Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 15th, 2024, 9:29am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heart Rate Monitor (Read 1152 times)
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Heart Rate Monitor
Jan 24th, 2008, 7:18am

What Heart Rate Monitor are you folks using?

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Heart Rate Monitor
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2008, 1:21pm

I'm using the one that's part of my Garmin Edge 305 gps. All my heart rate data gets uploaded to my computer along with all the gps data. Cool stuff.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2008, 7:46pm

Polar F-11.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2008, 1:06pm

I am using the Sigma 3.
It is cheap with no extras
Johns

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2008, 5:18pm

Whatever the cheapest Polar at Academy was.  It's OK, only stores average HR.  Just bought Sports Instruments Pro 9 at performance Bike (reg $120 on sale for $50), but haven't started using it yet so can't tell you much about it.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2008, 7:55pm

Bud is there a screen on the Edge 305 that shows both cadence plus heart rate at the same time?

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2008, 11:01pm

Quote from MrOverdressed on Jan 26th, 2008, 7:55pm:
Bud is there a screen on the Edge 305 that shows both cadence plus heart rate at the same time?

Yes. On the 305, you can choose from a long list, which functions to display, and how many of them to display. The more you choose, the smaller they show. If you choose an odd number of functions to display, all but one will be paired side by side, and the remaining one will be on a line by itself, bigger than the rest. I make that one cadence. I don't display speed at all on the 305, choosing to display it on the computer that is also on my bike, instead.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2008, 1:21am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jan 26th, 2008, 11:01pm:
Quote from MrOverdressed on Jan 26th, 2008, 7:55pm:

Yes. On the 305, you can choose from a long list, which functions to display, and how many of them to display. The more you choose, the smaller they show. If you choose an odd number of functions to display, all but one will be paired side by side, and the remaining one will be on a line by itself, bigger than the rest. I make that one cadence. I don't display speed at all on the 305, choosing to display it on the computer that is also on my bike, instead.

This Edge 305 sounds really good to me. I currently have a plant bike computer that I like to keep on the screen with the temperature showing.  I wonder if the forerunner is the same way and would be able to show the cadence and the heart rate on one screen too.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2008, 6:34pm

I use the stopwatch function of my computer and a finger on my carotid Roll Eyes I kinda have to pull over and stop, just because the stowatch function requires pushing 2 buttons at the same time.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2008, 5:18am

The forerunner 305 can show a max of 4 data items on the screen while the edge looks like it can have 6 or 8 data items on the screen.    I dont run at all, but I can wear the forrunner on my wrist and twist it so I can see it.  While Im not certain where I would mount the edge on my barron.

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2008, 12:13pm

I would be interested in knowing what physical effects some of you experience when you get to that last 1 percent of exhertion. My muscles usually blow first then if I keep on grinding I will start to get increasingly light headed. Almost passed out a couple times but I have never hurled.

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2008, 2:49pm

When you say "but I have never hurled" are you talking about Chucking up?  Power Booting? Or just an ole Fashon puke?

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2008, 5:52pm

Yes that.  Wink Good old fashion chunk blow as a result of approaching the end of your cardio vascular output.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2008, 9:32pm

Hi Terry,

Should have responded earlier.  When I still used a heart rate monitor I had a Polar RS200.  A very nice unit that I found pretty useful.  But I've since pretty much given up on the things.  I've found the best thing I've ever done for my riding was to ride a lot, no matter what the speed.  As a matter of fact working too hard is counter productive, and I found myself starting to use my Heart Rate Monitor to make sure I didn't work too hard, and now I have internalized the laziness so I guess I no longer need it.  But by keeping the stress level low I don't seem to get sick or break down and can handle much larger volumes of "training".  Dr. Phil Maffetone is the advocate of this approach, and I wouldn't have put much stock in it, but I started following his methods, and I got to where I could run a marathon every other weekend.  Granted they weren't fast, but I derived much more satisfaction out of being able to go out and run a 5 hour marathon and feel great afterwards than hurting after a sub 4.  I approach my cycling the same way.  The events I do now are even longer, and lend themselves to the endurance aspect pretty well.  I'm certainly slower than I was in my racing heydays, but I am 25 years older and in tremendously better shape, and capable of endurance I never dreamed of in my 20's.  
So while structured training can be great, I'm now a big advocate of the junk mile approach.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print