Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thanksgiving jaunt into East Texas (Read 909 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Thanksgiving jaunt into East Texas
Nov 26th, 2008, 5:40pm

Well, I did my solo rando jaunt out to Lake Cypress Springs on Tuesday, pretty much without incident or mechanical...  I took the time to give Terrie random text message updates as to my mileage every 10-15 miles, just so she would know I was OK, and cellphone coverage was actually pretty good.  The day was perfect, 40s to 60s and full sunshine, and a light S/SW wind, giving me either a crosswind or tailwind most of the way.   However, a couple things DID occur which I thought were worth mentioning...

*  I left the house at 9:30AM, and arrived at the front gate of the development almost exactly 100 miles later, at 5PM, averaging just over 16 mph.  This included several gas station stops, and a visit with friends who own the Crossroads Coffeehouse in Winnsboro.  It was still a long day on the bike, due to chipseal and random hills.  This route actually includes part of a Rando route I did with Shellene last year, in her "Wylie to Yantis" permanent.  I had no incidents with vehicular traffic, except for one pickup that veered into my lane as he approached, but as I got to where he did it, he was actually moving over briefly to avoid a large chuck of retread in the road.

*  At Royse City, after ~20 miles, I stopped at a gas station, and discovered that the bite valve on my water bladder had decided to fall off...  and the hose came out of the clip, and fell to the ground, and ALL MY WATER HAD DRAINED OUT....    

So, I bought a couple water bottles, put 'em in my pack, and carried on.

*  About 45 miles in, a guy at a gas station approached me, and said, "I"ve seen you on the I-30 service road out in Mesquite...  I drive a gravel truck back and forth, and I recognize you...  cool bike!!!!"

*  Steve's right, the chipseal is predominant out here, with the exception of some fine asphalt in Hopkins County...   LWBs with fat tires only, recommended!  It was bearable, but definitely slowed my overall pace...

*  Total count of loose dogs was around eight, all of which I could outpace...  and had some other observers...

*  Scenery was pretty nice, once I got into pine tree area...

*  So, I'm riding out in the middle of nowhere, about 60 miles in, pull over to the side to dig into my pack for something, and I see this yellow shape (motorcycle?) coming down the road in the opposite direction...  It gets closer, and I recognize it, disbelievingly...   It's BOB MCCLURE, in the yellow-fairinged Rotator!!!!  

Apparently, this particular road went just a couple of miles from his house, and he was out on his daily ride...   Amazing coincidence...  so we talked for 10 minutes or so, and had a good laugh about it.

*  The Crossroads Coffeehouse in Winnsboro is a nice little establishment, that looks like a great place to hear live music.  Ray Wylie Hubbard is doing two shows there this weekend!!!

*  It was essentially 100 miles exactly to the front gate... kinda cool....  

got a good shot as the sun was sinking low...

Once I got to the house, today I gave a couple of cousins a test ride on the SXP...  they took to it immediately...

*  The weather forecast seems to have cleared up, so I might just ride back home tomorrow, instead of putting the bike on the car... (Terrie drove out here)  What's ANOTHER hundred miles, after doing over 250 in the last four days??   Cheesy

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2008, 5:55pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Thanksgiving jaunt into East Texas
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2008, 7:13pm

There's apparently a "Tour de Cypress" race and rally out here the third week of April....  Bob M is in their photos....

http://www.tourdecypress.com/webstart/pages/DSC_0629.html

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2008, 7:14pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2008, 8:44pm

Quote:
There's apparently a "Tour de Cypress" race and rally out here the third week of April

Apparently????  Dosen't any read my web page?

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2008, 8:26am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 26th, 2008, 5:40pm:

Once I got to the house, today I gave a couple of cousins a test ride on the SXP...  they took to it immediately...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/flyinglazboy/TGivingSolo/PB067.jpg

Is your cousin Diana single?   Cool

(Happy Thankgiving)

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2008, 8:38am

Quote from MrOverdressed on Nov 27th, 2008, 8:26am:

Is your cousin Diana single?   Cool

If you'll examine the photo more closely (in the area of her left hand, that is...   Wink ), you'll see a rather large rock positioned there....   Sad   Wink

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2008, 2:36pm

Paul ,congrats on the ride. Glad you made it safe & sound. There's always something to overcome on long distant rides(now you have HOSE issues? Seems to happen as one gets older-NOT that I would know).

I've ridden 4/5 LSR rides in E.Texas. Everyone has been loaded with BOULDER seal. I can handle this stuff in small doses. BUT 100+ miles just beats you down. I will be avoiding E.TX LSR rides from now on.  

Beautiful scenery(no ,I'm not talking about your cousin either).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2008, 6:04pm

Rides that really take you somewhere are always cool. And what are the odds of running into Bob McClure in the middle of nowhere? Great report and photos!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print