Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 2:32am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ray, the wait is over! (Read 619 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Ray, the wait is over!
Feb 9th, 2008, 8:49pm

And while my news was going to be that I had bought a Ti-Aero so that I could be just like you, thanks to GoldRushDave, I've now sold the Ti and will be getting the carbon as soon as humanly possible.  Hopefully I'll be cleared by the doc to ride next weekend, so next Saturday (or Sunday, more likely) will be the inaugural ride!

So add one more bacchetta to the DFW ranks.  I really neded something to soak up road buzz if I was going to continue to rando, which I really want to. Can't wait to be back with you guys.  I've lost so much muscle and have gained 15 pounds, but I 've really missed y'all!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Re: Ray, the wait is over!
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2008, 7:59pm

Greg - as soon as I saw PSP (Peggy Steve Paul) yesterday, the first question after asking about your and Bud's health was... What's Greg's secret.

I'd love to ride and experience the difference between my Ti Aero and the carbon Aero.  

Do you know anything about the new M5 medium-racer?  
http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/site/EN/
I'm probably going to sell my DF (Ti) Seven and purchase another bent.  I'd like to get a carbon bike, and that new M5 looks awesome.  Since you have the low racer, why did you opt for the Bacchetta carbon v.s. the M5 (either the new medium racer, or their high racer)?  I don't know much about recumbents, so your advice is very much appreciated.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2008, 9:58pm

In general I'm just not a big fan of mid-racers unless it's going to be your only bike.  Are you going to keep the bacchetta?  if so, then why get something that just a little lighter but still pays an aero penalty by comparison to a lowracer?  

That's why i have the lowracer and the highracer.  I have the best of both extremes that way.  

What will your purpose be for the new bike?  That would go a long way towards giving you  a better opinion.  I have ridden the M5 highracer - which is MUCh lower than a bachetta (think lowracer propped up on two wheels) raced it and also had it out for a solid 40 miles of trails.  In spite of the bike being a mere 17 lbs, I was totally dominated by most of the lowracers at the xenia races.  In a half hour race I was about a mile and a half behind the leader (Dennis Grelk) and 2/3 of a mile behind the two guys who finished ahead of me.  This is on a flat closed course.  Had it been a rolling course with elevation the lightweight might tell a somewhat different story.  

The end result for me was that I know speed-wise, the lowracer is king.  The highracer was a comfy bike though, with the dual 700cc wheels, and had tiller steering which I like and think I prefer over open cockpit. The M5 wasn't a consideration when I went to buy a highracer because 1) John Sclitter, the Petty's, and of course Bud just impress the hell out of me, and 2)  it would have been much more expensive and taken a while to make to my specs.  It is a VERY comfortable bike though.

Their midracer is basically the same as the high, with a different wheel combo.  Why were you thinking about getting it?

Quote from bikerteam on Feb 10th, 2008, 7:59pm:
Greg - as soon as I saw PSP (Peggy Steve Paul) yesterday, the first question after asking about your and Bud's health was... What's Greg's secret.

I'd love to ride and experience the difference between my Ti Aero and the carbon Aero.  

Do you know anything about the new M5 medium-racer?
http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/site/EN/
I'm probably going to sell my DF (Ti) Seven and purchase another bent.  I'd like to get a carbon bike, and that new M5 looks awesome.  Since you have the low racer, why did you opt for the Bacchetta carbon v.s. the M5 (either the new medium racer, or their high racer)?  I don't know much about recumbents, so your advice is very much appreciated.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2008, 1:29pm

Greg - I appreciate your candid answers, and follow-up questions. I have no desire to get rid of my bacchetta.  My primary purpose would be the desire for the fastest, most aero bike, relative to "per watt of power output".  Are there any documented, quantitative comparisons between a high racer and low racer

My family also has asked me very nicely to connsider cutting back slightly on the Rando/racing schedule and spend more time doing family/pay rides.  This is why I looked at the Catrike 700, as a fun, yet still relatively fast bike. I can't stand it when I'm riding with Angie around 14-15mph and the "pretty boys" come flying by and make some type of unpleasant comment.  Angie looks over at me and says "go get em", and I chase them down and ask in a nice, yet sarcastic tone "can I pull you guys a while"?  Sorry for that digression.  It's a persnality flaw I'm told...

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2008, 9:54pm

And one we share.  Grin    But you're highly unlikely to catch a real swift paceline with a trike, although the 700 would be the fastest option in that regard and highly disconcert the roadies Smiley
  regardless, I think the trike would be the most fun you could have while on the family rides.  Spent much time on one?  For sher fun factor they can't be beat.  Pedal powered go-karts.  

I don't think you'd enjoy the slow-speed handling of a real go-fast bike though. at 14mph.  With the lowracer, that's coasting 70% of the time and it gets old fast.  

So my vote is for the trike, man!  

Oh, and yes, I've seen roll-down tests with low v. high, but I can tell you that no highracer has ever won any race I've ever seen where the two are competing, and I've been on both sides of that one!

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2008, 9:55pm by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2008, 3:34pm

Quote from bikerteam on Feb 11th, 2008, 1:29pm:

My family also has asked me very nicely to connsider cutting back slightly on the Rando/racing schedule and spend more time doing family/pay rides.  This is why I looked at the Catrike 700, as a fun, yet still relatively fast bike. I can't stand it when I'm riding with Angie around 14-15mph and the "pretty boys" come flying by and make some type of unpleasant comment.  Angie looks over at me and says "go get em", and I chase them down and ask in a nice, yet sarcastic tone "can I pull you guys a while"?  Sorry for that digression.  It's a persnality flaw I'm told...

Being more family-inclusive can only be a good thing in the long view...  Keep in mind that the Catrike seat is not adjustable, vs. the Wizwheels brand.  But, hey, I could get the Catrike Road up to 25 mph, I'm sure you could, too...  But it's probably better to get yourself into a mindset of "let 'em go" when you're doing casual cruising, and simply be confident in your innate ability to kick their butts...    

And the personality flaw rests with those who would make an unpleasant comment to you... not with you...   Wink

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2008, 3:35pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print