Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:20pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RANS V3 test riding (Read 13300 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

RANS V3 test riding
Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:10pm

I've got the steel frame RANS V3 for some test riding, as a higher BB alternative to the SXP, that supposedly has somewhat more stable low speed handling than it's prior cousin, the V26 that Barry has...  It's a couple pounds heavier than the SXP, but the price is about $1500...

It only comes with disc brakes, primarily due to the pedal position vs. the front fork -- there's no room for V-brakes (mentioned previously in The Recumbent Blog).  The handlebar consists of a straight riser about 19" long, connected to a wide U-bar that puts the ends of the grips about 24" apart.  The seat height for the SXP is listed at 21", vs. 23.5" for the V3, and the specs say that the BB is at 26", almost 10" higher than on the SXP -- you can definitely see this difference in the pic:

I can really feel this difference in basic seat height when I'm stopped, sitting with my feet down.  Someone with shorter legs could have trouble reaching the ground comfortably!  And the seat height increases as you move forward (i.e., for shorter legs)...  

I keep my seat recline on the SXP at about 55 degrees from horizontal, so I anticipated being able to recline signficantly more on the V3.  However, despite the higher BB position, the maximum useable seat recline is about 5 holes from the end of the flute tube, resulting in approximately a 45 degree seatback angle from horizontal.  This is due to two things --  once again, the seat starts digging into backs of the legs, and This is also about how far I can go and still comfortably reach the grips. (And I purchase 35/36" shirt sleeve lengths)    Reclined totally (last notch), I can barely touch the grips, and the seatpad interferes badly.  This reach issue could be corrected by an angled riser (that RANS offers), but it would still require a different style seat cushion/pad to take maximum advantage of recline.

Another interesting thing about this bike -- this must be an XL frame, because on my SXP, the seat position is about 4" from the furthest back I can put it.  On this V3, the seat is ONE INCH from the very FRONT of the adjustment range!!!  This was surprising, because the specs don't indicate this should be this difference...

I put SPD pedals on, and went for a short ride.  It felt pretty good, and I intentionally went up a short hill as slowly as I could -- the handing feels just FINE, with no noticeable wheel flop. Unfortunately, after about 5 minutes of riding around my neighborhood, it started sleeting and raining... so that was the end of THAT for today.  I spent the next rainy hour or so putting on a computer, adjusting the disc brakes, etc.

I'm planning on riding it more during the week, and taking it on a couple 40 milers this weekend.  I'll letcha know how it goes...   Wink   Right off the top, I'd say if you're looking at one of these, get an angled riser and a seat different than the "standard" style.

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2008, 2:29pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Re: RANS V3 test riding
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:58pm

Interesting.  Thanks, Paul.  We'll be following your ride reports.  I always thought the V3 was a cool-looking LWB.  

I'm surprised to see that it is so different from the SXP, but this is the first time I've seen a pic of the two side-by-side like that.  Good point about the seat pad interference too.  This bike looks like a good candidate for the new Hoagie seat, or maybe the Bacchetta Euromesh with the new universal mounting system.

How did you score a V3 for an extended test-ride?

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:02pm by bent_eagle »  

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2008, 9:26am

Hi Paul,

I too continue to be surprised that the Stratus XP is lower than everything you've compared it too.  For me lower is defintely better.  And it looks alot lower than the V3.  Now Paul you need to obtain an Xstream!  

Keep up the great analysis and feedback!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2008, 9:51am

Wasnt this the bike you tried and dismissed right before the TTTT?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2008, 10:33am

Quote from aikigreg on Mar 4th, 2008, 9:51am:
Wasnt this the bike you tried and dismissed right before the TTTT?

To a certain extent, yes - but that was Barry's aluminium frame V26.  

Since PCF had this bike on the floor, and I'd heard/read comments about the improvements put into the V3 (such that they pulled the V26 from production!), I thought it was worth checking out.  I'm definitely interested in the improved "non-faired" aerodynamics of more recline, but want to stay with LWB style...

But it's also at/near the top end of what I'm wanting to spend to come up with something for Terrie -- I don't have the bucks (or impetus) to upgrade myself to a $3500+ bike, so I'm thinking possibly get this one for an alternative bike for myself, and have her ride the SXP when we go out together -- she doesn't like recline much past 60 degrees (on a BIKE, y'all, on a BIKE...   Wink  ).

The folks at PCF have been very nice about loaning out bikes, for which I'm very appreciative...  And the Terratrike was gotten from RBM, courtesy of Glynn...

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2008, 12:48pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2008, 2:31pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Mar 4th, 2008, 9:26am:
Hi Paul,

I too continue to be surprised that the Stratus XP is lower than everything you've compared it too.  For me lower is defintely better.  And it looks alot lower than the V3.  .

Part of that is perspective of the camera lens -- but the seat is DEFINITELY higher on the V3...
PB

Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2008, 2:41pm

Paul that's the same bike they were trying to get me to take a test ride on last week when I went to buy a new cassette for Frankie. I didn't have my helmet with me (or my legs either, I gotta get back in shape) nor do I have enough money to drop $1500 on a new bike cry but that bike looks nice.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2008, 3:18pm

Just an observation -- The Stratus XP that PCF has had on the floor is out on loan at the moment, as well...

PB

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2008, 6:50pm

OK, got to take the bike out for about 10 miles total after work...  I've got a Fastback storage bag/pack on the seatback, and SPD pedals put onto it.  The seat RadLoc is about 1" from the frontmost stop, and the seat is at roughly 45 degrees.

With the seat in this position, I have to hold my arms out almost straight to fully grasp the grips.  It's workable, but I could stand a closer reach -- I've asked PCF about ordering an angled riser that would bring them in about 4" closer -- which if nothing else should help them to sell the bike to whomever!

The ride is nice, for sure, reminiscent of the SXP -- and the additional recline spreads one's weight better across the seatback.  I didn't have any chipseal to test out, but should this weekend.  Vibration came through the handlebars more than on the SXP, but it's a different riser.

At stops, the seat height comes into play -- I could stay reclined, but had to extend a toe to reach the ground -- so people with an inseam less than 32" may have some ground reach issues...

I went to my neighborhood 8-10% grade hills, to intentionally try slow speed climbing
Looking downhill:

Looking uphill:

It's about 500 feet in length.  I put the bike in lowest gear (30 granny and 32 back), and proceeded to do the whole thing at 2.5 to 3 mph -- steering/handling was really no problem, certainly no more than one might expect going that slowly.  My pedaling pace was very similar to walking uphill.

At "regular" speeds, the bike feels very stable -- possibly even more "hands off" than the SXP, actually!

I then went UP the hill, holding 15 mph without significant problem -- so climbing hard still works nicely.  I then found my favorite slight downhill of about 1/4 mile, and cranked it up -- topped out at 30mph, and didn't notice any significant flexing of the frame or BB.  The handlebar riser is more solid than the chopper bars on the SXP, but that's no surprise -- so you can pull harder if needed.

I had a couple "close calls" with knee/handlebar interference on slow tight turns, while testing that specifically -- but I can see how you just get used to it.  On turns at regular speeds, there were no issues.

One other thing - the middle chainring is a 39T instead of a 42T -- this is a noticeably friendlier gear to use when starting from dead stop, yet cruising speeds of 18-20 mph can still easily be reached with the 39T.

I LIKE this bike....  Smiley   Wonder how fast PCF can get an angled riser in?

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2008, 10:34pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2008, 11:05am

OK, using it for work commuting today...   Smiley

It (obviously) fits on my Saris Guardian rack, and is much less "top heavy" than the SXP!

The view in the mirror...

Aerotrunk installed, at "8th hole" seat recline for commuting

With the seat recline up to the 8th hole (in "commuter" mode at about 55 degrees, with Aerotrunk on back), the handlebar reach is more natural.   And in reclined mode, I have to stretch out a toe to reach the ground at stops -- in commuter mode, I can "flatfoot" support.

More natural handlebar grip reach in this position

Flatfoot stop with this seat recline

Having fun with the bank teller -- "What is DAT you are riding????  Dat looks fun!"   Cheesy

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2008, 11:16am

I noticed a clicking noise coming from the grips area this morning, while riding...

Upon further investigation, it's got something to do with the brake caliper mechanism where the cable goes in, but I don't know if it's "fixable"

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2008, 1:20pm

I'm probably boring the hell out of most of you, but I find this increasingly fascinating...

Looking back at the pics of Barry's V26, I was reminded about the design of the frame -- so I cobbled together a comparison pic of the V3 (top) and V26 (bottom) frames.

Notice that the V26 frame centerline (bottom photo) is aligned relatively straight towards the rear axle point, similar in style to the Easy Racer "Javelin" concept.  It also had dual lower tubes, braced in "triangle" fashion vertically in two places along the run.

The V3 is more like the SXP, in it's triangular design -- and the seat / main tube DOES sit higher vs. the back wheel, due to the rise of the rear support tube.

Also, take a look at how they changed the BB position, ever so slightly (V3 on top):

It's an inch or two closer to the head tube, presumably for even more stiffness.

Kewl.
PB

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2008, 1:26pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2008, 6:52pm

Interesting. I was curious what the difference was between the V26 and V3.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2008, 9:23pm

I *love* the bank teller picture.  You should seriously send it into the recumbent blog.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2008, 9:37am

As you saw, I used the V3 for commuting purposes yesterday...  Had my Aerotrunk on the seatback, with the seat recline at about 55 degrees as mentioned previously, so the Trunk was fairly level -- there was plenty of rear wheel clearance, about 4 inches.

My route is mostly side streets, with a bit of sidewalk and concrete greenbelt trail mixed in.  I'd venture to say that I felt the sidewalk seam bumps a bit more than usual, but that's probably due to the 1" tires vs. the 1.25s I have on the SXP for commuting.  I've felt a subtle difference in balance on this bike, but nothing worrisome, and believe I could easily adapt to the higher BB position quickly.  Balance and handling were really not an issue at any time, and I'm a few inches higher than on the SXP, regarding eye level contact with drivers.  I could "flatfoot" my stops with the seat recline set here (8th hole).    I felt more bump transfer to the handlebars on this bike, but that's probably due to having the more flexible chopper bars on the SXP - but you can definitely pull harder on this riser, too.

From a component standpoint, I think I detect a difference in the SRAM X5 vs the X9 I'm used to -- I've had a few mis-shifts and slips under power, both front and rear, but I'm really not sure if it's due to component level or just slight adjustments need to be made to limit stops -- and I'm not planning to investigate any further, really.  I'm not a components geek...  Cheesy

The disc brakes have been trouble-free, with no rubbing, and excellent stopping power.  I could "lock 'em up" if I needed to... but I hope they can come up with a V-brake method -- you don't need discs in flat Texas...

No comments either way about the JetSet (Made in Taiwan) wheels, really -- and I had no spoke issues.  Just for fun, I weighed the front wheel on a 5-pound postal scale:  With wheel, 26.1 Racer tire, tube, and brake rotor, the complete front wheel weighed 3.4 pounds.  I didn't have my Velocity Thracian or DA-16 from the SXP to compare to...

The weather here sucks for the next few days, so I'm going to return the baby to the LBS, and say "thankyouverymuch!"  My overall impressions from two days and about 30 miles on the bike are that it's definitely a potential keeper, but, again, to take advantage of max recline, you need a different seat and an angled handlebar riser -- and if this is an XL frame, you will definitely need a regular frame if your X-seam is under 41-42...  

The quoted 33 pound weight is essentially the same as my XL SXP, so it ain't no thang...   and it fits either on a regular DF-style Saris Guardian rack, or inside the PT Cruiser with the passenger seat down.   For the price, it's nice!

Th-th-th-that's all, folks!

Enjoy,
Paul

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print