Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 12:37am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stratus XP AL at PCF (Read 1109 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Stratus XP AL at PCF
Aug 13th, 2008, 2:51pm

PCF has the aluminum SXP on the floor at a slight discount ($2100), same price as the steel version.  However, it's got some chain-related scratching on the chainstay (but nothing too serious) due to the chain being cross-routed (like a B-bike) by mistake and ridden that way briefly.

Decent deal if you're looking at the Aluminum SXP!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Stratus XP AL at PCF
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008, 6:16pm

Paul have you ridden the Aluminum version?  If so how does the ride compare with the your steel XP?  Contemplating next year's projects / bike mix.  Seems like nearly everybody's got at least one Rans these days, I'm feeling left out. Wink  Now that I've been commuting on the Corsa almost exclusively for a couple of months I've been toying with going all recumbent.  A couple of uprights might come close to funding an XP, so if anyone has one I can test ride a little one day I'd love to try it out.  The other option is to have a more commuter / rando setup on another high racer.  But I do like the comfort and ability to reach the ground on the LWB.  Any suggestions?

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2008, 7:13pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 13th, 2008, 2:51pm:
PCF has the aluminum SXP on the floor at a slight discount ($2100), same price as the steel version. However, it's got some chain-related scratching on the chainstay (but nothing too serious) due to the chain being cross-routed (like a B-bike) by mistake and ridden that way briefly.

Somehow while shifting, my SXP chain managed to do the same thing, with the power side somehow jumping to the bottom of the idler. I thought I heard a bit of rattling somewhere, but didn't discover what happened until the end of the ride. By then, it had uglied the stay big time, cutting a groove for each different cassette cog. I've done some touch up to stop rust. I plan on adding one of those Lizard Skin type stay guards.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2008, 7:14pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2008, 8:11pm

Bud I've got a lizard skin you can have that should work that came off the ill-fated CA.  If you don't mind accepting the bad juju that comes with it  Grin

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2008, 9:59am

My SXP has also done the same thing occasionally, under very bumpy conditions with a lot of chain slack.  I generally can hear it, because there is a different noise that comes from the idler.

I have not ridden the Al version of the SXP.  Personally, I don't see much advantage to it over steel -- it will be a slightly stiffer ride, and not much weight reduction.  

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print