Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:14am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hill Country 600K Race? (Read 3196 times)
AustinSkater

Re: Hill Country 600K Race?
Reply #15 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 8:21pm

Quote from goatstick on Mar 23rd, 2009, 5:13pm:
Quote from Killer Bee on Mar 23rd, 2009, 4:36pm:

And the next time I hear "recumbents can't climb" ,I will always remember the climbs & the success rate of both recumbents finishing the race(and both finishing with very respectful times).

-Steve

But seriously, I wonder if I shouldn't hold a little speed-climbing seminar for high-racers... Maybe use a couple of you as guinea pigs to try to see if it's worth trying to put what I've learned into words and techniques. Let me know when you are ready!

If you do that, I will gladly head down that way, and I'm willing to suggest a target to train for: Tour das Hugel in Austin.  100+ miles with 14,000+ feet of climbing (give or take on both).  The last time I did it I hit 30% on my Garmin (bad line on a curving climb), with lots of 20 - 25 % grades.  It's held in November, and as far as I know (I've been at the last three of them) there has never been a 'bent to start it, let alone finish.

Bryan

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 8:32pm

Sounds like fun   Smiley

I think many of us would finish, but I'd be walking up some of those hills!  At about 20 percent I start getting the feeling I'm going to go bass ackwards.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2009, 5:03am

Quote from AustinSkater on Mar 23rd, 2009, 8:21pm:

But seriously, I wonder if I shouldn't hold a little speed-climbing seminar for high-racers... Maybe use a couple of you as guinea pigs to try to see if it's worth trying to put what I've learned into words and techniques. Let me know when you are ready!

If you do that, I will gladly head down that way, and I'm willing to suggest a target to train for: Tour das Hugel in Austin.  100+ miles with 14,000+ feet of climbing (give or take on both).  The last time I did it I hit 30% on my Garmin (bad line on a curving climb), with lots of 20 - 25 % grades.  It's held in November, and as far as I know (I've been at the last three of them) there has never been a 'bent to start it, let alone finish.

Bryan

*speed-climbing* :^)  Starting out with 20% climbs likely isn't a good way to work on that. I hit 18% on the switchbacks up the road to my house and though I've become more stable in the year I've had the Corsa, I haven't gotten much faster (stable, as in keeping the front wheel mostly on the ground and not swerving off the road in the sharp turn when it does). On my carbon road bike the front wheel levitates slightly on almost every pedal stroke and I haven't gotten a whole lot faster in the 4 years of riding it up the hill either. OTOH, I've been lifting the front wheel on ~4%-6% short climbs at over 30mph the last month on the Corsa. And that's the strange part - I can often hit about 35-38mph on flat ground without a wind for short bursts but under the right circumstances I can go almost that fast (30-32mph) up moderate grades. It feels to me like the grade places a more usable load on my quads than flat ground so I can crank a *lot* more power through it. That's the power output/technique that makes the short, steep rollers around here really fast and really fun. You just run off and leave the roadies (me included if I'm on my road bike).

I think the best way to get better at long, steep grades is mainly just get the base miles in. Like headwinds, you just get used to it and gain a couple mph without undue stress. Changing up pull/push muscle groups often so you don't tire one set out and working on pedal technique. That's what saved me on the steeper 337 climbs during the race when I had no power. I was only a few mph slower than normal on the steepest climbs. I lost *far* more ground not being able to crank the lighter grades and rollers.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2009, 7:58am

[.... you'll be flying up hills listening to people yell "That's not fair - recumbents aren't supposed to climb!"

Fun, isn't it!!!!????!!!

Good reports, Kent, and again, welcome!  Sorry you did such a number on your legs....   Sad

Good information about the sugar overload, though....!!!

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2009, 4:28pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 24th, 2009, 7:58am:

Fun, isn't it!!!!????!!!

Good reports, Kent, and again, welcome!  Sorry you did such a number on your legs....   Sad

Good information about the sugar overload, though....!!!

Paul

Thanks. It's just great fun to ride such an insanely fast bike. Weird how such a small thing can completely change your life.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #20 - Mar 25th, 2009, 5:44am

Steve - I've had PC problems at home. While I need the PC Dr. to come to our house, I have it working enough to check e-mails, etc.  I'll post a crew race report tonight.  I also have the short videos loaded on my flickr site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22734648@N07/sets/72157615865486458/

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #21 - Mar 25th, 2009, 9:31am

Quote from bikerteam on Mar 25th, 2009, 5:44am:
Steve - I've had PC problems at home. While I need the PC Dr. to come to our house, I have it working enough to check e-mails, etc.  I'll post a crew race report tonight.  I also have the short videos loaded on my flickr site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22734648@N07/sets/72157615865486458/

Ray, those videos bring back great memories. Thanks for sharing. So your ride report will be on Bacchetta's forum tonight?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print