Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:14am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dusted Down and Washed Clean on the Patriot Pedal (Read 2478 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Dusted Down and Washed Clean on the Patriot Pedal
Sep 13th, 2008, 10:19pm

Today I rode the Patriot Pedal in Southlake, I arrived a little after 7am and immediately spotted the Imperial Titanium Family (Ray and Angie).  I parked across the row from them.  The only other RBENTer I spoted was EZ-Eddie.  He was hanging with the VIP vets.  They had him on a Go-For mission for some bike parts.  

I was worried that the threat of rain would keep folks away.  I was expecting a low turnout.  But I estimate their was 700+ riders.  Which I think is a good number considering the weather and the  fact this was the first year for this ride.  The Apache Helicopter was way-cool.  They look much bigger in person then on TV.  It took off to signal the start of the ride and hovered in circles above us.  Its amazing how much wind blows down from these armored pigs.  I was getting dusted-down and pelted with small bits of gravel.  

Off we go!  Rode out with the 100K folks un-decided what my final route would be.  I expected to ride past the VIPs on hand cycles but I never seen them.  Emperor Ray was about 100 yards in of me (he still has those streamers on his helmet from TTTT 2007).  There was too much traffic for me to do a bust-out-sprint and catch up with him.  He was gone.  

Due to the threat of bad weather, I rolled my Rans Rocket because it has fenders and treaded touring tires.  This latter proved to be a very good decision as it started to rain steady from around 10am onward.  I would have been freaking on the Baron… getting blown around from wind… slipping and sliding all over the road while the rear tire sprayed water up the back of my neck&head.  The dog-slow Rocket has no such issues.  

I was feeling good and planed to ride the 50 mile route.  It started the drizzle near the 40/50 route split.  I was distracted and ended up on the 40 mile route. This was OK since it the rain slowly increased the rest of the morning washing me clean.  I ended the ride a little after 11. The imperial Families Chariot was long-gone.  Angie must have pedaled on the 20  mile route.

I really liked this ride.  The helicopter was cool and the rest-stops where run by energetic high school cheerleaders.  Who liked to have their photo taken with dudes on recumbent bikes.  Smiley  The route was good and I would do this ride again.  No nasty Chip seal.  Nice city streets.   Most of the time we rolled on major roads pass large estate-type homes on multi-acre lots.  I espcially liked the rolling hills through Trophey-Club near lake grapevine.  I also liked the park road, although it was wrikley-old.  The minuses where the few times we where zig-zagged through sub divisions.  That narrow 2 lane road coming out of Trophy-Club and the final leg though the Gateway Business district back to Dragon Stadium.

Has anyone ever noticed this family on a tandem: Consisting of a big military looking white dude as captian (who often rides shirt-less) his tiny Filipino wife as stoker (Yes paul she wears her shirt) both toting their cute little daughter who is on a tandem Kidde bike trailer?   I seen them on most of the pay rides Ive been on.

Happy Trails!
Terry

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2008, 10:35pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: Dusted Down and Washed Clean on the Patriot Pe
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2008, 9:44am

I'm glad to hear there was a decent turnout, and I hope it was decent enough that Mad Duck will do it again next year.

Cheryl and I were really excited about this ride both because of the cause and because of the unusual number of handcyclists who were expected to participate. Unfortunately, with Ike threatening, we opted out. By the time we learned that the hurricane would pass farther to the east than originally projected, we wouldn't have had time to get ourselves loaded up and headed across the metroplex toward Southlake. And then, even if the weather in Southlake was do-able, I was afraid the winds would be strong enough to make the trip home with one bike on the roof and another on the back unsafe.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2008, 10:27am

Quote:
Has anyone ever noticed this family on a tandem: Consisting of a big military looking white dude as captian (who often rides shirt-less) his tiny Filipino wife as stoker (Yes paul she wears her shirt) both toting their cute little daughter who is on a tandem Kidde bike trailer? I seen them on most of the pay rides Ive been on.

His name is TIM "the bald' and he has been a contributor to Bicycle-stuff for years. First time I saw them the little girl hadn't started walking yet.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2008, 4:57pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Sep 14th, 2008, 10:27am:
Quote:
Has anyone ever noticed this family on a tandem: Consisting of a big military looking white dude as captian (who often rides shirt-less) his tiny Filipino wife as stoker both toting their cute little daughter who is on a tandem Kidde bike trailer?   I seen them on most of the pay rides Ive been on.

His name is TIM "the bald' and he has been a contributor to Bicycle-stuff for years. First time I saw them the little girl hadn't started walking yet.

They are the cutest bicycling family in North Dallas!!!

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2008, 8:29pm

I never thought of Tim as cute...  Especially when he takes off his shirt.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2008, 8:54pm

Terry,

Glad you braved the day to make this ride. I was going to go but decided not to because of the weather. I have ridden twice in the pouring rain. Once in a lightning storm. Next year we will have to do a RBENT thing for the vets. I really dig military aircraft. Much gratitude to all our military personnel!

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2008, 6:17am

Quote from MrOverdressed on Sep 13th, 2008, 10:19pm:

Off we go. Emperor Ray was about 100 yards in of me.  There was too much traffic for me to do a bust-out-sprint and catch up with him.  He was gone.  

Decent write-up Terry.  Yes, the Apache hilicopter circling around us at the start was so awesome.  The wake turbulence was hard to ride through though.  

I started near the front, probably 50-75 people in front of me.  After the first half a mile, which was twisty turns getting out of the stadium, and weaving through some slower riders, I saw the "A" pack already 1/4 mile ahead.  This was comprised of the Moritz, Volkswagen, Tzing, and other pro 1/2 teams.   As Terry said "he was gone".  I worked hard up a false flat to catch them, then recovered at the rear.  

At about mile 2 there was a slight down hill.  I moved to the outside and pushed hard to get to the front.  They apparently weren't "bent" friendly as I said "mornin" to the lead rider(s).  I excellerated off the front from about 24 mph to about 27 mph.  Nobody was interested in chasing me.  Here I was, the lead rider.  I kept looking in my mirror and nobody chased.  

I held that lead until I glanced at a sign the said "rest stop one mile".  I pushed hard, wanting to keep the top spot through the first rest stop. That's when "wrong way Ray" stepped up. Apparently there was a turn where the rest stop sign was, and I kept going straight.  I didn't realize it until I got to a red light, and there was no traffic control.  They didn't give maps, but knowning the area, I thought I could short-cut and find the pack.  I had a few bonus miles, and while never catching the pack again, I did extremely well.  It rained quite hard at times, and the wind swirled; not good when riding my Renn disk.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2008, 9:55am

Quote from MrOverdressed on Sep 13th, 2008, 10:19pm:
Off we go!  Emperor Ray was about 100 yards in of me.  There was too much traffic for me to do a bust-out-sprint and catch up with him.  He was gone.  

Decent write-up Terry.  Yes, the Apache hilicopter circling around us at the start was so awesome.  The wake turbulence was hard to ride through though.    

I started near the front, probably 50-75 people in front of me.  After the first half a mile, which was twisty turns getting out of the stadium, and weaving through some slower riders, I saw the "A" pack already 1/4 mile ahead.  This was comprised of the Moritz, Volkswagen, Tzing, and other pro 1/2 teams.   As Terry said "he was gone".  I worked hard up a false flat to catch them, then recovered at the rear.    

At about mile 2 there was a slight down hill.  I moved to the outside and pushed hard to get to the front.  They apparently weren't "bent" friendly as I said "mornin" to the lead rider(s).  I excellerated off the front from about 24 mph to about 27 mph.  Nobody was interested in chasing me.  Here I was, the lead rider.  I kept looking in my mirror and nobody chased.    

I held that lead until I glanced at a sign the said "rest stop one mile".  I pushed hard, wanting to keep the top spot through the first rest stop. That's when "wrong way Ray" stepped up. Apparently there was a turn where the rest stop sign was, and I kept going straight.  I didn't realize it until I got to a red light, and there was no traffic control.  They didn't give maps, but knowning the area, I thought I could short-cut and find the pack.  I had a few bonus miles, and while never catching the pack again, I did extremely well.  It rained quite hard at times, and the wind swirled; not good when riding my Renn disk.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2008, 10:31am

That sounds like we need a better marker for turning system. How about having someone standing at corners with a big poster board with arrows or such. :
Thanks Thomas Jenkins

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2008, 10:54am

Rest stop turns and more so rest stop splits in the course can be a confusing mess. At least with a map before hand you can look it over and realize that rest stop one is also a turn off point.  

You'd think somone there might have yelled at you that you were going the wrong way? You were just too quick for em.  Wink

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2008, 10:56am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2008, 11:24am

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2008, 7:07am

Ray's reputation is such that a map probably wouldn't have helped.  Wink

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2008, 1:59pm

Ray, you need to start ignoring that devil on your shoulder.....   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2008, 3:37pm

Grin Grin Grin That funny ! Grin Grin

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2008, 6:11am

Thanks Paul - that cartoon makes all the mega bonus miles worth every pedal stroke!

Both you and EVBLAZER are amazing at brining pictorial humor to this forum!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print