Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 15th, 2024, 5:41am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Denton Trail from Corinth and or 380 North? (Read 854 times)
irodguy

rbent member

Denton Trail from Corinth and or 380 North?
Mar 25th, 2008, 10:57pm

Has anybody rode either of the two rail trails in the Denton area?  I am just about to install my new primo    
comet kevlars on the LWB.  I was planning on riding the rail trails with it.  I just could not see riding on gravel with the trike.  

I am wondering  
1) Are they pretty much flat?  What condition are they in?  

I was thinking of parking in Corinth and riding to Denton then lunch at Fuzzy's and back to Corinth.  

Thanks

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Re: Denton Trail from Corinth and or 380 North?
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2008, 4:20pm

A couple of weeks ago we rode the Denton rail-to-trail on a Sunday.  We parked at the north end right next to Fred Moore High School (which was surprisingly small and may just be an administration building).  We rode our Anura trikes in tandem.  The trail, for the most part, is in very good condition with a max of a 2 to 3% grade.  

The biggest problem is that about 3 miles from the north end it crosses 288, a very busy 4 lane rode.  To get across it you have to detour over to Colorado Blvd, another very busy 4 lane road.  The intersection is all torn up as is both sides of 288 from the trail to Colorado, meaning there are no sidewalks or sholder for traveling on.  We ended up pulling the trikes over piles of soft dirt to get across 288 and back on the trail. (On top of that, we got our first flat tire.)

There are a number of places to eat on 288, but I really don't remember much further south or in Corinth.  The trail travels mostly through residential neighborhoods.

If we ride it again, we will park at Target or Mens Warehouse, which is just south of 288 on the east side of the trail.  There are several paths through a small woody strip from the parking lot to the rail to trail.  That will bypass the difficult crossing of 288.

As far as rail-to-trails go, we preferred the Mineral Wells one, starting at the Weatherford end.

I hope this helps.
Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2008, 7:21pm

Thanks Richard.  I was actually going to park in Corinth and ride the trail North.  I have a couple of friends to meet for lunch in Downtown Denton.   It appears that I will have to scout out the crossing points.  

Now that you mention the other trails, how do the trikes handle on them?  I was going to ride by LWB at least in Denton.  Would I be okay riding my catrike in mineral wells?

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2008, 12:21pm

Your catrike would work great on the rail-to-trails.  The trails are wide where 2 trikes could easily pass, with very few rough areas.  Most of the surface is hard packed crushed gravel.  We have 1 3/8 inch tires on 16 inch wheels.  They leave a barely visible track in the gravel.  Except for the road crossing in Denton we have been able to ride everything.

Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2008, 2:28pm

Quote from richardr on Mar 26th, 2008, 4:20pm:
The biggest problem is that about 3 miles from the north end it crosses 288, a very busy 4 lane rode.

This is such a shame. When we lived in Lewisville, Cheryl and I used to start at the south end, near Swisher, and ride north. When we first started going up there, the trail went under 288, and I sort of assumed that there'd be a tunnel under the road, same as at one of the main roads farther south on the trail.

Another case where cyclists and dog walkers get short shrift.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2008, 10:16pm

Well I looked at the loop this weekend and think I can make it past on the LWB.  Is there parking near Swisher?

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print