Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 10th, 2024, 1:26am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gregs Tica Thumb Brakes (Read 2269 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Gregs Tica Thumb Brakes
Feb 7th, 2008, 2:26pm

So Many Many questions!

Mr Greg  

How do you like the M5 Thumb Brakes on your Tica?
OK stoping power?  Gets in the way of shifting?    
Would a trigger shifter (Right side, for rear) fit&work with the M5 thumb brakes?  Remember Im running a twisty for the front and a trigger for the rear.
I have an oppurtunity to purchase a used Velokraft V2 tiller.  You once used this tiller on your former Baron.  DO you think the M5 Thumb brakes would fit OK on the VK Tiller?

THNAKS!

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2008, 3:28pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Gregs Tica Thumb Brakes
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2008, 9:45pm

Get the tiller for sure - it's got a much lower angle and you will have a nicer view.  I think you'd be wasting your money with the brake levers, unless you also plan to get a set of the bram's brakes, or something with serious stopping power.   You can't put nearly as much force on the levers with your thumbs as you can a regular lever.

If you want to spend bling on brakes for the baron, I'd get a set of avid ti or some nice carbon maguras or something.

I still want you to measure that carbon tiller for me so I can see if one will work on the tica!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2008, 2:47am

Greg thanks for your advice.  Do you think I could fit a trigger shifter on the right (for the rear) with the thumb brakes?

Quote from aikigreg on Feb 7th, 2008, 9:45pm:
Get the tiller for sure - it's got a much lower angle and you will have a nicer view.  I think you'd be wasting your money with the brake levers, unless you also plan to get a set of the bram's brakes, or something with serious stopping power.   You can't put nearly as much force on the levers with your thumbs as you can a regular lever.

If you want to spend bling on brakes for the baron, I'd get a set of avid ti or some nice carbon maguras or something.

I still want you to measure that carbon tiller for me so I can see if one will work on the tica!

Greg I think you ment to say "Measure your Carbon Boom".  I hope to use it, but if its too short I will let you know.

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2008, 2:55am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2008, 3:10am

Yes, measure your boom please.  I can buy one from velokraft myself if I know it will fit!

And the vk2 tiller will have no problem allowing trigger shifters.  I used sram x.7' triggers on my baron with no problem.  

Quote from MrOverdressed on Feb 10th, 2008, 2:47am:
Greg thanks for your advice.  Do you think I could fit a trigger shifter on the right (for the rear) with the thumb brakes?

Quote from aikigreg on Feb 7th, 2008, 9:45pm:

Greg I think you ment to say "Measure your Carbon Boom".  I hope to use it, but if its too short I will let you know.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2008, 5:19am

BUT do you think the tiggers will fit with the thumb brakes?  Or do the thumb brakes require twisty grip shifters?

FYI  my carbon boom was shortened.  But it does have the standard tube width.

Quote from aikigreg on Feb 10th, 2008, 3:10am:
Yes, measure your boom please.  I can buy one from velokraft myself if I know it will fit!

And the vk2 tiller will have no problem allowing trigger shifters.  I used sram x.7' triggers on my baron with no problem.  

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2008, 6:11am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2008, 12:23pm

The width is what I need - diameter of the tube.  

The answer is, I dunno.  The brakes will take about 3 inches of width, the shifters about 4 each, and then your hands need to fit as well of course.  So I think it likely, but a tight squeeze.

But let me stress again that I don't recommend these brake levers unless you're got a phenomenal set of calipers to back them up.  You just don't get the same leverage.

Quote from MrOverdressed on Feb 10th, 2008, 5:19am:
BUT do you think the tiggers will fit with the thumb brakes?  Or do the thumb brakes require twisty grip shifters?

FYI  my carbon boom was shortened.  But it does have the standard tube width.

Quote from aikigreg on Feb 10th, 2008, 3:10am:

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print