If you do that, they stay where they are or even move to the right.  Keeps me from having to clean human squirrel guts out of my spokes.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2009, 12:44pm

Fast is relative.  There's always people faster than you.  Watching Jim Kern at Sebring doing 486 miles in the span of time I did 304 was just awe-inspiring.  I can hold my own with Steve on the flats, but he just walks away from me on any uphill grade.  Bud beats the snot out of me on any city limit sign sprint.  

Its all in what you train for.  I am actually slower now than I was a couple years ago and am trying to get that back.  I have the benefit of being able to train a lot.  That's both good and bad, as sometimes the scenery is wasted on me.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have an 18-pound bike (before I put 20 pounds of junk and 210 pound of crap on it!)   Smiley

Good idea about the joggers!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2009, 3:10pm

Don't forget most cyclists are just as clueless what "on your left is". I heard it once in Connecticut where some roadie/TT guy  was passing me when I was riding on route 1 on the way home from school. I looked to my left and wondered what the heck he was talking about.  
A decade or two later I get on bikeforums and finally realized what that guy was saying. I guess since I was riding a 12 speed he thought I knew the lingo  Cool I was definately alot faster up some really steep hills back when I was a hundred or so and wirey.

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2009, 3:12pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print