Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 8:01pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Muenster Germanfest/Rally, Apr 26 (Read 4211 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Muenster Germanfest/Rally, Apr 26
Apr 14th, 2008, 9:01am

Anybody interested in doing Muenster in a couple weeks?  I haven't done it before, and it looks like I can do it this year...

The 100 kilometer (63 mi.); 65 Kilometer (40 mi.); and 35 Kilometer (22 mi.) course is pedaled over paved roads in this beautiful and scenic North Texas area. It is a fast and challenging course. Be prepared for some long and steep climbs up rolling hills and the exhiliration you'll experience coming down! (For PDF map of route, click here.)  

ENTRY FEES: All entries postmarked by April 19, 2008, will be $25 per rider. All entries postmaked after April 19, 2008, and those who register the day of the ride will be $30 per rider. Registration is at the Sacred Heart Community Center, located on Main Street, 6 blocks north of Hwy. 82. Entries postmarked by April 19, 2008, will receive a FREE T-Shirt. Packets and T-Shirts can be picked up at the Community Center between 8:00 am and 10:30 am the day of the ride. T-shirts must be picked up the day of the ride. T-shirts will be presented to the first 1500 registered entries.  

PRE-REGISTRATION AND PACKET PICK-UP: From Thurs. April 17 thru Thurs. April 24 at Richardson Bike Mart, in Richardson, SE corner of Coit & Campbell Rds.; Denton Bicycle Center, 1700 N. Elm, in Denton; Duane Knabe, CPA, at 124 S. Mesquite in Muenster (south of Sonic off Hwy 82); or Online Registration.  

Each rider will receive 1 FREE pass to the Germanfest grounds the day of the rally and 2 FREE tickets for Beer or Coca Cola products.

http://www.germanfest.net/bike.htm

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Re: Muenster Germanfest/Rally, Apr 26
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2008, 9:34am

Muenster is a wonderful ride. It IS hilly though. It has a relatively late start (11 am) which can be good or bad. I'm planning on the 40 miler - did the 100k last yr and I'm not sure I'm in shape for that yet...

Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2008, 4:33pm

I noticed there were complaints about parking last yr. Here's how I handle it:  

1. Preregister for the ride and pickup your packet early. Late registration on ride day is a ways away from the ride start.  

2. When arriving into town on 82 heading west, IGNORE the signs about rally registration and keep going straight. Turn right on Maple St (1st road after Main St). Main street is easy to identify since it's blocked off for the ride. Park on Maple, 2nd St, Elm St or 1st St.  

Parking here puts you close to the ride start, within walking distance to the Germanfest and there's usually a porta potty at Elm and 2nd for the tent campers.   Cool

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2008, 6:49pm

Very nice, thanks for the tips!!!

robert.j

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2008, 7:19pm

I haven't checked the schedule, but if I'm free I'll make this ride.  I saw on a website a couple of years ago where most of the pay rides in Texas were rated for difficulty, the 100K Muenster ride was rated the MOST difficult, a lot of total climbing.  So I'm probably in only for the 40 miler as this has been a lousy year so far for time on the bike.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2008, 7:40pm

Weather permitting the Stradas will be there. Peggy & I will be riding the 100K route ,but we WILL NOT be racing the course. With the MS-150 the following weekend ,we owe it to our MS 150 team & cash donors to be in one piece for the MS event.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2008, 8:17pm

Quote from Strada177 on Apr 14th, 2008, 7:40pm:
Weather permitting the Stradas will be there. Peggy & I will be riding the 100K route ,but we WILL NOT be racing the course. With the MS-150 the following weekend ,we owe it to our MS 150 team & cash donors to be in one piece for the MS event.

Whoa, there, Podnuh... who said anything about RACING????  I'm just going up to RIDE the course, because I've already been hearing about the climbing involved from GDB folks the last couple of years.  This ain't no HHH speed challenge...

evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2008, 8:23pm

Just make sure you fix up your brakes there so you won't be racing down hill  Wink

I think I'm going to need to start a double oak bike rally. All these rides are too far away for my driving tastes but I may be there anyhow to see how I do on the hills.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2008, 8:28pm

Hee hee - don't burn your engines out the first 25 miles, like Bud and I did last year - the real climbing comes in the next 40!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2008, 9:18pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 14th, 2008, 8:17pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Apr 14th, 2008, 7:40pm:

Whoa, there, Podnuh... who said anything about RACING???? I'm just going up to RIDE the course, because I've already been hearing about the climbing involved from GDB folks the last couple of years. This ain't no HHH speed challenge...

ME. If I didn't have the MS-150 the week after ,I would let er rip. See what I got for them hills. Based on Nelson's Cheeseburger/cheeseburger ride,them hills got plenty for me.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2008, 7:09pm

More climbing than any other ride I've done including Aledo. Still a lot of fun.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2008, 7:31pm

You guys have got to be kidding me.  We have tons harder rides out of Mineral Wells, Palo Pinto, Glen Rose, etc...  3k of climbing in a paltry 100k....  

p.s.  I've got a big head as I dusted a bunch of "Moritz Cadillac" jerks today at the Granbury pay ride (see my write up of this ride)

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2008, 3:01pm

Ray ,don't forget your Spanish fort ride-6,000 ft of climbing?! Not that I have done it ,but I did Nelson's Cheeseburger/Cheeseburger ride-4,500ft of climbing.

Ray ,during our MS 150 team training ride today in Flower Mound ,I saw/talked with a guy named Jeff(?) ,he's tri-athlete & works with you at Verizon.  We rode the same 50 mile route today that you took us on last year. I pulled up to that Subway shop on 377 & Jeff yells out -"Nice Bacchetta. Do you know Ray Torrey?!" He seemed liked a really nice guy. I told him to tell you I said "hey".

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2008, 4:51pm

Ray,

We all know Texas is flat so all the climbing around here is minimal.

Here's a more challenging ride for you: http://bikemountainmama.homestead.com/

That one's in the East - There's more climbing to be had in the West if that's what makes you happy.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2008, 5:28pm

Ken, that ride looks awesome.  I looked at the 100m profile, and it would be more climbing for that distance that I've everr done.  Thanks for sending it to me.  Keeping that carrot dangling in front of us is what keeps us motivated, and also humbled  Cool.

Would you be willing to let me borrow your catrike sometime this spring or summer?  I'm still highly considering a trike, but I want to do a lot of research first. I put a post on BROL that sparked a lot of feedback:
Speciality Discussions
Trikes
post name is "fastest trike"

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #15 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 2:51pm

Alexis and I are in.  Also coming is ratRider from austin to meet up with us.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #16 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 4:21pm

Angie and I will be there, but instead of HPV, we'll be on my Gold Wing.  I asked her what she wanted to do this weekend, and she asked for a long motorcycle ride.  I suggested we ride near my Spanish Fort RUSA Permanent, and she got all giddy.  Anyone who can ride the Muenster 100k, can certainly ride my 220k.  Same hills, just more of em'.  

We'll ride it in reverse, and will be on the lookout for bents.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 8:33pm

Quote from bikerteam on Apr 23rd, 2008, 4:21pm:
Angie and I will be there, but instead of HPV, we'll be on my Gold Wing. I asked her what she wanted to do this weekend, and she asked for a long motorcycle ride. I suggested we ride near my Spanish Fort RUSA Permanent, and she got all giddy. Anyone who can ride the Muenster 100k, can certainly ride my 220k. Same hills, just more of em'.

We'll ride it in reverse, and will be on the lookout for bents.

Ray , always good to see you. Peggy & I haven't see Angie since last year's RBENT ride you lead in Flower Mound. Do you require a a first born child ,1st moth mortgage payment ,large amount of CASH ,& a hard copy insurance waiver 1 month prior to riding of your Spanish Fort route??

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Apr 24th, 2008, 9:14am

Looks like I'm not doing Muenster this year, after all -- my apologies, I'll miss riding with y'all...

Steve, have a brew for me....

PB

bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2008, 9:38am

Steve,

Just give me a date/time that you want to ride Spanish Fort, and I'll send you the documents.  Personally, I won't be able to ride it until early June. I'm tied up on (I believe) on most weekends in May, though I do plan on riding the Mineral Wells Perm on the 24 as I love climbing the infamous "cherry pie hill".

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #20 - Apr 24th, 2008, 9:41am

Steve if you decide to to Spanish Fort Count me in!  Its a very pretty route.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #21 - Apr 24th, 2008, 9:49am

I'd be up for a June Spanish fort, for sure.  Nelson, how much climbing do you do at Mineral Wells, aside from CP hill?  I was thinking that might be my best opportunity before fall to try a 300k.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #22 - Apr 24th, 2008, 10:37am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 24th, 2008, 9:14am:
Looks like I'm not doing Muenster this year, after all -- my apologies, I'll miss riding with y'all...

Steve, have a brew for me....

PB

Paul , sorry to hear things did not work out for you for this ride. Peggy & I always enjoy your company. We'll miss you ,but catch another time. If I must ,I will pour down a cold one in you honor(not that anyone had to twist my arm for that extra beer).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #23 - Apr 24th, 2008, 2:49pm

Looks like I'll be there, and Charlie also, although I don't know if he's on his Strada or his upright.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #24 - Apr 24th, 2008, 4:32pm

Hi Greg,

I'm not sure about the Mineral Wells 300K route, but the the 200K was an out and back last year and the climbing is considerable.  I've done the 400K and 600K and they are some of the hilliest rides available to us. Cherry Pie is interesting to say the least on a hot afternoon at the 350 mile point of a 375 mile ride.  I went home and changed my cassette from 12-28 to 11-34 after that one.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #25 - Apr 24th, 2008, 8:12pm

Nelson , Peggy & I are sticking with the 200K's for awhile. It's sounds more than challenging enough for us.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #26 - Apr 24th, 2008, 10:42pm

Looks like I'm bringing out the tica for this one, boys and girls.   Mark Leuck is bringing his baron as well.  Steve and Pegs - you can ride point and kick the roadies outta the way!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #27 - Apr 25th, 2008, 12:10pm

Angie will be holding on to me tight, as we fly through them there twisty turns and hills on our new Honda Gold Wing. The color, of course, if titanium.  Hopefully we'll see you all, and depending on the timing, we'll try to be at Muenster for the 11am (ouch) start.

Make us proud, and do some two handed spankin', especially if those Moritz "boyz" show.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #28 - Apr 25th, 2008, 12:34pm

Ray/Greg....I dunno, the goal for the Stradas' is this ride will be a training ride for the MS-150. I doubt you will see Peggy & I chasing any rabbits.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2008, 2:54pm

Quote from Strada177 on Apr 25th, 2008, 12:34pm:
... I doubt you will see Peggy & I chasing any rabbits.

Oh, yeah, RIGHT!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #30 - Apr 25th, 2008, 3:58pm

Peggy / Steve - as soon as you get passed by a bunch of roadies, you'll be chasing them down...   And I'll be  there to watch Grin Shocked Cool

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Turtle

honorary rbent
member &
handcyclist

Reply #31 - Apr 25th, 2008, 5:19pm

Okay...I know this is a late post...but I'll be riding too!  I told Foo tonight that I wanted to go, and I did all the research, so we should be ready to go.  

I know none of you speedies will be riding on the 22-mile route, so I'll just see you at the beginning and the end.  Don't drink all of the beer, Steve.  Leave me at least one.

Turtle   Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #32 - Apr 25th, 2008, 6:50pm

Quote from Turtle on Apr 25th, 2008, 5:19pm:
Okay...I know this is a late post...but I'll be riding too! I told Foo tonight that I wanted to go, and I did all the research, so we should be ready to go.

I know none of you speedies will be riding on the 22-mile route, so I'll just see you at the beginning and the end. Don't drink all of the beer, Steve. Leave me at least one.

Turtle Cheesy

Turtle( I KNOW who you are from Mikey's blog) ,that is very good news. Cliff wants to ride with us also. As far as the roadies/beer ,I make no promises(other than I will have more than ONE beer).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #33 - Apr 25th, 2008, 10:27pm

Friends,hills,music, adult beverages,and rabbits to chase. This should be a great(yea) day.  
                                                                               Mrs Strada

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Turtle

honorary rbent
member &
handcyclist

Reply #34 - Apr 27th, 2008, 11:37am

It was definitely a YEA ride yesterday!  I'm still reeling from the fun we had.  Although a bit windy (so what else is new), the temperature was perfect and the skies sunny.  I personally had a great ride, taking pictures along the way.  Not as good as the other 'Rbent photogs, but not bad for a beginner.  The after party at the Muenster Germanfest was fun.  Gotta love those brats and beer.

Turtle

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print