Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 2:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Texas Hell Week, Mar 15-22 (Read 3431 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Texas Hell Week, Mar 15-22
Jan 13th, 2008, 10:09pm

For some insane reason, I'm thinking about heading to Fredericksburg in March, to do some climbing...   Anybody interested in potentially joining me???  My business partner has a simple weekend house about 5 miles outside of Fredericksburg, where perhaps a half dozen or so could possibly stay, so hotel cost would not come into play...  It would be interesting to ride this together as a small 'bent group, amongst all the roadies.

I'm looking at going down on Friday the 14th, and riding Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, returning Tuesday.

http://hellweek.com/texas.html

For more detailed info:

http://hellweek.com/texasinfo.html

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Texas Hell Week, Mar 15-22
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2008, 11:31pm

I've wanted to do this one for a while, but I doubt I'll be recovered in time.  I'll look at it as my comeback ride if I can though!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2008, 9:15am

Greg, I'm going to Hell Week.  I've been going every year, for years.  I know all the routes real well, if you or anyone else has any questions.  The "Leakey Death Ride" is a "must ride".   I usually bring my bent and and least one of my DF's.

For those of you who haven't experienced Hell Week, it's an awesome experience.  I've met some great people from all over the country, and have kept in contact with several of them over the years.  As a matter of fact, I owe my conversion to recumbents to an eye doctor from Bushnell IL that I met in Hell Week 2003.  He races all forms of bents.

I stay at the same B&B every year too.  It's a fully equipped house, a short bike ride from the start every day.  Dennis Cook,  one my close Rando buddies will be sharing the house with me this year.  I'll be there the entire 8 days, including the 200k and 300k Brevets.

Nelson - please consider joining us.  There is room in the house for you, Dennis and I.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2008, 9:17am

Oops - sorry Paul.  I thought I typed your name next to Greg's in my post above.  Anyway, I hope to see you there.  I am registered for the event.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2008, 10:06am

Im thinking about this.  Its sounds like much fun.  What is the cut off date to decide?

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2008, 10:23am

The house I am trying to arrange is about 5 miles northwest of town on 87, on Old Mason Road...  So I'll probably ride from there to the ride starts each day...

Paul

bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2008, 7:53pm

Paul (et. all) - riding sure sounds good right now.  I spent 4 hours driving the NJ and PA turnpike in rain/sleet to go approx 80 miles.  I missed one turn and had to drive almost 20 miles in one direction before the next exit.  Yuck, yucko, yuckooo.  

If you, or anone else that decides to ride in Hell Week, which I can't recommend more highly, please let me know if you have any questions.  Each day there are at least three rides, which vary in distance from approximately 20-30, 50-60, and 70-100 miles.  A few days there are rides in excess of 100 miles, including a 200k, and 300k Brevet.  All this can be found on the Hell Week web site.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2008, 10:58pm

Given the fact that I've got a "free" place to stay, I'm not going to be registering in advance for Hell Week...   They cut off online or mail-ins about 2 weeks beforehand.  If the weather is dry, I'll be going -- if it's crappy, I'm not.  If anyone else is interested in staying with me outside of F'burg, I can handle another 3 or four.   Pettys, you up for some climbing?  Cheesy  Ken?

As of now, I'm not sure what distances I'm riding Sat and Sun, but am planning on the 200K on Monday.

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2008, 11:16pm

Don't count me out yet!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2008, 7:13am

The Hell Week 200k leaves from Fredericksburg (as all rides do), and heads down towards Leakey and back.  By Texas standards, it WILL be the most challenging and scenic 200k you ride.  As a matter of fact, 95% of the Hell Week rides are awesome.  If the weather is warm, the wild flowers bloom in the Hill country weeks before they do here.  So, if it is warm, all Hell Week'ers will be greeted with great weather and wild flowers  Smiley

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2008, 1:54pm

Quote from bikerteam on Jan 30th, 2008, 7:13am:
 So, if it is warm, all Hell Week'ers will be greeted with great weather and wild flowers  Smiley

Now if they could just do something about the "Bloomin' " hills....   Roll Eyes

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2008, 3:44pm

Bumping thread -- I've got no takers for house accomodations as of yet.

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2008, 9:01pm

Is it possible to come down for just a day or two of this?  that's right on the line of whne I might be able to wear clipless again.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2008, 9:44pm

I'm only going down for three days of riding, myself -- Sat, Sun, and the Monday 200K.  You can do a little, or you can do a lot, whatever....

bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2008, 5:54am

There is a single entry fee, and you can stay one day, or all eight days (which I am).

This year Nick (Director) has several different packages (in case you don't want a t-shirt, sweat shirt, etc).  All packets come with a complete set of cue sheets and maps, probably 40-50 routes.  That's worth the price of admission as you can take your own vacation to Fredericksburg and experience this awesome routes.  

I'll arrive sometime around noon on Friday.  Dennis is going to share a B&B with me.  We also are going to ride the 200k on Monday.  

Anyone else besides Paul and possibly Greg plan on attending?  I can't recommend this more highly.  If you don't go, remember these words... After the event, you'll read rbent posts of how awesome it was and how great the riding is.....  

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print