Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:21pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
100K 1/05/08 (Read 1652 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

100K 1/05/08
Jan 5th, 2008, 4:12pm

Went over to Flower Mound to test ride Ray's new 100K.  Very nice route, it circles Lake Grapvine clockwise passing the Texas Motor Speedway and heading up to Justin before heading back to the Hilltop area, and back down the North\East side of the lake.  Very fancy neighborhoods around Westlake.  I look forward to seeing it show up on the RUSA permanent site soon.

Next Saturday we will be test riding my new 150K rough rode route, provided it stays dry.  I'll post a notice in the upcoming rides with links as soon as I get it finalized.  Today was sure nice and warm, and despite the wind a beautiful day.   Have fun in Celina tomorrow!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Re: 100K 1/05/08
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2008, 6:55pm

Is there a map floating around with this route?  I was in Westlake this afternoon getting in about 40 miles.  It's pretty much the north end of my typical rides leaving out of Keller.  I've often thought about riding around Lake Grapevine from my house, just not sure what a good route would be.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2008, 10:15pm

Hi Robert,

I don't think Ray has made it public on bikely yet.  But I expect him to soon, I'll email him for the link.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2008, 7:44am

I just drew the latest, and hopeful final version of this route.  While it's not yet public, here's the bikely link to the route, which came out to 102k:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/95972

Nelson - I added about a mile or so to ensure it came out to at least 100k.  Thanks again for coming out to Flower Mound to rest ride it with me.  An absolutely wonderful, though slightly windy day.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2008, 12:30am

Looks like a fun ride, and goes right by my house.  Is it legal to ride on 114?

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2008, 10:45am

Ray,

For all those that might be interested, this route is less than 10 miles from Bush & I35. That means relatively easy access for many in the group, including me. Very interesting.  

Richard

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2008, 3:15pm

Yes, this part of highway 114 is legal to ride.  It's only about a 2 mile stretch, is on the west side of Roanoke, and has a very wide shoulder.  I've ridden it many, many times over the years.  

I'll submit the route for RUSA (Randonneur USA) approval when I return from travel. I'm off again to The Great White North trying to teach em' thar'e yank's a thang or three about Engineerin'.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2008, 8:36pm

Man, you are braver than me.  I've ridden 114 once out to TMS, and it scared the crap out of me.  When I want to go out that way, I take Walnut south out of Roanoke, west on Parish, across 377, the road changes names to Henrietta Creek, curve south onto Allen Trail, right onto Haslet Roanoke, which makes a 90 degree left turn, then right (west) onto Keller Haslet, under 35W, then you can go either west on Westport Parkway to 156, or up the east side of Alliance Airport on Heritage Parkway and Eagle Parkway also to 156, then north to rejoin the route.  Of course, all of this would make it a little longer, but would avoid 114.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2008, 11:41pm

Quote from bent_eagle on Jan 9th, 2008, 12:30am:
Is it legal to ride on 114?

It's legal to ride on any road in TX (including Interstates) as long as there is no signage prohibiting it (TX 551), Now legal and smart are 2 different things, I have ridden on lmited access roads on a bike and as long as I was on the shoulder and the shoulder was like normal for an Interstate it was fine. When that shoulder goes away for any reason, well then is where you get the "not smart"...

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2008, 7:10am

Bent Eagle (Steve W), where do you live?  I haven't seen any other Ti Aeros in the DFW area for years.

Thanks for the route info between 377 and 156.  I'll have to check it on the map.  I rode that area extensively on my motorcycle to find alternate  roads and didn't find any.  

Compared to many other state roads I've ridden as part of Randonneuring, this portion of 114, especially since it's a paltry 2 miles with a wide shoulder, is no problem at all....

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2008, 2:05am

Quote from bikerteam on Jan 10th, 2008, 7:10am:
Bent Eagle (Steve W), where do you live?  I haven't seen any other Ti Aeros in the DFW area for years.

Thanks for the route info between 377 and 156.  I'll have to check it on the map.  I rode that area extensively on my motorcycle to find alternate  roads and didn't find any.  

Compared to many other state roads I've ridden as part of Randonneuring, this portion of 114, especially since it's a paltry 2 miles with a wide shoulder, is no problem at all....

Hi, Ray.  I'm in Southlake, not far from where your route cuts through town.  I've only had my Aero a few months, but I've ridden it all over norhtern Keller, Roanoke, Southlake, Grapevine, Colleyville, etc.  I think it's an '05 or '06 model.  I bought it from a doctor in St. Louis, and haven't ridden anything else since.  Great bike!

Thanks for working out this route.  I've thought often about riding around the lake, too.  I've taken my Aero up to Flower Mound and ridden there, but I drove accross the dam and then rode a loop up from there.  Was traffic OK on the road from Grapevine Mills Mall into Grapevine?  I guess it depends on the time of day?

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2008, 8:03am

Steve, if you look at the bikely route, it minimized road traffic.  After coming off Grapevine darn, and onto highway 26, the route takes the very first right (I dont know the name of the street).  It's less than a mile on highway 26, which has a wide shoulder.  After turning right from highway 26, you go down about 1/2 mile, then turn left on Dove Rd, which takes you all the way to Keller (through Grapevine, Southlake, etc.).  

Let me know if you ever want to hook up and ride.  There are a lot of great roads starting in Flower Mound, then traveling north and north west.  Nelson rode with me a few weeks ago, and I bet we saw at least 100 cyclists. This Saturday I'm doing a Lone Star Randonneur 200k out of Italy.  If I'm not riding a 200k or longer, I'm usually always training in the Flower Mound area.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print