Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:47am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2008 The Texas Time Trials (Read 1271 times)
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

2008 The Texas Time Trials
Jan 28th, 2008, 12:30pm

Peggy Petty, Nelson Ralls and myself are seeking a 4th recumbent rider to join us in the Team 500 mile, 2008 TTTT.  I don't believe a date has been announced, though it is normally betweeen mid September and mid October.

http://www.tt24tt.com/

The goal is to break the 4 person, mixed team 500 mile record, which is 31 hours.

If each rider alternates laps, you would ride for approximately 1 hour, then rest for 3 hours before your next lap.  

THE BEST PART.... EVERY PERSON IN THE 500 MILE EVENT RECEIVES A REAL NICE TROPHY, REGARDLESS OF TEAM PLACING.

If you are interested, please either respond to this post, send me a private e-mail (bikerteam@msn.com), or give me a call (817-975-8638).  We should plan on solidifying the team by May, no later than June, so training can begin.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 2008 The Texas Time Trials
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2008, 4:59am

I would like to try out for the team.  I volunteered to be a time keeper last year and had a blast.  Its been my master plan to get into better shape this year.  And this event will give me some focus.  Im upgrading my baron with carbon parts.  I bought a Kurt Kenetic trainer and Im shopping for a Heart Rate Monitor.    Will Peggy remove her kick-stand this year?   Grin  Kaleen said that she is scopeing out a new route as the historic route is has too much traffic.

Terry

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2008, 5:10am by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2008, 10:40pm

Dude, it's JANUARY...   You don't need to find a fourth until at LEAST mid-August...   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2008, 9:45pm

Terry - a great way to get in shape and to build base miles is to join our Lone Star Randonneur club, and start putting in endurance miles.  And in between endurance training, build a progressive overload training plan (ie, in 4 week intervals) where you are riding at least 1, and preferably 2 days a week at threshold.  Meaning, after warming up, ride 5 minutes at max heart rate, recover 5 minutes, and repeat.  The following week, increase to 7 or 8 minutes.  The third week, increase to 10 minutes, and decrease recovery to 3 minutes. The 4th week is a recovery week of straigh endurance training (ie, zone 2).  

Then the next succession of 4 weeks of interval training, work on climbing.  This is to build strength, and ultimately to increase your "strength to weight ratio".  Each week is harder and longer effort.

The next succession of 4 weeks of interval training could be working on sprinting.  High cadence (at least 110) for intervals of 3-5 minutes, extending this time over the next 3 weeks.  This training increases your body's ability to work at a higher cardio capacity, and to recovery more quickly.  

The above is an example of a 3 month basic training program that will (1) increase endurance base, (2) increase strength, and (3) increase your cardio capacity.

AND ABOVE ALL, REMEMBER TRAINING IS ABOUT HAVING FUN, DOING WHAT YOU LOVE...

FREQUENCY  Smiley
DURATION  Tongue
INTENSITY   undecided

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2008, 10:10pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 29th, 2008, 10:40pm:
Dude, it's JANUARY... You don't need to find a fourth until at LEAST mid-August... Cheesy

Paul...do you mean like our team did last year?

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 5:48pm

I need some sort of machine that I can connect upto while sleeping at night.  I would wake up in the morning having done a centry while asleep!

Quote from bikerteam on Jan 30th, 2008, 9:45pm:
Terry - a great way to get in shape and to build base miles is to join our Lone Star Randonneur club, and start putting in endurance miles.  And in between endurance training, build a progressive overload training plan (ie, in 4 week intervals) where you are riding at least 1, and preferably 2 days a week at threshold.  Meaning, after warming up, ride 5 minutes at max heart rate, recover 5 minutes, and repeat.  The following week, increase to 7 or 8 minutes.  The third week, increase to 10 minutes, and decrease recovery to 3 minutes. The 4th week is a recovery week of straigh endurance training (ie, zone 2).  

Then the next succession of 4 weeks of interval training, work on climbing.  This is to build strength, and ultimately to increase your "strength to weight ratio".  Each week is harder and longer effort.

The next succession of 4 weeks of interval training could be working on sprinting.  High cadence (at least 110) for intervals of 3-5 minutes, extending this time over the next 3 weeks.  This training increases your body's ability to work at a higher cardio capacity, and to recovery more quickly.

The above is an example of a 3 month basic training program that will (1) increase endurance base, (2) increase strength, and (3) increase your cardio capacity.

AND ABOVE ALL, REMEMBER TRAINING IS ABOUT HAVING FUN, DOING WHAT YOU LOVE...

FREQUENCY  Smiley
DURATION  Tongue
INTENSITY   undecided

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:21am

Terry that's called a hypobaric chamber, or altitude tent, effectively reduces the oxygen content of the air until you have the same Partial Pressure O2 as you would at 10-15,000 feet altitude.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2008, 7:30pm

Opus would sleeping overnight a well fueled Lear Jet do the Job?    I could have a midnight snack in Paris! And be back to work the next morning.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2008, 12:23am

I think the hypobaric chamber would be cheaper Tongue Last I checked the cheap tents were under $1000, where an hour in a LearJet was about $500 so you could buy the tent for 1/4 of a night in a LearJet.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print