Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 11th, 2024, 2:31pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Coroplast Wheel Covers (Read 14317 times)
Bud_Bent

Coroplast Wheel Covers
Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:00pm

With TTTT coming up, there seems to be a fair amount of interest in wheel covers like the ones I made last year (in the photo below). They are very light and do add some speed on flats and downhills.

I've committed to making a couple of covers, and have the material for a couple more than that, but if there are many others wanting them, I won't have time and material to make them all, but I don't mind helping. There are lots of ways to make wheel covers. Here are instructions on recumbents.com for making them several different ways. These are made out of coroplast like mine, but mine are even lighter. If you want professional looking ones, and don't mind paying more, and a bit more weight, these are nice.

The coroplast covers mentioned above are made out of 2mm coroplast, which I wasn't able to find locally at all. If you order coroplast anywhere else, the shipping cost kills you. So, I used 4mm coroplast that I found locally, and split it with a letter opener. This worked well, and made some of the lightest wheel covers around. You can secure it to the wheel either with tape or tie wraps. Tape looks the best, but doesn't much like time spent in a 130 degree garage. I don't mind giving some instruction (a wheel cover making party, maybe?), but if many people want covers, we'll need more material. The only local place I found with a stock of 4mm coroplast at a reasonable price was Regal Plastics. I paid $18 (~$20 after tax) for each 4' x 8' sheet of coroplast, and they have a $50 minimum order. A 4' x 8' sheet would make either either 4 or 8 sets of covers, depending on whether or not you split the material. So, anyone who wants to buy a sheet will probably have a lifetime supply of cover building material for $20, and it would only take three of us buying one sheet each to make the minimum order.  

Regal Plastics' Fort Worth facility isn't that far from where I work, so if anyone would like to buy a sheet of coroplast, I don't mind paying and picking it up. So, I'll ask the question: If I make a trip to Regal Plastics, who wants to buy a sheet of 4mm black coroplast for $20 (I'll have to make sure that price is still good)?

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:08pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Re: Coroplast Wheel Covers
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:44pm

Bud,

I'm interested in getting some coroplast - not necessarily for wheel covers but maybe for a tailbox. Let us know the current price.

Thanks,

Ken

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:26pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:00pm:
With TTTT coming up, there seems to be a fair amount of interest in wheel covers like the ones I made last year (in the photo below). They are very light and do add some speed on flats and downhills.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Bud_Bent/2007%20TTTT/tttt05.jpg

I've committed to making a couple of covers, and have the material for a couple more than that, but if there are many others wanting them, I won't have time and material to make them all, but I don't mind helping. There are lots of ways to make wheel covers. Here are instructions on recumbents.com for making them several different ways. These are made out of coroplast like mine, but mine are even lighter. If you want professional looking ones, and don't mind paying more, and a bit more weight, these are nice.

The coroplast covers mentioned above are made out of 2mm coroplast, which I wasn't able to find locally at all. If you order coroplast anywhere else, the shipping cost kills you. So, I used 4mm coroplast that I found locally, and split it with a letter opener. This worked well, and made some of the lightest wheel covers around. You can secure it to the wheel either with tape or tie wraps. Tape looks the best, but doesn't much like time spent in a 130 degree garage. I don't mind giving some instruction (a wheel cover making party, maybe?), but if many people want covers, we'll need more material. The only local place I found with a stock of 4mm coroplast at a reasonable price was Regal Plastics. I paid $18 (~$20 after tax) for each 4' x 8' sheet of coroplast, and they have a $50 minimum order. A 4' x 8' sheet would make either either 4 or 8 sets of covers, depending on whether or not you split the material. So, anyone who wants to buy a sheet will probably have a lifetime supply of cover building material for $20, and it would only take three of us buying one sheet each to make the minimum order.

Regal Plastics' Fort Worth facility isn't that far from where I work, so if anyone would like to buy a sheet of coroplast, I don't mind paying and picking it up. So, I'll ask the question: If I make a trip to Regal Plastics, who wants to buy a sheet of 4mm black coroplast for $20 (I'll have to make sure that price is still good)?

I do! I do! I'll take one(Peggy doesn't think she would use hers. We could always share).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:42pm

I'll want one for the carbent when it gets here, so yeah.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Brad Bedell

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 7:20am

I'm in for a sheet.

IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:04am

Hi Bud,

I'd love to have a sheet of coroplast!  

Thanks!
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 9:41am

A wheelcover making party...  I love it....   Smiley  Count me in!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:59am

I have some white I was going to practice on but if you are going to get something darker I'd be in and a party would be nice too since I don't think I'm going to be very successful on my own hmm.
Never thought of splitting the 4mm I had I'll have to try that tonight.  

I've been meaning to try a tailbox also I could hard mount it to my rear rack and I think I have seen plans out there for em.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:52am

I'd be glad to swap someone for just enough to get the rear wheel done on my Corsa by getting all the heavier duty type coroplast you need for projects like tailboxes etc.   DJ      

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 1:16pm

Bud - how about if you send a massive sheet to Randy S., and ask him to make us each a mini wing to give us some leading edge lift, thus making the bike lighter and ultimately faster.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 1:52pm

Quote from Rawhide on Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:52am:
I'd be glad to swap someone for just enough to get the rear wheel done on my Corsa by getting all the heavier duty type coroplast you need for projects like tailboxes etc. DJ

Are you saying you have a source for heavier coroplast? Alright, come clean!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 1:53pm

Quote from bikerteam on Jul 23rd, 2008, 1:16pm:
Bud - how about if you send a massive sheet to Randy S., and ask him to make us each a mini wing to give us some leading edge lift, thus making the bike lighter and ultimately faster.

If it'll help me fly up those hills, I'll get right on it.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 2:42pm

Posted by: Bud_Bent Posted on: Today at 1:52pm  
Quote from Rawhide on Today at 11:52am:
I'd be glad to swap someone for just enough to get the rear wheel done on my Corsa by getting all the heavier duty type coroplast you need for projects like tailboxes etc. DJ  

Are you saying you have a source for heavier coroplast? Alright, come clean!  

Why Bud, how astute you are!  Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.  I'd guess it's heavier than what you're talking about using on the wheels.  Maybe I should bring some out to the Goatneck for perusal/distribution?
                                                                                                                            DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
barlows

Wanna-be

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 6:38pm

If there's a coroplast buy in the near future, count me in for a sheet.

Steve

Email stevejbarlow   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #14 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:06pm

Quote from Rawhide on Jul 23rd, 2008, 2:42pm:

Why Bud, how astute you are! Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'd guess it's heavier than what you're talking about using on the wheels. Maybe I should bring some out to the Goatneck for perusal/distribution?
DJ

Yes, bring a piece to Goatneck. Because I split it, thicker might work ok. I'd like to see what a piece looks like after I split it.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print