Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
30 mph crosswind interval training (Read 1681 times)
Bud_Bent

30 mph crosswind interval training
May 1st, 2008, 8:42pm

I've just been doing neighborhood rides, trying to regain some endurance. But, with a 30 mph wind, I just don't feel safe mixing it with traffic. That kind of wind seems to blow around the SUV's even more than me.

So today, I just went over to the Joe Pool dam with the Roadster. With the rails on the sides of that road, even with this kind of wind, it's rideable on a low bike. Other than short hills on the ends, it's nice and flat too, so it's a great place to compare your training efforts.

The news today was not good. My sprint speed was 6 mph slower than last summer, and my recovery speed, that is, the speed I have to slow down to, to get my heart rate back to an easy rate, was 5 mph slower. In case I needed a reminder of just how far I've tumbled, today was a dramatic one. As slow as I am right now, I might as well just take my most comfortable bike, the Corsa, to Cross Timbers.

Oh well, there's nothing to be done about it but train. And I did get in a good 25 miles today. And, I'm getting close to having the Roadster dialed in.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: 30 mph crosswind interval training
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2008, 9:09pm

Bud my friend, if I had had lung surgery and chemo treatments I'd be lucky to ride again, what's a few mph, I'm probably that much slower and I got nothing like a good excuse.  You're an inspiration to us!  Just keep on truckin'  Smiley

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2008, 9:32pm

Bud, I bet you'll surprise yourself with how fast you get back to normal.  In the meantime enjoy the ride!  After cancer, surgery and chemo, you're still faster than me!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2008, 10:47pm

Bud ,big picture ,what's a few mph? Enjoy the rides for what they are.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2008, 10:51pm

You can't use a high wind ride like yesterday to decide that you're x% slower than you were last year.  Get some more training in on the bike and evaluate it for distance.  You've got time to decide.

Turns out I'm off the 5th after all.  I can't go fishing becasue I have a interview for a summer job, but I can get up early and go riding with you for 40 or so if you want and we can hash it out!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2008, 7:31am

Bud, with what you've gone through, look through your rose color glasses  Cheesy

Several years ago I had a serious illness, and went through 12 months of injection therapy, similar to chemo.  The side effect is like having the flu every day, for 12 consecutive months.  The result is you're too sick to ride and can barely get out of bed.  

After 12 months off the bike, I was amazed at how quickly the endurance and strength came back.  My first ride was the Aledo pay ride.  It took everything I had to finish the 20 mile route.  Within a short period of time I did the Lancaster 100k, and was considerably stronger.

I have a suggestion... Log your stats., and revel in your continual improvements.  Give yourself small rewards for achieving incremental goals.  

Pick at distance at Cross Timbers that you'll be comfortable with.  I'll ride whatever distance you choose, even if it's the day of the event.  I can't wait to ride with you again, my friend  Wink

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2008, 9:08am

Quote from aikigreg on May 1st, 2008, 10:51pm:
You can't use a high wind ride like yesterday to decide that you're x% slower than you were last year. Get some more training in on the bike and evaluate it for distance. You've got time to decide.

Turns out I'm off the 5th after all. I can't go fishing becasue I have a interview for a summer job, but I can get up early and go riding with you for 40 or so if you want and we can hash it out!

Yeah, the crosswind made me slow. Yeah, that's it.   LOL

I think Rose and I are going to be harassing the crappie at Cedar Creek Lake, Monday.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2008, 9:13am

Quote from bikerteam on May 2nd, 2008, 7:31am:

Pick at distance at Cross Timbers that you'll be comfortable with. I'll ride whatever distance you choose, even if it's the day of the event. I can't wait to ride with you again, my friend Wink

I'm getting in enough miles lately, and felt fine on a 50 mile ride last week, so I don't think distance is going to be a problem. It just may take me a while to ride the distance.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2008, 10:47am

Turn your computer over and pay no attention to it until you're finished, and then look at it only to get the mileage...  mph is IRRELEVANT!!!

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2008, 10:48am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2008, 11:40am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 2nd, 2008, 10:47am:
Turn your computer over and pay no attention to it until you're finished, and then look at it only to get the mileage... mph is IRRELEVANT!!!

That's pretty much what I've been doing, just putting in miles to improve my endurance. But at some point, if speed matters to you, you need to ramp it up. That's the part that ain't working so well, yet.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2008, 11:48am

I'm with Ray any distance, any time, I just looking forward to ride with you again.

Peggy

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2008, 12:03pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on May 2nd, 2008, 11:40am:
Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 2nd, 2008, 10:47am:
Turn your computer over and pay no attention to it until you're finished, and then look at it only to get the mileage... mph is IRRELEVANT!!!

That's pretty much what I've been doing, just putting in miles to improve my endurance. But at some point, if speed matters to you, you need to ramp it up. That's the part that ain't working so well, yet.

I believe I remember a post from a "Mr Bud Baker"(not long ago) telling someone that "speed only matters during a race" &" also speed only matters when someone sets a personal best time."

Bud ,just keep on truckin' on . Forget the speed.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2008, 12:09pm

Quote from Mrs Strada on May 2nd, 2008, 11:48am:
I'm with Ray any distance, any time, I just looking forward to ride with you again.

Peggy

I am certainly looking forward to riding with all of y'all again! I'll see how I do at Cross Timbers, and take it from there.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2008, 2:05pm

Yeah Bud,

Listen to what the almighty said, just keep on crankin. I on the other hand have nothing to blame my pokeyness on. You at your worst are still faster than me at my best and with only a lung and a half!!!  

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print