Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 26th, 2024, 1:38pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Impromptu ride yesterday.... (Read 797 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Impromptu ride yesterday....
Mar 27th, 2008, 1:07pm

I got back from the doctor's early yesterday and had time enugh to get in 37 miles from my house to the end of the trinity, and a bit through gateway park.  I'm in the clipless shoes now, and have to stop to sort of stretch out my big toe and let it calm down from the pain, but about mile 25 it seemed to just accept the pain (clipping in still hurt) and I could ride continuously.  Either that, or I damaged the nerves.  Either way is fine by me  Grin

My medium carbon aero has now transformed into a large, thanks to a trade with a travelling chicken equipment salesman.  No, I'm not kidding.  First ride out in good.  I'm a lot more comfortable on the bike now, but I still need those long reach handlebars.  I guess I just have baby little T-Rex arms.   cry

God the wind was brutal.  I knew I was in for it when I passed a guy on the lonely stretch of the park trail who wanted to try and suck my wheel, and we were doing 30 down the stretch.  I kept playing with the guy for 5 miles, letting him get within a few bike lengths and then click-click and I'm a half mile down the road.  Finally eased up on the guy once we turned into the wind.  I had to slow down to 8 to let him catch up, since we were in a headwind by that time.  12 was all I could do anyway.  I think we may see a new bent rider soon.

Saw a plump lady riding a USS bike down the trail.  Anyone know her?  

Got blown off the trail once - thankfully onto the gravel lane.  I swear there were a couple points when I was leaning at a 45* angle to the trail.

On my way back into the wind I had one roadie catch up and pass me, and I latched onto him and scared the pee outta the boy for 6 miles.  I've never seen someone turn their head so much - thought he was gonna get a crick!  I didn't pass him because we were on a narrow busy part of the trail, and the sidewinds were insane.  Didn't want to risk it.  At the tandy center I had to let him go though - my bride was calling to see where to join up and ride with me.  My toes were killing me anyway.

Anyone know what the wind was gusting to yesterday?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Impromptu ride yesterday....
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2008, 1:21pm

Gusts might have hit 30+...   I was riding into it on the way home at 6PM, and it hadn't weakened any.  Headed south, I just laid the seat back another notch and cruised at 14-15...  

We had the same south wind Tuesday night on the GDB ride out of REI -- we went west on Valley View out to Luna, turning south there, and everybody went instantly into "huddled draft" mode -- except me, who decided to be goofy and ride alongside everybody, "inspecting" the line...   Cheesy

Also had a car come up beside me at a light, and the driver says: "Hey, that looks like a GREAT ride, especially into this wind!!!"  Which created a bit of grumbling from those around me...  Wink

Hey, I just tell 'em to "get your own!"

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2008, 2:42pm

Quote from aikigreg on Mar 27th, 2008, 1:07pm:
Saw a plump lady riding a USS bike down the trail.  Anyone know her?  

I bet no one will want to guess a name to attach to a lady only described as "plump"!!  For sure most of us guys are at least that smart. Grin

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2008, 3:21pm

Yes, I was waiting to see who would say "Oh, that was my wife!"   Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2008, 8:01pm

Hey, I could be less.....tactful, but I was doing the best I could!   Grin

Had a half hour of sunlight and went for 6 miles of intervals and hills.   I still climb like arse but I did catch up to and draft a truck who was trying to accellerate away from me Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2008, 5:31am

You're right about the wind on the TT yesterday.  Pretty tough going south.  I was out on it from 4 to 5:15 and didn't see but 4 or 5 other bikers (no bents).  Left work and got on at the Rec center on Chambers and went out to and around the Colonial clubhouse and back.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2008, 6:30am

Looks like we just missed each other again.  I hit the trail from the New Hope Church at about 4:15.   Wink

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print