Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 7:31pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kennedale - Briaroaks (Read 1190 times)
Bud_Bent

Kennedale - Briaroaks
May 11th, 2008, 4:23pm

Peggy, Steve, and I left Sonora Park in Kennedale at 8:00 am this morning, to ride my 86 mile Kennedale - Briaroaks route. It was cool, with a howling north wind, but turned into a beautiful (if still windy) day. There were more chasing dogs than I enjoy seeing on a ride (Steve would stir them up, then Peggy and I, behind him, would suffer the consequences), but traffic was light, the route is very scenic, and I was with great company, so you had to call it a great ride.

I've been ramping up my miles the last few weeks, trying to recover from my health issues and down time. Last Sunday, I rode 61 miles on the flat roads near home, and felt great, so I figured I was ready for an 86 mile ride with lots of rolling hills. I was mistaken.

After 27 miles of rolling hills, I noticed that pedaling up even the smallest incline already had me feeling wiped out, and in spite of the fact that almost all of our miles, up to that point, had been ridden with a tail wind, my average speed was just over 14 mph. My inhaler wasn't controlling my asthma well, either, which also didn't help. I came to the realization that I might not be able to complete 86 miles, and even if I was able to, it would involve lots of stops and slow climbing, and keep Steve and Peggy out on the ride way more hours than they deserved.

I made the decision at that point to cut off the route. We did a route that was in between the 86 and 53 mile routes, and modified the route a bit at the end to ride fewer hills. I was slow and wheezing and hacking, but finished the ride fine. We ended up with 55.8 miles, 2332 feet of climbing, and a 13.8 mph on-the-bike average. Considering my limitations today, I have decided to do the 100k route at the Cross Timbers Classic next week, rather than the 100 mile route I had planned to do.

Thanks, Peggy and Steve! It's always a pleasure riding with y'all.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Kennedale - Briaroaks
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2008, 4:37pm

Well Bud, I would say that you had a great ride even though it wasn't what you planned on. It takes time for the body to heal and or adept to it's new setup (for lack of a better term for me)  
I was out this morning myself and it was cold with that wind from the north. I rode to RLP and the Village creek park and neighborhood and home for 41 miles. To some that wouldn't be a big deal but for me, I felt it was great. I even shadowed 2 DFers from RLP to Village Creek, they were surprised when they turned into the VC neighborhood and found me still behind them because they were riding at abt 17mph. Cheesy

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2008, 5:36pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on May 11th, 2008, 4:23pm:
Peggy, Steve, and I left Sonora Park in Kennedale at 8:00 am this morning, to ride my 86 mile Kennedale - Briaroaks route. It was cool, with a howling north wind, but turned into a beautiful (if still windy) day. There were more chasing dogs than I enjoy seeing on a ride (Steve would stir them up, then Peggy and I, behind him, would suffer the consequences), but traffic was light, the route is very scenic, and I was with great company, so you had to call it a great ride.

I've been ramping up my miles the last few weeks, trying to recover from my health issues and down time. Last Sunday, I rode 61 miles on the flat roads near home, and felt great, so I figured I was ready for an 86 mile ride with lots of rolling hills. I was mistaken.

After 27 miles of rolling hills, I noticed that pedaling up even the smallest incline already had me feeling wiped out, and in spite of the fact that almost all of our miles, up to that point, had been ridden with a tail wind, my average speed was just over 14 mph. My inhaler wasn't controlling my asthma well, either, which also didn't help. I came to the realization that I might not be able to complete 86 miles, and even if I was able to, it would involve lots of stops and slow climbing, and keep Steve and Peggy out on the ride way more hours than they deserved.

I made the decision at that point to cut off the route. We did a route that was in between the 86 and 53 mile routes, and modified the route a bit at the end to ride fewer hills. I was slow and wheezing and hacking, but finished the ride fine. We ended up with 55.8 miles, 2332 feet of climbing, and a 13.8 mph on-the-bike average. Considering my limitations today, I have decided to do the 100k route at the Cross Timbers Classic next week, rather than the 100 mile route I had planned to do.

Thanks, Peggy and Steve! It's always a pleasure riding with y'all.

Bud ,Thank you for the company(& sharing Peggy's Mothers' Day with us). Yes,it was a beautiful day(a little cool,but what the heck)& very good job on the ride report. This has to be one of the more scenic routes around. Peggy & I love this route(very little road traffic ,good road condition-except in a few spots,pretty scenery). Peggy & I think you rode amazingly well for someone 1 month removed from Chemo & missing a 1/3 of their left lung. Be patient with yourself. "Baby steps".  

It was a GREAT ride,because it was fun ride.(AND no mechanicals,crashes,or rednecks in pick up trucks). Fun...a word Bud & I had a discussion about while riding today. Too many times rides are described as "challenging" ,"flat" ,  "hilly" ,etc...AND the word fun never enters into the discussion.

As always ,the post ride meal is always a treat as laughs & stories were shared.  

We'll see you Saturday at Cross Timbers.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2008, 10:22pm

bummer!  I know how you feel.  I'm wondering if it wasn't all the flowering plants and such causing all your hacking.  I know I sneezed up a storm all day yesterday on and off the bike.  Were you on the corsa or the lowracer?

At least Steve, Peggy and I will finally be able to give you your birthday present next week!

Keep at it Bud - you'll be back to your old self in no time.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2008, 7:45am

Quote from aikigreg on May 11th, 2008, 10:22pm:
bummer! I know how you feel. I'm wondering if it wasn't all the flowering plants and such causing all your hacking. I know I sneezed up a storm all day yesterday on and off the bike. Were you on the corsa or the lowracer?

At least Steve, Peggy and I will finally be able to give you your birthday present next week!

Keep at it Bud - you'll be back to your old self in no time.

Greg,that's exactly what Peggy was saying on the ride yesterday. Combine all of the pollen & dry air from the cold front that was blowing through yesterday ,that could have contributed to some shortness of breath.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2008, 8:20pm

Quote from aikigreg on May 11th, 2008, 10:22pm:
I know how you feel. I'm wondering if it wasn't all the flowering plants and such causing all your hacking. I know I sneezed up a storm all day yesterday on and off the bike.

Quote from Strada177 on May 12th, 2008, 7:45am:

Greg,that's exactly what Peggy was saying on the ride yesterday. Combine all of the pollen & dry air from the cold front that was blowing through yesterday ,that could have contributed to some shortness of breath.

I really don't think it was allergies at all, just plain old exercise induced asthma. I've had it all this year, it's getting worse, and the inhaler I have isn't controlling it well at all, now.  I have an appointment with my regular doctor next Monday to see if I can get something better to manage it. That won't help me this Saturday at Cross Timbers, but hopefully I can wheeze through 100k alright.

At this point, I don't know how much of my riding weakness is chemo recovery related, or how much is from the asthma, either. Only getting a handle on the asthma will tell me that.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2008, 8:24pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2008, 9:15pm

Asthma is nothing to take lightly. Bud ,please be careful with this . Glad to hear you're going to see your doctor.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2008, 9:20pm

I dunno man, I've felt like crap all dy and just started coughing up a storm.   So don't discount it's effect with the cool spring and extra sky water, but I'm sure it's just aggravatuing what's already there.  Hope you can find a regimen that'll work.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print