Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 12th, 2024, 9:38am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie derailled (Read 2280 times)
mindbent

rbent member

Newbie derailled
Jun 30th, 2008, 7:31am

Just purchased a starter bent from PCF based on readings here.  Intent was and is to get my family of TV watchers and computer nerds off their collective and excessive bottom pads (including me, the worst offender).    

Sunday I take the wife out to a local and large vacant parking lot to try it out.  Miracle of miracles, she really enjoys it.   Then she asks me to demonstrate the proper way to ride the bike.  I promptly try a figure 8 and quickly figure out I should have selected a figure little L 'cause I'm going down (there was wet pavement though).   Naturally. being left handed and in general unlucky, I land on my right side.  Pick the bike up, grin sheepishly, wife responds with a very superior smile, and I proceed on around the lot with no problems.   Wife rides a bit more then my son hops on and can't get it to pedal.  The derailler idler/swing arm is folded back on itself.   The parallel pieces of cut sheet metal holding the two small sprockets are no longer true and exhibit considerable curve.    

The question for this group is: what are my options?   Do I have to replace the entire derailler, just that small swing arm/idler, or can it be straightened out with no problem?  

Another question: are all deraillers designed so that a RH side fall destroys them?   As an engineer myself, that seems ridiculous after 100 years plus of bike technology but maybe that's reality.  

IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Re: Newbie derailled
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2008, 9:12am

I would go back over to PCF and let them take a look at it.  I would bet that they will fix it for little or no money.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
mindbent

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2008, 1:14pm

They probably would.  However it's an 80mi roundtrip for me to do that.   Even though the bike is only 3 days old and has less than a mile on it, it's not worth the effort - roughly $20 in gas and 2 hours in travel.   An LBS is the likely fix.   Thanks.

IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2008, 1:50pm

Well I'm sure not all fall destroy them but it sure seems that way. If it is just bent it could be straightened out by a LBS it is just a standard derailler just like any other bike I think.

Oh and if you have that silly plastic thing between the cassette's largest gear and the spokes leave it. It just might save your wheel if the rear derailler throws the chain in there. I didnt' have one on my xtracycle and it really did a number on the rear wheel. 4 broken spokes, 5 bent spokes, 7 with gauged heads 2 all nice and shiney! Rode it at least another 10 miles like that with groceries onboard so it was a tough wheel. I had recently had the rear derailler (hanger?) staightened with a "it might not last" comment at the local bike shop. I guess it didn't and I didn't have the little spoke protector. I think mine was damaged by cargo. You think a utility bike would have some kind of protection for the rear derailler, I gotta get on that.

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2008, 1:51pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2008, 1:20pm

Quote from mindbent on Jun 30th, 2008, 7:31am:
Just purchased a starter bent from PCF based on readings here.  Intent was and is to get my family of TV watchers and computer nerds off their collective and excessive bottom pads (including me, the worst offender).  

Welcome to the group board, sorry you're not posting under better circumstances.

What bike did you purchase?  Some rear D's are VERY close to the ground as well as vulnerable from the side, specifically those on the Sun EZ-1 bikes and EZ trikes -- the ground clearance is about 1 to 1-1/2 inches -- so you don't want to go off the edge of a sidewalk, either.

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2008, 1:20pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2008, 2:45pm

Quote from mindbent on Jun 30th, 2008, 7:31am:
Another question: are all deraillers designed so that a RH side fall destroys them?   As an engineer myself, that seems ridiculous after 100 years plus of bike technology but maybe that's reality.  

Not a reasonable post purchase option, or an option for most racers, but one reason I thought of going to an internal hub for my xtracycle is no rear derailler, or front derrailier for that matter. Just one shifter and it is all inside the wheel. It was going to be a few hundred dollars so I passed on it for now.  

I remember my bikee had the rear derailler so low it was crazy. I'd constantly whack things with it while riding. I'd have to be careful when passing speedbumps or i'd catch the rear derailler, and non level pavement, and sticks, ................

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2008, 2:48pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
mindbent

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2008, 6:25pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 1st, 2008, 1:20pm:

Welcome to the group board, sorry you're not posting under better circumstances.

What bike did you purchase?  Some rear D's are VERY close to the ground as well as vulnerable from the side, specifically those on the Sun EZ-1 bikes and EZ trikes -- the ground clearance is about 1 to 1-1/2 inches -- so you don't want to go off the edge of a sidewalk, either.

It's a Bacchetta Cafe.  I met you exiting PCF Saturday after your long ride.  You came up and gave me your rbent card.    

I think the ground clearance is quite reasonable.  I was just on a wet surface trying a figure 8 and lost it.   Now I have to find an LBS with an SRAM X.4 or equivalent rear derailler.    So far no luck after 5 calls or so in the FW and Arlington area.   Looks at best that I'll be sans bike for another week or so.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2008, 9:57pm

Ouch, bad luck!!!  Sorry to hear, but glad we met and glad you got on the board!  Water is treacherous stuff, especially in a turn.

"You will learn, young Skywalker..."

(Sorry, there's a Star Wars movie playing on TV behind me  Cheesy )

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2008, 9:59pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2008, 7:25pm

Mindbent,

Just so you don't feel alone in your derailluer woes. Whilst riding my home made with goldrushdave a year or two ago (no clipless pedals) I dodged a rock and put my right foot down to catch myself. My leg swung back and hit the derailleur sending it right into the spokes. Soo sad, crunck crack off goes the derailleur in a contorted wad and out went a couple spokes tweaking the rim pretty good. Bent the drop out up pretty good too. My first SAG ride. The old home made lives yet. I rode it Father's day. Evereything can be fixed. Well, maybe not Gregs Caero.

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2008, 6:07pm

I have a Sram x.4 from my Cafe that I am not using. Send me a PM and we'll figure out how to get it to you.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print