Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:20pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spanish fort 207K (Read 746 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Spanish fort 207K
Jul 20th, 2008, 10:19pm

Saturday I rode what is without a doubt one of the nastiest 200ks out there.  Take the 60 mile Muenster ride and then double it, and  make the hills taller to boot.  Indeed the Muenster stretch from Forstburg to St. Jo is a aprt of the ride.  Add to that a stretch with no service for 42 miles and the last 50 miles with the wind in your face.  Let me just say it's one of the toughest rides Iv'e ever done.

Still, it was very much a worthwhile event.  I feel it so important to challenge yourself when you ride, and I'm always looking to make myself a better climber, and this certainly helped in that regard.  

I spent much of the ride by myself after the first control at mile 25.  Stopped once to make an unscheduled pee stop and apparently was moving so fast on the x-stream coming back to the group that Pam yells "Motorcycle back!"   Grin

I had an 18.2 mph average at the rest stop in Nocona - mile 83, and then had the rear tire explode - must have been some big glass, though I never found it.  Put the spare on, and Dan and Pam pulled up just in time to help me with the tube.  Which promptly flated within ten feet.  Put the last tube on and we were good to go, but I rolled slow (13 mph pace) the 17 miles back to forestburg, which significantly slowed down my time.  A nice cool rest there and a drumstick ice cream and pumped up the tire as much as  icould and I was back and gone.  Even against the wind I averaged 19 all the way back to the final control.

If you like hills, this is your ride.  Not to mention the art ranch and the thousand of oil pumps and all the other scenery.

Final tale of the tape:
129.48 miles
6200' of climbing
16.7mph
Avg heart rate 137bpm, max of 169.

my speed went over 40mph more than 25 times - that tells you what the hills were like.  The grade calc isn't working well on my garmin but in the first 25 miles only there were 8 hills over 5%, 2 of which were over 10.  Pretty nifty!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Spanish fort 207K
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2008, 7:43am

Greg I'm sorry I couldn't make it to join you, Spanish Fort is one of my favorites!  how was the parking at the Bolivar Grocery?  I take it the Xstream climbs pretty darn well.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2008, 8:51am

Quote from aikigreg on Jul 20th, 2008, 10:19pm:

....my speed went over 40mph more than 25 times - that tells you what the hills were like.  The grade calc isn't working well on my garmin but in the first 25 miles only there were 8 hills over 5%, 2 of which were over 10.  Pretty nifty!

Daaaayyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm..........    Shocked

How's the stability on that bike above 40?  Bet it's still pretty good, even on those 23mm tires...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2008, 9:19am

Quote from Kwijybow on Jul 21st, 2008, 7:43am:
Greg I'm sorry I couldn't make it to join you, Spanish Fort is one of my favorites!  how was the parking at the Bolivar Grocery?  I take it the Xstream climbs pretty darn well.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Didn't park there - we parked at the church up the hill, so we could get in extra climbing and distance  Shocked

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2008, 9:20am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 21st, 2008, 8:51am:
Quote from aikigreg on Jul 20th, 2008, 10:19pm:

....my speed went over 40mph more than 25 times - that tells you what the hills were like.  The grade calc isn't working well on my garmin but in the first 25 miles only there were 8 hills over 5%, 2 of which were over 10.  Pretty nifty!

Daaaayyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm..........    Shocked

How's the stability on that bike above 40?  Bet it's still pretty good, even on those 23mm tires...

Seems to be fine - I was unused to handling the long bike at that speed, so it made me a bit nervous, but no big deal after a while.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2008, 10:04am

Quote from Kwijybow on Jul 21st, 2008, 7:43am:

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson, take a look at the LSR post.  There is a new Valero that opened (which I was unaware of).  George and Geo said it had better hours, good bathrooms, and a great grill.  Let's plan on riding it late this year.  Also, I received e-mails from several of the riders, that requested a route that climbs that monster hill north of St. Jo instead of descending it, as it does on Spanish Fort.

Greg, being the owner of Spanish Fort, I know very well how tough it is. Even though Steve, Peggy and I rode hard on Saturday, we certainly didn't ride a 200k, and with all those hills such as you did. You rode very well yesterday on the Populaire, considering you just completed Spanish Fort the day before.  Also, you are correct about the quantity of hills in excess of 8 percent, as well as how many descents that you can achieve speed greater than 40mph.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print