Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
RANS V3 test riding (Read 13311 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: RANS V3 test riding
Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2008, 10:21am

I gotta say though, and maybe I'm just a weight weenie, but I can't see there being enough significant difference between the two to warrant buying a new bike.   Not once in your posts did you say "holy crap - I'm blown away!"  In *my* mind therefore, you'd be outlaying cash for only a minor aero gain.  

When I traded the baron for the Tica for example, which are in many ways the same bikeI knew I'd get some aero advantage with the ability to recline the seat more, but I was sure the biggest difference would come from the 5 pound weight reduction, and I was right.  Blown away doesn't begin to describe it.  The difference was awesome and immediately noticeable.

So in my mind (warped as it may be!), given that you have two bikes of equal weight, you're not really getting anything on the deal.

You need to wait for the x-stream.  It's got to be around the 26 pound mark.  You'll be blown away my friend!  It's insane what taking 5 pounds off the bike does.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #16 - Mar 6th, 2008, 11:11am

Quote from aikigreg on Mar 6th, 2008, 10:21am:
I gotta say though, and maybe I'm just a weight weenie, but I can't see there being enough significant difference between the two to warrant buying a new bike. Not once in your posts did you say "holy crap - I'm blown away!" In *my* mind therefore, you'd be outlaying cash for only a minor aero gain.

When I traded the baron for the Tica for example, which are in many ways the same bikeI knew I'd get some aero advantage with the ability to recline the seat more, but I was sure the biggest difference would come from the 5 pound weight reduction, and I was right. Blown away doesn't begin to describe it. The difference was awesome and immediately noticeable.

So in my mind (warped as it may be!), given that you have two bikes of equal weight, you're not really getting anything on the deal.

You need to wait for the x-stream. It's got to be around the 26 pound mark. You'll be blown away my friend! It's insane what taking 5 pounds off the bike does.

Did you miss the fact that he's really just shopping for a bike for Terrie, either buying one so she can ride the XP when they both ride, or just buying her a bike? If he was just doing an upgrade, and getting rid of the XP, I don't think this would be the bike.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2008, 11:15am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Mar 6th, 2008, 11:50am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Mar 6th, 2008, 11:11am:

Did you miss the fact that he's really just shopping for a bike for Terrie, either buying one so she can ride the XP when they both ride, or just buying her a bike? If he was just doing an upgrade, and getting rid of the XP, I don't think this would be the bike.

Well, there's the obvious concept of upgrading MY ride, along those lines... Terrie can't/won't ride this bike.  But as stated earlier, I'm not currently in the market for a $3,000-ish self-upgrade that a 5+ pound lighter bike is going to cost...
which is why I looked at the V3.  I'm not even really in the market for a $2200ish Corsa...  but I'm interested in more recline. Transporting the SXP on the rack with the fairing is a bit of a pain, although I've been doing it for a couple years.  But there are definitely no plans to get rid of it!  

I'm not "blown away," but I'm definitely impressed by the handling...

Rick's made me a decent offer to build up another SXP with the frame he's got, and I'm considering THAT, as well.  (Or buy Charlie's!) Matching SXPs!   Grin   What to do, what to do....  undecided   But I appreciate the recommendation, Greg!!!

Anyway, I figured I'd do a review of the V3 while I had it, for future reference purposes for anyone interested.

PB

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2008, 11:51am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2008, 2:45pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Mar 6th, 2008, 11:11am:

(shortened it for ya, Greg -- PB)

No, but I remember her saying at the concert how adverse she was to higher BB bikes, so at this point, I assumed he had said to heck with her and was shopping for himself.  Grin

However, the idea that he might give his old bike to her and upgrade to this for himself, did escape me Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2008, 2:55pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2008, 2:54pm

Quote from aikigreg on Mar 6th, 2008, 2:45pm:
[ I assumed he had said to heck with her and was shopping for himself.  Grin

However, the idea that he might give his old bike to her and upgrade to this for himself, did escape me Smiley

I'm still a newlywed, Greg -- nowhere NEAR saying "to heck with her"   Grin   But you're right, the steel V3 wouldn't be so much of an "upgrade" as it would be an "addition" or "lateral move" ...   Cheesy

I've got some longer seat struts / flute tubes on order, to determine if we can get the seatback recline up enough for her comfort, since the seat will have to be about 5" further forward on the XL frame.  The current 6" long flute tube last hole position isn't enough, but the "standard" tube is 9" and may do the job.

Her birfday is May 10th...   Wink

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2008, 2:57pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Bud_Bent

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2008, 6:19pm

Since it appears you are going to remain a lwb kind of guy, have you considered hitches for both vehicles, and a Draftmaster rack?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2008, 8:17pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Mar 6th, 2008, 6:19pm:
Since it appears you are going to remain a lwb kind of guy, have you considered hitches for both vehicles, and a Draftmaster rack?

Not really, simply again because of the $$$$$$....  Probably, eventually...  although that would be quite a sight on a Prius!!!   Cheesy

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #22 - Jun 28th, 2008, 6:12pm

PCF has the aluminum version of the V3 on the floor, as of 6/28.  It's VERY light, I could take it off the rack with one hand.

It must have just gone up, because it didn't even have pedals on it.  Greg offered to, and I said, "You bet!"  So I got to do a brief test ride (before our RANS trip, ironically enough).  But I didn't take any photos...   Sad

One negative, IMHO -- it has the "Zephyr" seat, with a very thin seatpad and carbon fibre seat pan.  This is a very light seat, but for MY rear end and lower back, it is NOT comfortable...  

It's got the classic "lip" on the back of the seatpan -- which on this particular seat, REALLY digs into my tailbone.  I'm definitely gonna ask Randy about this on Monday....  Smiley

This bike has the angled riser to bring the grips back further, and for my ~41" XSeam, the seat setting was about 1" from the furthest back position.  I rode it around the lot with the "medium" seatback recline, then laid it significantly further back, and rode up and down the street some.  This seatback is curved somewhat like the "M5" design, and I immediately noticed that when cranking on the pedals hard, you get support for your upper back and shoulders in response -- compared to the "standard" SXP seat, where your push support is more lower-back related.  If I recline too much with that one, I slide up the seatback -- you don't get that with the Zephyr.

With the seatback reclined like this, the seatpan was even LESS comfortable, and I could just reach the handlebars enough.  However, with the thinner seatpad, I was also able to reach the ground much easier than on the steel version -- which may have also been a difference in relative seatrail position (near the front vs. near the back).

But this bike will MOVE...  and with a different style seat, would be sweet...  It's VERY responsive, although the front end felt a little light to me - but I had just done 64 miles on the SXP...  The ride was sorta stiff, but that's to be expected from an aluminum frame.  The main tube is 2" diameter.

[The paint job is BEAUTIFUL -- silver and red metal flake...]

I encourage folks to go check it out....  and if nothing else give some feedback on the Zephyr seat concept.  This is a bike to lay back and FLY on....

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2008, 10:12am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Bud_Bent

Reply #23 - Jun 28th, 2008, 7:02pm

Wow, sounds like a cool bike. I've never gotten to try out a Zephyr seat. Do you suppose that's the same seat pan as the regular RANS seats have? That lip in the back is what doesn't want to work for me on my RANS seat. I had never noticed it on Rose's Stratus, but her seat is much more upright than mine on my SXP, and when you recline the seat more, that's when the lip tends to become a problem for some of us. And if it's a problem, the thin seat cover makes it worse. I've just put a thin seat cover up for trade in the Marketplace forum.

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2008, 7:03pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #24 - Jun 28th, 2008, 10:00pm

I'm certain Randy will have a solution for you - even if it's just "Lose some weight!"   Tongue

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #25 - Jun 29th, 2008, 6:59am

PCF ordered this bike for me to test.  They called me on Thursday and I went up there on Friday.  Greg offered for me to take it home, however, because of my work schedule I declined.

I rode the V3 for about an hour.  I DO NOT like the Z seat.  It dug into my shoulders.  I loved everything else about the bike, the ride feel, the lightness, the paint...  

I would definately order this bike with the M5 carbon, and no additional cost.  I was amazed at how light the bike is, and also how quickly I was able to get it up to a brisk pace. I calle

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #26 - Jun 29th, 2008, 2:45pm

Paul,

I have the old zephyr seat on my  home made. The lip on the back is painful on a long ride. Just take the old dremel and cut the lip off as much as you like. I also added a 2" piece of webbing at the base of the seat across the back to prevent my butt from pushing so far back into the back. That's part of what makes the lip uncomfy. The back will stretch and let you sink into it. I also stuck an additional 1/2 inch of foam in the well area. I rode it about 10 miles on father's day and did not even notice the seat.

RichardC

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #27 - Jul 1st, 2008, 10:11am

One of the great things about the trip to the RANS factory was that we got to sit on basically every seat style they have...  and it turns out that the Zephyr on the V3 at Plano doesn't have the pad on right -- with the Zephyrs we sat on up there, I did not have any "rear pan ridge" issues whatsoever (and unlike Steve's "sit bones" comment below, the seat cushion area itself felt fine to me).  The mesh should come down all the way to the seatpad, with essentially no gap, solving the problem.  However, the rails going up the sides of the back DID hit me in the shoulder blades, and in the kidney area, sorta...  which didn't really come into play until about 15 minutes or so of riding -- and I could feel it flex when I pushed hard to accelerate -- so that's definitely not the seat for ME...

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2008, 1:13pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #28 - Jul 1st, 2008, 11:06am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 1st, 2008, 10:11am:
One of the great things about the trip to the RANS factory was that we got to sit on basically every seat style they have... and it turns out that the Zephyr on the V3 at Plano doesn't have the pad on right -- the Zephyrs we sat on up there, I did not have any "rear pan ridge" issues whatsoever. The mesh should come down all the way to the seatpad, with essentially no gap, solving the problem. However, the rails going up the sides of the back DID hit me in the shoulder blades, and in the kidney area, sorta... which didn't really come into mind until about 15 minutes or so of riding -- but that's definitely not the seat for ME...

I agree 100%. I test rode a F-5 with the Zephyr seat,& I had to stop just over a mile into the test ride because the seat was so uncomfortable for me. I cannot imagine completing a rando event/club ride on this seat. It appeared to me that the seat had very little padding. My "sit bones" were screaming-"get off this seat".

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #29 - Jul 5th, 2008, 10:17pm

ONe thing occured to me today, about the V3, is that the Ti version I rode in KS did NOT have disc brakes.  The steel version comes with disc brakes, whereas the Al and Ti versions apparently both have V-brakes...  I didn't think they could put V-brakes on it due to the BB closeness to the head tube, but I guess I was wrong!

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print