Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lone Star Randonneurs 160k Populaire ride (Read 899 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Lone Star Randonneurs 160k Populaire ride
Jul 20th, 2008, 5:53pm

I had a good time.  I had a late start.  When I finally found the RBENT folks I was a little disappointed that I could keep up with the group.  Even Dear Bud left me behind.   Bud… dude you still have lead in the pencil. This ride was a scorcher!   This was the hottest ride I ever pedaled.  The thermometer on my Plant Bike computer was reading well above 100deg.  At one point it was 119deg!   That was while I was riding on top of fresh black asphalt.  It would cool off a few degrees on cement and when I stopped in the shade.   It’s the first time I finished off my camel-back.  And I emptied it twice!  Plus I almost drank a third camel back during the drive back home.  Add in the rest stop drinks.  It’s the most fluids I have ever drank on a ride.  The Lone star club riders are super friendly.   I would do this ride again.
Smiley
Terry

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2008, 2:22am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Lone Star Randonneurs 160k Populaire ride
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2008, 9:20pm

I had a blast on this ride, although it did get a wee bit hot in the afternoon. Around 20 of us left out of the Duncanville parking lot promptly at 7:00 am, and I was instantly off the back of the group, as I had forgotten to do my inhaler, and I stopped to do that. Steve and Peggy hung back with me, and it was only a couple of turns later that we found Greg and Ray stopped, waiting for us. I figured the main group must have really been hammering already, and both Greg and Ray had ridden hard the day before, and said they weren't going to stay with a hammering group. So, the five of us rode the rest of the ride together, although we did run into various other riders at times, including Terry.

I think I've finally figured out how to keep up with the faster rbent riders: have fresh legs while catching them the day after a hard ride, and I can kind of keep up (as long as the hills don't get too steep). I was the only one of the five in the group that hadn't ridden yesterday. I've been trying to do a fair amount of tempo riding on these long rides, since that's what seems to be working best for my long recovery, and I did it a lot on this ride. Sometimes that put me off the front of our group, sometimes lagging off the back. I did a bit of sprinting, too, but when the last couple of sprints I did quickly raised my heartrate to 4 beats higher than I'd even seen this year, I figured I was getting tired and better ease off the sprinting for the rest of the ride.

The pace of the lead group was plainly too much for some other riders too, as we caught a group of them before the first control in Maypearl. They were quicker out of the control than us, though, so it was just the five of us again when we left. The wind had picked up a bit, and it was getting kind of hot when we reached the turnaround at Covington, but it wasn't terrible hot or windy yet. By the time we got back to Maypearl for the third and last stop, though, it was seriously hot. We made a quick unscheduled cool-off stop in Midlothian at 85 miles, and finished the ride just before 3:00 pm.

It is truly fun to do one of these rides with this many recumbents and friends. Thanks, y'all. Good job!

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2008, 9:22pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Brad Bedell

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2008, 9:58pm

Good to meet you guys and see those who I've already met today.    One day, I'll actually stay for an entire ride. Smiley   Sunday's are just difficult for me as they are usually days I have reserved to spend with my wife.      

-B

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2008, 10:37pm

Well, it was an interesting ride for me.  I was out of sorts the first 30 miles until I could lighten the load - every sugary drink was just turning my stomach, and I couldn't breathe and my heart was beating was too fast in that 'I'm STRESSED" way.  My bottom and quads were absolutely screaming from the ride the day before, which was this one:

http://rbent.webhostingwholesale.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1216610364/0#0

My stomach perked up after the first control but then the feet went crazy on the chipseal and my butt was on fire and I limped into the 50 mile stop wishing I'd never come, but a nutritious lunch of factory made ham sandwich, monster, and salsa verde doritos and I was back in bid'ness.  I fought Bud and lots for the sprints, but I won most of the hills so my pride made me call it a draw.

I could have finished that last 50 miles at a fatser pace I suppose, but today wasn't about that for me.  it was about challenging myself to see if I can do a long ride after another long ride.  To see if this dream of real competition is even worth striving for.  And for the cameraderie of course.  There were a couple spots I nearly fell off my bike laughing so hard, and I just have the best time when I'm riding with you guys - plain and simple.  

I find it funny what the body will allow you to do.  How at my 180th mile for the weekend my body quit fighting and said 'ok, you win, we'll go as long as you want, at whatever speed you want.   Just keep the liquid coming."

Much thanks to Peggy for the gatorade leftovers, and Bud the Stud for the pace-setting.  Terry, I was surprised you kept us in your sights as long as you did, given the heat and roads and unfamiliarity with the lowracer, but you did a great job.  Now, keep that thing off the trainer and start building some speed!  It certainly didn't get as hot as your thermo read, but it did get to about 98-99, according to weather undergtrouns.  How enough though!

Bud how fast were we going on that final spring into the Valero at the end?

Garming ahowed 16.2mph with an average heart rate of 125 and a max of 166, which happened during that final sprint with Bud.  otherwise except for a couple blips, my heart rate was under 140 the entire time.  Overtrained for sure!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2008, 12:10am

Greg,Bud,Ray & Peggy...this was truly a fun ride. Great stories among great friends on a very hot day. After a relatively hard 67+ miles at the Tour De Paris Saturday(18.9 mph on a lot of chip seal with 1-2 minute break), I wasn't sure how ready mentally or physically I would handle Sunday's century ride. I was fine on both accounts(OK,so I'm physically sound anyway).

Man,what a time! Greg had some really good one-liners. We(rbent) have a group of "characters", to be sure. Peggy & I are very glad we came.  

Thanks to all who made it a very worth while endeavor(AND FUN). Congrats to Greg for riding Ray's 210K Spanish Fort route on Saturday & turning around & riding this 163K within 24 hours. That's a lot of cycling in the Texas heat!

And the Randdoneurs group are just fantastic people as well.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2008, 2:25am

I think I saw you on your way back to your car.  Did you go to the first control stop and head back home?

Quote from Brad Bedell on Jul 20th, 2008, 9:58pm:
Good to meet you guys and see those who I've already met today.    One day, I'll actually stay for an entire ride. Smiley   Sunday's are just difficult for me as they are usually days I have reserved to spend with my wife.    

-B

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Brad Bedell

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2008, 8:03am

That was me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print