Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 11th, 2024, 6:37am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lights are Happy! (Read 1494 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Lights are Happy!
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:18am

What lights are folks using?  With the days getting shorter I want to get something soon so that I can cruise at night.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Lights are Happy!
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2008, 3:58pm

You've opened a can of worms almost as full as the can related to "what tires are fastest"...   Cheesy

It sort of comes down to how good your night vision is, and your budget.  You can spend anywhere from $50 to $500, like most things.  But there are both diamonds in the rough, and some pooh-pooh.

Also, there's a difference between a light intending to GET YOU SEEN, like a blinking Cateye or similar, vs. a light you intend to SEE WITH.  I will assume you're talking about the latter.

1)  Don't bother with the Cateye style LEDs -- not enough illumination;
2)  I started with a 10W/20W halogen set, from Performance -- it worked OK, but only had 2 hour battery life, and the light would dim significantly in the last 30 minutes;
3)  I wound up purchasing an MR11 HID light before the TTTT, from www.trailtech.net, with a 5 hour Li-ion battery, for $225.  They make 'em for motorcycle/motocross.  However, this was in mid-2007, and their price is now $300 --  I guess word got out.   Angry  But it's the equivalent of a prison searchlight, and for my marginal night vision, it's great, although a bit heavy.  
4)  I've heard/read good things about other lights from Nelson, et al -- I'm sure they'll chime in!  

You can probably borrow and "test light" before buying, to see what works for you!!!!

Just be sure to BE SEEN, either through flashing lights or reflective gear.....

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2008, 3:59pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2008, 4:02pm

There's also the option of helmet mount vs handlebar/other mount.  I like helmet, because it lets me point the light wherever I want to, whenever I want to -- which is good for "urban" riding while a) going around curves to see ahead, and b) when I want to "FLASH" car drivers coming out of a side street or ahead of me to get their attention.

evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2008, 5:03pm

Reflective gear is great. It is always on when you have a light pointed at you like a headlight and you don't have to worry about batteries. A light has to be pointed at/near you for it to work though. Riding on curves or in areas with lots of intersections means you really need lights.

The trick is it really really depends. Sometimes I get by with just my little fenix L2D CREE helmet light on low. Yup on low. When there are no cars out, no streetlights and the moon is not out or bright you don't need much light to see.  

The more light from other things there are the more light you need to see. At least until there is enough light to see without your lights then you just need something for people to see you  Wink

I use a homebrew led light on the front of my bike which has a nice wide lens. It'll light up the sidewalk on both sides of the street in addition to the area in front of me. This allows me to see people/animals about to shoot out in front. A helmet light can also do that but my position on the giro make a helmet light bounce alot of glare off the handlebars/riser/cyclocomputer. I used to have a dinotte 200L in front and it worked great to see where you were going and allow people to see you it just didn't give me enough overall view of the world since I can't use a helmet light that much anymore.

On the rear I have Dual Dinotte 140Ls and Dual Superflashes. Mostly for redundancy and so I stand out when I'm playing with tractor trailers on my commute.

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2008, 12:48pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2008, 5:09pm

I use Dinotte Tail flashers http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte&St oreType=BtoC&Count1=123943507&Count2=41083931&ProductID=5&Target=products.asp.
So bright that you cannot stand to be behind it.  

I also have 5 led side flashers on all my bikes pointing to the side.  On the LWB I actually have two on each side one towards the front and one towards the back.

I have a variety of headlights.  My latest from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/New-200-Lumens-CREE-LED-XR-E-P4-Bike-Bicycle-Light-B200_W0QQ itemZ380062873586QQihZ025QQcategoryZ22689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
amazingly bright for a pretty darn inexpensive price.  These are 200 Lumen and are bright enough to have a car flash you to turn it down.   I am currently running one of these and a homebuilt flashlight mount wiith a cre3 200L flashlight.  

Marci is running my old Nightrider SOL http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24411&subcategory_ID=432 0 on her bike with a second CatEye el530.  Between the two she can see without changing into her special night glasses, which she uses when she drives at night.

I keep thinking of buying a 600L Dinotte setup, but with the 200L Ebay special being so cheap I might just buy another couple of them and call it a day. I personally like lots of light at night to feel comfortable riding anywhere from streets to trails.  I personally need much more light on the winding trails than on most city streets.

The one thing that is necessary if you are going to ride at night extensively is a bunch of AA rechargable batteries.  I have gone to the fatter AAs that Fry's sells.  They are a problem in some lights because they are a bit fatter than a normal AA but they last much longer. I run most of my lighting on them and carry 4 spare charged batteries at all times.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2008, 11:37am

As mentioned above all kinds of lighting solutions.  For commuting the last 9 years my lights have evolved through the cheapie cateyes through home bew MR16 halogens to ultimately fancy super bright LED flashlights.  My requirements also evolved to what it takes to ride all night in randonneuring conditions, and there is a real tradeoff that has to be made between brightness and 12hr running time and weight.  Generator hubs are very poppular for this still but are very expensive (I have 3 for different wheel sizes) but I now feel my little Fenix L2D CE 2aa light with extra batteries is better.  Its proven reliable, and 2 of them, with spare batteries are still lighter than the generator hub and doesn't create drag.  Like Mark said as well, for night riding reflective gear is more important than lighting, as it will be the first thing a driver sees from the rear or side of you.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2008, 1:05pm

I already posted this in BROL, so if you've read it there, you can ignore this post.

This Ultrafire Cree C3 is just $20.29 from DealExtreme (and was even less than that when I bought mine), with free shipping. It takes 2 AA batteries.

For $6.94 you can also add this extension to make it take 3 AA batteries. If you do that, be advised that you should only use three 1.2 volt nimh batteries, and not three regular alkaline AA batteries, which are 1.5 volts. The led is only rated for 4.2 volts, so three alkaline AA batteries will fry it. Also, the extensions tend to fit nimh batteries too tightly; I had to sand the inside of mine a bit.

The little critter puts out a truly impressive amount of light for such an inexpensive light. I haven't done enough night hours at once to see how long three batteries would last, but they haven't run down in a 3 hour stretch of using the light, and I own 12 nimh AA batteries, so I figure 4 changes of batteries should be enough for any night journey.

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2008, 1:08pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2008, 1:23pm

This was recently posted on Bentrider...  670 lumens!!!!

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=43327&referreri d=4000

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print