Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 6:12pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sheldon Brown Memorial ride 04/01 White Rock Lake (Read 2954 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Sheldon Brown Memorial ride 04/01 White Rock L
Reply #15 - Mar 29th, 2008, 12:06am

I may not be able to make the ride I'm supposed to be leading. I got some kind of bug/allergy Saturday and the furthest I have been out of bed was to stagger to the mailbox before the ID thieves could get there. Other than that I have had my butt planted firmly in bed, or back and forth between the computer and the bed, so I could write my bike safety blog on MySpace. Last time I checked I was runnin a 102F temperature, and I had my first shower in a week with the assistance of my wife this afternoon.

I can't breathe or even stand up unassisted more than about 5 minutes. and as soon as I post this message i'm going back to bed.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2008, 10:16am

Sad Bummer Opus, sure hope the fever breaks and you get better ASAP.
Hope your able to regroup by ride time, sometimes these bugs go as quickly as they pop up. The fever could be a good sign that your body is in full warefare against the invading whords of nasties.  
If I ride, I will land at the E.Lawther Bus Stop, so I won't have to worry about parking. I would most likely ride the DF Dawes Lightning Tour because I haven't toted a bike onto a bus / train ever and I'm trying to build up the courage to give it a shot.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Mar 30th, 2008, 3:06pm

The Tango should be short enough to put on the bus, Joe...   Admittedly, I haven't tried the SXP on public transportation yet...   Wink

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Mar 30th, 2008, 4:53pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 30th, 2008, 3:06pm:
The Tango should be short enough to put on the bus, Joe... Admittedly, I haven't tried the SXP on public transportation yet... Wink

The Tango has a bobo , it has blown over in the wind on the DERAILLEUR  several times recently plus the time in Grapevine when I caught a high concrete lip turning (attempting to any way ) into a store parking lot off Hwy 26. The result has been the long guide has become way bent causing the gears to not work correctly at the top end (chain went behind the 32T inspite of the correct setup on the stop. If I can fix that, I'll look into toting the Tango even though the Dawes is a WHOLE lot lighter.  Smiley

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Mar 31st, 2008, 11:19pm

Well I won't be able to ride if I go, Doc says I had my springtime bout of Allergic bronchitis a little late this year. Still running a slight fever, still hurts to breath heavy. It hurts even more to miss the ride...

Email WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Apr 1st, 2008, 8:35am

Quote from jman on Mar 30th, 2008, 4:53pm:
Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 30th, 2008, 3:06pm:
The Tango should be short enough to put on the bus, Joe... Admittedly, I haven't tried the SXP on public transportation yet... Wink

The Tango has a bobo , it has blown over in the wind on the DERAILLEUR several times recently plus the time in Grapevine when I caught a high concrete lip turning (attempting to any way ) into a store parking lot off Hwy 26. The result has been the long guide has become way bent causing the gears to not work correctly at the top end (chain went behind the 32T inspite of the correct setup on the stop. If I can fix that, I'll look into toting the Tango even though the Dawes is a WHOLE lot lighter. Smiley

Good news/bad news--After consulting with "The Bike Doc" (aka Eddie ) and reading through one of his many volumes of bike wisdom, I removed the derailleur and used a large crescent wrench to pull the "non-replaceable" hangar as close to true again as possible considering lack of proper tools or previous repair experience  Smiley. The hangar section is not what you call "beefy" and after several times of landing on the derailleur for different reasons including learning curve lay over  embarrassed was not only bent in about 1mm, it was bent inward on the back portion 1mm. I was successful in getting it straightened up close enough to where it is shifting ok with a little tweeking  Cheesy I just have to watch out when parking to put the bike in a position where it won't be inclinde to role over on the derailleur again.  
Happy days are here again except it looks like gloomy windy weather could mess up plans to ride at White Rock for me tonight.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #21 - Apr 1st, 2008, 9:04am

Opus, I'm not going to have the opportunity to get the EZ1 to you today, my apologies.  It sounds like the SBM ride is a bust this year...   Sad

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2008, 12:25pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 1st, 2008, 9:04am:
Opus, I'm not going to have the opportunity to get the EZ1 to you today, my apologies.  It sounds like the SBM ride is a bust this year...   Sad

I'm sorry to here this.  

I'm taking off work early to be at the Boat House by 6.   We still plan on riding the trikes around the lake.  We find the trikes are much less affected by the wind than by the hills and I don't see rain in the forcast.  We will ride in a clockwise direction (unless overruled by a majority).  We ride slowly, so others will be able to catch up.  Our fastest loop around White Rock so far was Sunday evening and averaged 8.1mph.  

We hope to see some other bents there.

Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:10am

Did anyone make it to the boathouse parking lot tonight? I spent the time today cooking beans and rice for dinner tonight, and then coughing up a couple of lungs full of junk after dinner. Looked like a pretty night on the weather report.

Email WWW   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #24 - Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:37pm

Quote from Opus the Poet on Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:10am:
Did anyone make it to the boathouse parking lot tonight? I spent the time today cooking beans and rice for dinner tonight, and then coughing up a couple of lungs full of junk after dinner. Looked like a pretty night on the weather report.

Opus,
I am very sorry to hear you still are not feeling well.

Yes, Vicky and I were there.  Unfortunately we didn't see anyone else on a recumbent.  We rode around the lake. It was a great ride.  The weather was perfect.  Made our best time yet, averaged 8.4mph.

This is the first time we have parked at the boathouse.  We normally park at the bath house on the east side of the lake.  I like the bath house better because it has more parking and is less crowded.

Maybe we can reschedule the SBM ride.

Richard

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print