Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 27th, 2024, 2:01pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trike or Bent project? (Read 1322 times)
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Trike or Bent project?
Jun 2nd, 2008, 4:43pm

Every once in a while I surf to the Atomic Zombie web site to drool and wonder if any of our group have ever taken a close look at some of their trike and bike plans. The one set of plans they don't have available right now (Marauder Reloaded ) http://atomiczombie.com/ has my intrest peaked. Only real problem I have is a lack of a welder of any type and the skill needed to use one Smiley so I would have to "outsource" the frame welding, but would enjoy building the low racer. I doubt it could compete with a Baron or Performer, but would be a blast to ride and would be highly DART bus/rail friendly.
Guess I am just looking for others who might have the same yearning to build and ride the cool bent.
Drop me a wire if you are, maybe we could conspire together, like when we were kids and didn't care what our ride looked like as long as we built it ourselves. Usually out of our dads 2X4s and our metal roller skates  Grin

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Trike or Bent project?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 1:32am

Harbor Freight will be having a sale this Friday that has a flux core MIG machine on sale for $99 that will work well on thin bike frame tubing. The best way to learn how to weld on a bike frame is welding on a bike frame, get a welder and get started...

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:26am

Quote from Opus the Poet on Jun 3rd, 2008, 1:32am:
Harbor Freight will be having a sale this Friday that has a flux core MIG machine on sale for $99 that will work well on thin bike frame tubing. The best way to learn how to weld on a bike frame is welding on a bike frame, get a welder and get started...

I will strongly consider this Opus. Question, would this be safe to do on a fairly large patio of an apartment.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:19am

I would say, ask your apartment manager...  I'm betting they will say, "HECK, no!!!!!"   Smiley

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:25pm

I can see the sign on the balcony now:

Welding done here
No project too big.....
As long as I can carry it up the stairs!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 3:13pm

As somebody who is in the multifamily business I can say don't do it.  You would not only ruin your day but everybody else in your building if you accidentally start a fire.  While it's unlikely that a small welder will cause a fire all it takes is one spark on dry leaves and poof.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 9:35pm

Thanks for all the input folks. Of course I would not weld on my patio  Wink it's a fire code violation and just not a wise move.  Cheesy. I do know a welder and we might be able to work something out if I decide to do the build.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print