Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:22am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1100+ miles on a hurricane (Read 1035 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

1100+ miles on a hurricane
Jan 20th, 2009, 3:15pm

This past Thanksgiving I became the 3rd, or perhaps 4th, owner of a shiney well worn in Hurricane (model:??).  
I rode it a little after unpacking it then put in a little over 30 miles the following day and it went really well. So well that my Giro 26 decided to crack it's front fork in protest  Smiley (yes Bacchetta sent me a new one right away). So my intended weekend ride with the wife bike turned into my commuter and it worked great. My fears of small wheels with expansion joints and rail road tracks were found to be more related to the BikeE CT I used to ride and not any small wheeler.
The rear shock takes pretty much anything you throw at it without slowing the bike down. Chipseal, potholes, expansion joints, railroad tracks and the occasional curb.

It still needs a little work. I just got the ventisit seat pad in and used it for the first time on CheeburgerCheeburger and it was great. I changed out the Bulletproof BMX Cranks with a 60/46 for a some FSA road cranks with 53/39 Q-Rings borrowed from another bike which will soon be replaced by a 54/40 set. Yes that means that I can't accellerate at a normal cadence past 35 or so but that is still pretty rare for me and typically involves long hills.

The preying mantis is a little tight but it gives me a nice view of the road and I can easily ride pretty much all day one handed on the worst roads, no i'm not trying no hands. I did lose some storage space compared to the giro26 but most would say that is a good thing. I did find that a fanny pack moved up to the ribs when riding works perfectly and allows me to hop off the bike with nearly everything on my person so no rifling through the bag. My wallet/keys are in my jersey so they can't fall out accidently. The brevet card is in a zipped pocket so it can't fly out when I look through the bag.

Here is a little pic I put up for mi madre.

and another of the bike.
yes this pic is facing the wrong way but turning the bike around would mean we would have been heading away from the control  Smiley

I have ridin the Giro 26 36 miles since T-day. When I get the rack adapter I'll hopefully start riding it some more or at least trying to. My hope is to switch off between the two but so far it hasn't been working out.

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2009, 3:04pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: 1100+ miles on a hurricane - motionbase commut
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2009, 10:13am

Hmm apparantly my commute to work is downhill in more ways than one  lips sealed

Here is the trip info
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7490483#

Hmm I wonder if this works.. follow the link..  
On the map click satellite (or hybrid for street names)  zoom in a bit
Then click on the play button above the map and you can follow my meandering commute route. Note: it defaults to 3x you can change the speed next to the play button.
All the wonderful sites I get to see like truck depots and highways ahh how scenic  Smiley  
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/7490483

Now if only I hadn't cleared the miles and tracks after that 200k I could post cheeburgercheeburger  embarrassed

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2009, 11:09am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: 1100+ miles on a hurricane
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2009, 1:09pm

Cool Mark!  Thanks for sharing, you don't happen to recall what you recorded for climbing on CheeBurger do you?  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2009, 1:17pm

Due to my newness to gps land unfortunately none of the miles/climbing/time data was useful off of my GPS since I didn't clear it pre-ride. I just used it for miles and estimated time to completion/checkpoint data and unfortunately cleared it after the ride.  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2009, 10:08pm

Quote from evblazer on Jan 21st, 2009, 10:13am:
Hmm apparantly my commute to work is downhill in more ways than one  lips sealed
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/chart/get.do?xy.width=372&xy.height=140&a mp;episodePk.pkValue=7490483&xy.domain=totalDistance&xy.ranges=elevation&xy.autoFit=false&xy.legendVisible=false
Here is the trip info
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7490483#

Hmm I wonder if this works.. follow the link..
On the map click satellite (or hybrid for street names)  zoom in a bit
Then click on the play button above the map and you can follow my meandering commute route. Note: it defaults to 3x you can change the speed next to the play button.
All the wonderful sites I get to see like truck depots and highways ahh how scenic  Smiley
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/7490483

Now if only I hadn't cleared the miles and tracks after that 200k I could post cheeburgercheeburger  embarrassed

If I'm reading that map right you either live at the Double Oak school or the Police station????

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2009, 5:50am

Quote from mleuck on Jan 21st, 2009, 10:08pm:
If I'm reading that map right you either live at the Double Oak school or the Police station????

Close by. That is where the GPS synchronized to the satellites and started recording though.

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2009, 5:50am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

3,000+ miles on a hurricane
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2009, 7:02pm

Smiley Hm and this year I have 199 hours 59 minutes and 36 seconds of moving time overall between my Merlin and the Hurricane. Just 24 more seconds oy!  

The Giro is in Colorado at a new home errr. Ok it is on a Fedex truck because they failed delivery ooops.

Anyway I'm down to just the one recumbent.  Sad

Had at minimum the best time of the year, possible best time at my new office, for todays commute even with the nice rain.
46.81 miles  
Time: 02:46:04        
Avg: 16.91 mph

I even got to tease someone on a time trial bike with a full bicycle plus kit. I would catch up to them near a stop sign or light and then they'd blow through it and turn back to see I stopped.  I would catch them before the next one and it would repeat until I pulled next to them and turned left onto a side road.  

Overall after todays commute I have 3,027.2 miles on the hurricane. And with the recent tire discussions I should mention the rear tire is the one I put on it when I got it a Schwalbe Kojak which is good mileage for me especially since it is a softer tire and I think the 20" tire would see more wear? The front still had plenty of life left but I didn't want any trouble on the 400k. The day before I had to replace the tube when the old patches finally let go and after picking a few after I picked a dozen glass bits out of the tire I put a new tire on.

Kelvin hooked me up a couple weeks ago with a the telescoping insert for the tiller so I don't get any leg/finger interference when pedaling so the last of the fit problems has been taken care of.  

I even got rid of those pesky fenders and won't be putting them back on A) because the rear one just snapped right off and B) because I found being so low to the ground the spray out the side from the bottom of the wheels got me wet and the fenders do nothing to stop that.

Sadly I've gained 12 lbs since December so my climbing ain't getting any better. Maybe by next year I'll be able to keep my speed up when alot of hills are involved  undecided

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2009, 7:37pm

Truly a Manimal! Smiley

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 3,000+ miles on a hurricane
Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2009, 10:26pm

Quote from evblazer on Mar 25th, 2009, 7:02pm:
Smiley Overall after todays commute I have 3,027.2 miles on the hurricane. And with the recent tire discussions I should mention the rear tire is the one I put on it when I got it a Schwalbe Kojak which is good mileage for me especially since it is a softer tire and I think the 20" tire would see more wear? The front still had plenty of life left but I didn't want any trouble on the 400k. The day before I had to replace the tube when the old patches finally let go and after picking a few after I picked a dozen glass bits out of the tire I put a new tire on.

I've had Kojaks since after the Texas Time Trials in September, I may have around 3,000 + miles on them and they wear very well

I wouldn't worry about them on the 400K

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print