Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 26th, 2024, 1:16pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aledo Ride for the Heroes (Read 573 times)
robert.j

rbent member

Aledo Ride for the Heroes
Mar 29th, 2008, 2:05pm

After waking up at 5:00 AM to a very loud thunderstorm in Keller, I was happy to look at the radar and see nothing else headed our way.  Great day for cycling, cool and overcast. no wind to speak of.  I got there a little late so missed the first group off for the longer rides (62-75-100) so don't know if any bents were in the lead group.  After checking in we just did get in line before the shorter distance group started, so didn't get to check out that crowd for bents either.  Charlie unexpectedly showed up and we had a couple of guys on DFs from my office.  We mostly hung together throughout the ride.  Early on passed a lady riding an EZ and a few miles down the road passed a couple of guys on some type of Rans bikes, but didn't recognize either.  At the last rest stop as I was standing in the restroom line, I saw who I assume to be evblazer headed out.  Sorry I missed you and would have liked to meet you, but we were headed the shorter route from there.  Your bike looked really nice.
Mostly slow the first 20 miles, a little faster the third 10 and a lot faster the last 10, which was a blast.  Great rest stops, lots of enthusiastic volunteers, pretty challenging course - lots of hills - and just an overall nice way to spend a Saturday morning.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Re: Aledo Ride for the Heroes
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2008, 3:12pm

Short sorry I missed you. That must have been at the 40 mile rest stop which was the only place I stopped and tried to walk off some ouchies.
I did see a recumbent coming in after I packed up and was heading out but there was no way I'd be able to get up out of my car again. I hadn't seen any in the lead group  at all so I thought it was just me.

75 miles + primo comet pumped way up + chip seal = OUCH

So no 100 for me but I probably either would have sagged or just not been able ot move if I did make it.
oy those hills.. those hills were sooooo long. Did make 42 on a downhill though Smiley
75 miles in seconds less then 5 hours is pretty good for me. My longest ride at once on the giro is probably 30 up till now.

Oh and Ouch  cry

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2008, 3:43pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print