Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Billy the Kid Ride (Read 582 times)
FrankB

rbent member

Billy the Kid Ride
Apr 8th, 2009, 6:36pm

Saturday, April 4 was my first long ride in my P-38.  If fact it was also my longest ride in several years.  I rode from my house in Glen Rose to Fossil Rim Overlook, on to Walnut Springs, then over to Iredell, then south to Hico for Billy the Kid day!!  So far the ride was 35 miles and almost perfect with convenience stores every 12-15 miles and not much wind. I had a tailwind the last 12 miles on Hwy 6 into Hico (too much traffic here).  
 Main Street was blocked off for vendor booths, music, and gunfights Smiley  There were about 100 cyclists here when I arrived but the only one that was not on a Harley was me. I visited around for awhile and the beer at Jersey Lilly's look cold but........
I was able to escape being put in jail by the sherriff and his poker playing possee since I was in line at the time for one of the best $5 BBQ sandwiches in a while.  

I headed for home after a couple of hours to complete my loop and the best part of the ride.  15 miles north with a south tailwind of about 20 mph, then 10 miles east mostly down hill to my home 1 mile west of Glen Rose.  
Total 60 miles and not much worse for wear.  I cramped some in both quads on the last big hills coming into Glen Rose but 3 Tums fixed that promptly.  My butt was sore.  I had replaced the foam pad with a Thermarest "lite" seat but I will have to find a thicker solution.  Anybody have any ideas?

Avg Speed was 10.5 mph and I finished in 5:30 hours. OBTW I am not only old (Medicare started this year, good grief) but I am also slow.
This would be a good ride for a group even if it is not BTK day, we could have pie at CCCafe or we could eat at the big convenience store across the street where it appears that most of the locals eat. We could start from my house  and avoid going up the big hill that has no shoulder on Highway 67 west out of Glen Rose that we would have to climb if we started in town.  
If there are takers we will do it sometime.

Thanks Greg for letting me know about the forum.  If there is a group I can stay with I look frontwards to riding with that group.  
Everyday is Saturday
FrankB

Frank Barrow
Everyday is Saturday

2007 Lightning P-38 (new 01/2009)
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Billy the Kid Ride
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2009, 8:06pm

Frank!  so very glad you could join us.  That sounds like a great route.  There's plenty of us here that are 10-11mph riders, so I'm sure you can find a partner.  I love riding down hear you and plan to be there quite often in the coming months, but I'll be intentionally seeking out the biggest and longest grades I can find.  I'll probably be riding there again this weekend, so if you like we could ride togetehr for a few miles and have lunch.

About your behind:  It will take a bit for your behind to adjust to the seat for those kinds of distances.  The p-38 is a little upright which helps it be a good climber but it can get you a little butt-sore until you get used to it.  

Congrats on the ride.  60 miles is a heckuva distance - doesn't matter who you are!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2009, 9:17pm

Welcome to the forum, Frank!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2009, 10:19pm

Sounds like an enjoyable route - I've been through Hico and that area almost every year, going down to Kerrville for the folk festival...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FrankB

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2009, 10:22am

Howdy again,  
Thanks for the welcome.  
Greg, let's ride sometime. We will be out of town this weekend.  We could do the Paluxy Loop,  you can start from Cleburne and I will start from Glen Rose and we could finish at the same time!   Smiley

Frank Barrow
Everyday is Saturday

2007 Lightning P-38 (new 01/2009)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print