Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 11th, 2024, 6:43am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Target Heart Rate for Texas Time Trials. (Read 835 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Target Heart Rate for Texas Time Trials.
Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:54pm

What is your Target Heart Rate for Texas Time Trials?  For comparison sake, please also give your self-rated Max Heart rate.

I new to Heart Rate Monitors.   For now, pending further education and discovery, I picked a max heart rate of 174bpm.  My target heart rate will be 130bpm.  I set my alram zone from 120 to 140bpm.  130bpm is my calculated Maffetone caculated training max.  So it seemed like a good endurance target rate.  

TODAY I just received a Garmin FR50 watch in the mail.   I couldnt bite on the Edge 70 high cost, maybe next year.   This little watch has NO GPS but does have more features then I expected.  It can operate like a standard cycling computer and be paired to the Garmin Cadence/Speed sensor.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Target Heart Rate for Texas Time Trials.
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 3:57pm

Terry, I don't use an HRM, but I can pretty much guarantee you that if you try to stay at 130 bpm riding that course, it will take you an hour and a half to go around once...   Wink  but then again, you're doing 24 hours, so it's maybe not a bad idea...

The real keys to surviving this 20 mile loop are  1) don't burn yourself out on the first 8 miles of climbs;  2) Figure out which hills on the back side you can carry most of your speed up, and which you can't; and 3) realizing that once you're past the 15 mile point, it's mostly downhill from there, except for the very last climb before the Goatneck Hill descent, and the last 100 yards of incline to the finish.

Good luck, we'll be rooting you on...  you've picked a tough event!

A word of advice -- bring some warm clothing, it gets chilly at night, between laps when you're sweaty...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 4:20pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 22nd, 2008, 3:57pm:
Terry, I don't use an HRM, but I can pretty much guarantee you that if you try to stay at 130 bpm riding that course, it will take you an hour and a half to go around once...   Wink  but then again, you're doing 24 hours, so it's maybe not a bad idea...

Thankyou for the advice and thankyou for the blessing.  That will be perfect for me as we have "budgeted" 90min a lap (1&1/2 hours).  Our team goal is to complete 16 laps for 300 miles in 24 hours (24hr/16laps=1.5hrs) .  That's 8 laps each.  we will do double laps late Friday Night (early Saturday morning) to give the other team member an opportunity to sleep.

I wanted to doi the 24 hour because it "overnight" which will give us a true ultra-cycling TT experience with late-night riding.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 4:23pm

Im really liking this Garmin Forerunner 50.  I purchased it for only $46.89 (shipping included) off ebay.  

It uses the same wireless components as the high end models so I will be able to upgrade latter to the Edge 705.  Smiley  And maybe even get a Power Tap hub!

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print