Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:17pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
August 2nd LSR 200k and 300k brevets (Read 7314 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: August 2nd LSR 200k and 300k brevets
Reply #30 - Aug 5th, 2008, 9:07am

Might I make a "public" plea to lighten up a bit on the current "rando rules" comments....?  From what I've gathered, Brad took one approach to riding the event, and was unaware of (or chose to disregard) the basic rules the LSR group runs their rides by, regarding getting cards signed, etc.  He DID join LSR/RUSA that day for the ride -- whether he participates in future events is up to him, now that he has a better feel for what the club wants participants to do.

We all know how text reading can be misinterpreted and basic intents misunderstood...   Chill, guys... please?   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #31 - Aug 5th, 2008, 9:08am

Quote from Brad Bedell on Aug 4th, 2008, 10:51pm:

Bud, it seems we've gotten off to the wrong start. One thing about me, I treat people with the exact same respect they show to me, regardless of race, creed, color or age. I was actually saving this for an in person commentary to remove the subtle nuances in the written word. Since I won't see you for at least a couple of weeks and it's now exploded, I'll handle it here, in public as you chose to do with me. If you wish to continue it in private, delete ALL of my posts and do so.

First things first. Saturday was my first day as a member of LSR. I told Sharon that I didn't know what distance I was going to finish, since it was my 2nd ride on the bike, at the beginning of the ride on Saturday. She seemed okay with it at the time, but by her body-language, I understood that I needed to fill the cards out in the future.

While I agree, that I didn't have cards signed. My first two rides were Populaires and I wasn't even a member and was not RSVP'd when I showed up to ride the populaires. I've always ridden organized rides this way and you are the first and only person who has cared.

When giving advice, such as yours supra, you should consider following your own rules of respect. If you wish to call someone out for not following rules of a ride that you didn't organize, PM them or do it in private. A quick pm of "Hey, I noticed you weren't filling cards out. LSR has specific rules against this and strongly urges the rules to be followed." would have been completely respectful and considerate of someone may or may not have known the rules. In fact, a PM like this would have been well received by me and received a 'thank you, I wasn't aware of it' reply. Even though, I did know the rules. With the approach you took, compounded with how you attacked Greg's comments for something that he did not advise me to do, I assumed you were only out looking for an Internet argument. IF it wasn't this, what exactly were you trying to accomplish by berating me with the rules in a public forum?

I hadn't planned on commenting on your peculiar randonneuring riding at all. I was going to let Dan Driscoll hande it; they're his rules, and I'm sure he's had this kind of problem before. Your post in this public forum changed that. I probably should have just stuck to plan A. But I really didn't like seeing what appeared to me to be such disregard for the rules posted here, and we recumbent riders already get enough flack from other riders, without inviting more with stuff like this.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #32 - Aug 5th, 2008, 11:35am

Quote from Rawhide on Aug 5th, 2008, 5:31am:
Well, after reading all of this drama, I'm glad work keeps me tied up too much to participate in something I thought I'd really like to try. I will easily be content to do my own thing, my own way, when I want to. I haven't missed anything. DJ

Sorry if we soured you on randonneuring, DJ. With its extreme challenges of long distance rides, and more rules than just about any other type of riding, it's prone to this. You need only go back a few months in the LSR google group to find harsher words exchanged there than what were here.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #33 - Aug 5th, 2008, 12:04pm

Quote from evblazer on Aug 5th, 2008, 8:25am:

I just have to say.. Until pigs or myself fly I shall not be seeing those cornfields again Wink

Aw c'mon, Mark! Let's go practice that route next week....

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2008, 12:04pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print