Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Back on the SXP (Read 281 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Back on the SXP
Feb 22nd, 2009, 7:02pm

I'm SLOOOOOOWLY getting used to being back on the Stratus XP, after seven mostly-nonstop months on the XStream proto...  The muscle adjustment isn't anywhere near as painful as the change to the XStream was, but that is probably because my first time out on the XStream was the GDB time trial sprint.. . and second time out was 60 miles on the TTTT course  Smiley two days later.

Anyway, I definitely noticed the difference into the wind on Wednesday, riding with Peggy and Steve.  When we hit those 25 mph west breezes, Steve and Peggy both left me waaaaay behind (especially Steve!), and I could barely hold 12 mph.

Saturday morning, I got outta the house early (7:30ish) before the wind kicked up, and rode north from the house up to Wylie.  When I was about a mile from Wylie, the front came through, HARD...  I pushed my way to the local McDonald's, really feeling that headwind, and stopped for a cuppa cawfee, chatting with some oldtimers  "retirees" who were curious about my bike ("Ah ain't never seen one of THOSE before!")  The ride home back to the south was nicely tailwind-aided.  But, I could definitely feel my quads telling me about the different riding posture than what they were used to, especially on the climbs on Pleasant Valley!

Today, I rode down to the afternoon GDB Mesquite ride, and hooked up with a half dozen others.  This route goes through some pretty good climb areas, including part of the Mesquite Rally route past Devil's Bowl speedway, and our GDB time trial loop.  I was keeping up fine on the flats and into the east wind, but they all dropped me like a dirty diaper on the hard climbs, and I was pushing hard to keep up a 20 mph rolling pace the rest of the time.  The "standard" RANS seat just doesn't support hard pedaling like the Hoagie does... I joked at the rest stop that "You've all obviously kept in better shape through the winter - I'm not used to being the last one in on this ride!"  (But I knew better...)

My quads were really letting me have it...  I rode about halfway back with the guys, then cut off for home, glad to be able to drop my speed back to 16-17....  Smiley   I guess I've got a bit of re-adjustment to do to re-build my legs for the SXP pedaling position!!!

Say, Rose, you don't suppose.....................     Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2009, 7:03pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Back on the SXP
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 8:18pm

ahh man I know how much that sucks, from my time spent on the v-rex this summer.  It's hard to drive the ford when you've had the ferrari on loan.  You need to go start selling bodily fluids or something to get a new x-treme Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print