Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 10th, 2024, 6:30am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handlebar too high? I want bigger tires! (Read 2349 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Handlebar too high? I want bigger tires!
Mar 28th, 2008, 12:02pm

Ok I changed my kenda's out for primo comets 1.5s which may quell my thirst for big tires for now. I want 2.0 Marathon Supremes. I don't like you teeny aluminum front fork! *sigh*

Well anyways. That handlebar was always in my LOS more then I'd like and I'm wondering if I have it up too high. It came delivered with it a few inches slid up on the riser adjustment. Here is the picture I see online on the fit guide and it looks like his shoulders are at the level of the handlebars.  

Here is one of my pics when I was riding inclided to the 3rd recline pin. The handlebar definately looks to be a few inches higher on mine.  

Last night I actually put the seat down to the last pin on the recline and was definately reaching up to the handlebars and my helmet light was shining off into the sky thanks to resting on the adem headrest.  Is it just a matter of personal preference or are there any real pro/cons to lowering the bars which I think will put my arms more straight as I reach for the grips?

Course I probably shouldn't fiddle with this when I plan on riding 100 miles tommorow but apparantly I can't help myself.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Handlebar too high? I want bigger tires!
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2008, 12:26pm

You want the bars as low as possible to be more aero, but not so low that your shin hits the bar and you can maneuver well.  However, keep in mind that the neight needed changes depending on the amount of seat recline, so don't do anything drastic until you're sure - like chopping off the riser.

On tire issues - 1.5s oughta be enough.  2.0s are going to slow you way down and why buy a nice aero bike but put permanent brakes on?  That's like a 10k stereo on a 1k car! Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2008, 12:39pm

Actually I really just want marathon supreme tires which only come as small as 2.0
My fallback is marathon plus but those things are tanks and who wants 4lbs of tires on a high racer right  Smiley
I gotta do what I gotta do to roll through glass, nails and all the other crap on my commute though. The last place I want to fix a flat is in rushhour with no shoulder/sidewalk with everyone rushing about. The primos are only a temporary replacement since the kendas got slashed up and nothing else was available that I had heard of. They do roll and feel nice though. I'll probably keep them for racing and such.

My bars were probably definately too high. I don't think my knee would get above them and just the top of my shins would run them on turns. I may lower it down but I won't be cutting anything off. As I keep losing some wieght it'll all slowly change to as I sink less into the seat but arent' pushed out as much from the seat and all that jazz.

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2008, 1:01pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2008, 1:02pm

I'd suggest going with whatever is comfortable and practical, making sure you leave the minimum recommended amount of riser inside the support tube...  You can always order a different handlebar set, or try the new "non-superman" mod that RANS has come out with that lets you adjust grip angle, etc.

http://www.ransbikes.com/ITR63.htm

And, hey,  if you want to put 2" tires on the bike, just DO it...  it's your bike!!!  Flats while commuting are a BAD thing...   Get a second set of wheels, so you can swap out depending upon what type of riding you're going out for...  That's what I've done with my SXP, since it's my "all purpose" bike -- I put 1.25" or wider tires on the stock Alex DA16 rims with an 11-34 cassete to use for trails, etc., and 1" on the Velocity Thracians with an 11-32 when faster/longer rides are happening...

Granted, that gives you an additional cassette to worry about replacing, depending upon chain wear...   Angry

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2008, 1:15pm

The problem is the fork only fits maybe 1.75 but probably a little less with fenders. I'm not ready to try and see if I can get a replacement non-B fork yet. Right now I'm holding out hopes that schwalbe will make it in a smaller size since almost all the comments on their page ask for a smaller one.
Going from marathon plus to supremes on my touring bike made a huge difference in ride and percieved effort on hills/starts.

Those handlebars do look nice. I'm still having a problem turning at slower speed after almost 400 miles. Maybe it will get better but for commuting some bars like that might be nice.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2008, 3:42pm

Ah, I had forgotten about the commuting thing for some reason.  I ran marathon plus on my p-38, so even if you can't get the others you can still run an indestructible tire.  Heavy, yes, but tank treads roll on!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2008, 7:54pm

I remember when I first did my commute down here. Marathon Plus 700x32 Tires, Mr Tuffy lines, Thorn Resistant Tubes and tire sealant. I did that for a while and then I got a road bike with 700x25 armadilloelites and WOW did that thing fly!  Grin

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2008, 7:55pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2008, 9:23am

Those Primo Comets won't hold up to glass well at all unless they are the Kevlar Comets.

The handlebar really should be lowered enough to just allow knee and shin clearance.

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2008, 9:25am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2008, 2:49pm

You can also go down to 559 tires.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2008, 3:16pm

Primo comets didnt' do so well at aledo. No flats but I think at my weight they either are too hard for the chipseal or too soft not to feel completely flat.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
Tom Nuchols

rbent member

Problem with petal vibration
Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2008, 8:00pm

undecidedI am have a problem with petal chatter or vibration on my Bacchetta Giro 20.  It hapopens when I am in a higher gear and usually in a possition to be putting heavy pressure on the petals, mainly on grades.  I do notice it when I am in the lower gears or  using medium to light pressure on the petals.
I took the bike to Bike and Fittness in Longview and they did not  find anything  wrong.  
One of the mechanics who is not a bent fan told me that the problem was that the parts were designed for a mountian  bike and a recumbent puts unusal stress on the parts.   I doubt that this has much validity.

Tom Nuchols

IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2008, 8:49pm

Chipceal at Aledo?  Where?

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2008, 9:05pm

Hi Tom,

I too have noticed the vibration at certain loads (usually a big gear going hard).  My theory is that it is the chain vibration under load oscilating just right to feed back into the cranks/pedals.  I like it, It lets me know I'm going fast Grin  I've felt it on uprights too, but it is not surprisingly a higher frequency as the chain is shorter.  By the way I believe that is how the Polar brand computer detects power output.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print