Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
August 2nd LSR 200k and 300k brevets (Read 7337 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: August 2nd LSR 200k and 300k brevets
Reply #15 - Aug 4th, 2008, 10:49am

Thankyou everyone for your posts.  I enjoyed reading about the ride.
Smiley
Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #16 - Aug 4th, 2008, 3:57pm

Quote from Strada177 on Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:49am:
4 Gallons of fluids?? Missing bite valve, can't find the control ,AND we're doing this for fun 100+ degree temps?  So how do you feel today?? I bet you want view corn fields in the same way as you did previously!

I go through fluid like crazy and always have even when it isn't hot. If I am looking correctly 4 gallons is somewhere around 30 lbs depending on what each thing I took in weighed. When I got home I had only gained 2lbs over the course of the day so it was pretty close. I'm glad my seat doesn't absorb water of course my chamois did. So got some clothes without one and hopefully that works out.

Corn corn, probably ethanol corn at that, I never liked you corn. Ever since I tried growing some in my garden as a kid it just never was a good relationship. Now strawberries. Where are those nice fields of some nice strawberries. YUM!

Verizon didn't exactly help my recovery. A little stressed and up till nearly midnight waiting for find out if I had to mobilize after that long ride. Waiting over an hour on hold to cancel my travel arrangements. I finally got to sleep after 1am.
I took these pictures every few hours.. it just kept going

and going

and going!!! I mean we were out there so long and it was so hot the grass turned brown between 1pm and 5pm  Cheesy

Until finally there was hope that no more corn was going to be seen!

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008, 9:22pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #17 - Aug 4th, 2008, 4:20pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 3rd, 2008, 5:15pm:

At mile 63, the easiest way seems to be what Brad did - stop the ride, DNF the 300k, and take the known route home. I personally would have rather finished the ride by moving forward than turning around and doing another inch of that godawful chipseal. Besides, if I had thought I couldn't make the 300k but would have problems no with the 200k, and I was already into the ride, I would think I would sit back, relax, enjoy the scenery and company, and do the smaller ride. At least then I'd have a cue sheet, instead of riding an unknown quantity of roads that may be unsafe. Where's the harm in that, or am I missing something? I pretty much said I might do the same in my message on the LSR board. *shrug* no big deal. We all had fun, right?

And you didn't notice that Dan Driscoll posted right after you did, saying you couldn't change distances?

Perhaps I was too short with Brad. I didn't realize he had someone he considered experienced giving him bad information.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008, 4:22pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #18 - Aug 4th, 2008, 5:50pm

Quote from Brad Bedell on Aug 4th, 2008, 5:33pm:
edited.

Actually, I was just going to keep quiet on the whole thing until you posted your report telling everyone you were ignoring the rules. I found it hard not to comment after that.

Maybe we randonneurs here have pushed randonneuring so much we're starting to attract people who really aren't interested in randonneuring at all. I'll try to keep that in mind as I post about future upcoming randonneuring events, since LSR states plainly that they don't want riders who are just using the rides for training, and not interested in completing brevets.

This last post was your first instance of name calling here. After your second instance, you won't be a forum member any longer.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008, 11:23pm by aikigreg »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #19 - Aug 4th, 2008, 7:17pm

I wasn't under the impression that Brad was changing to get credit, I interpreted that he made the hard decision to abort the 300K and take the DNF going back the shorter way.  A decision I applaud, too often its easy to get in trouble trying to complete the goal distance without enough regard to our health and safety.  But there may be aspects I don't know about or missed.   Brad did you actually get credit for a 200K when having declared the 300K as his ride?  In that case I'm afraid you should disqualify yourself.  Quite a few club administrators have gotten in trouble and removed for that in the last year, and I imagine Dan would be quite sensitive about that happening.  There are a lot of rules with Randonneuring I'm not always compatible with, but I'm happy to occaisionaly play the game because it can be quite fun.  When I do I accept that I must go by the rules.  

Anyway maybe none of my business, just seeking clarification on this disagreement.

By the way congratulations to everybody for finishing under very difficult conditions!  True Randonneurs!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2008, 9:07pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Aug 4th, 2008, 7:17pm:
I wasn't under the impression that Brad was changing to get credit

I don't think anyone is claiming Brad's trying to get credit. In fact, as far as I know, he's not gotten a single brevet card signed in any of the three randonneuring rides he's done (started?). (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.) LSR's rules specifically ban that, and it's hard to believe that trying to get rbent members to abide by that is causing this much of a stink.

If anyone else has problems with my handling of this and feels the urge to call me names, pm me and do the name calling in private. Anyone who knows me knows I don't threaten lightly.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008, 9:30pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2008, 11:10pm

Where's that button that will go back in time and puts me safely in bed that morning?  *looks around*

dang, misplaced again.  I know I left them next to the ruby slippers!   Wink

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2008, 11:24pm

Mark that corn looks mighty parched!  I remember being very hot in that same area last year on a 200K permanent with Ray, and Dennis, so I can sympathize!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #23 - Aug 4th, 2008, 11:37pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Aug 4th, 2008, 11:24pm:
Mark that corn looks mighty parched! I remember being very hot in that same area last year on a 200K permanent with Ray, and Dennis, so I can sympathize!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson ,we missed you ,Ray & Paul on the ride. Maybe we can do the 300K ride together in October(Italy revisited).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #24 - Aug 4th, 2008, 11:45pm

Hi Steve,  Sounds like a wonderful idea (and hopefully a cooler one too!)

Ray and I are percolating on making the TTTT practice next weekend, so look forward to seeing you guys hopefully!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #25 - Aug 4th, 2008, 11:46pm

Quote from Strada177 on Aug 4th, 2008, 11:37pm:
Mark that corn looks mighty parched!  I remember being very hot in that same area last year on a 200K permanent with Ray, and Dennis, so I can sympathize!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson ,we missed you ,Ray & Paul on the ride. Maybe we can do the 300K ride together in October(Italy revisited).

Can I come to?  It'd be a privelige to ride with the best group of riders I've ever met!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #26 - Aug 5th, 2008, 5:31am

Well, after reading all of this drama, I'm glad work keeps me tied up too much to participate in something I thought I'd really like to try.  I will easily be content to do my own thing, my own way, when I want to.  I haven't missed anything.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #27 - Aug 5th, 2008, 7:42am

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 4th, 2008, 11:46pm:
Mark that corn looks mighty parched! I remember being very hot in that same area last year on a 200K permanent with Ray, and Dennis, so I can sympathize!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Can I come to? It'd be a privelige to ride with the best group of riders I've ever met!

Greg, absolutely. I figured it was a given you would ride the 300K in Italy in October(now you got the 200K mastered).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #28 - Aug 5th, 2008, 8:25am

Quote from Strada177 on Aug 5th, 2008, 7:42am:
Quote from aikigreg on Aug 4th, 2008, 11:46pm:

Take Care,
Nelson.

Can I come to?  It'd be a privelige to ride with the best group of riders I've ever met!  

Greg, absolutely. I figured it was a given you would ride the 300K in Italy in October(now you got the 200K mastered).

Wheee quote pyramid..
I just have to say.. Until pigs or myself fly I shall not be seeing those cornfields again Wink  

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2008, 11:25am by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #29 - Aug 5th, 2008, 9:00am

I hope that stretch of new chipseal is a little smoother by then...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print