Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 11:05am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Frisco Superdrome (Read 992 times)
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Frisco Superdrome
Dec 20th, 2007, 1:51am

Hey, Greg and all you racers, have you seen this?

http://www.superdrome.com/

I'm not sure if recumbents are allowed, but the pic of the track looks pretty cool.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Frisco Superdrome
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2007, 6:34am

Not even regularuprights are alloed - track bikes only.  I've tried - multiple times Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2007, 6:42am

Greg can you post a summary of what when who you talked to reguarding the tracks policy.

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2007, 8:14am

I rode and raced intermittently a few years ago, but they are protective, and very traditional when it comes to track use and riding.  A great resource if you have a track bike, but I don't expect to see recumbents out there anytime soon.  Plus with the steep banking there is a pretty good learning curve even with a track bike.  I doubt for liability reasons there will be much recumbent access.   The folks running it are a good bunch though, I've just gotten away from the short/fast riding.  When I was young I used to like to do the Kilo TT, but it has faded as an event, with more emphasis on group races.  I had 1:04 PR which made me pretty competitive at a regional/national level. Probably couldn't break 1:14 these days if my life depended upon it.  Takes a lot of specialized training to be good at the Kilo, and randonneuring and commuting aint it.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2007, 8:13am

Cool. The Velodrome is a 1/4 mile from my home. Mrs Strada & I have been there a couple of times to watch. Last summer,Mid-Western State had a couple of riders smoke the track in just over 12 seconds. Fixed gear bikes are pretty cool. I had heard that the powers that be aren't to 'bent friendly.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2007, 12:58pm

Didn't Doug Davis take his fully faired bent on the Velodrome a few years ago?

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2007, 9:19am

GDB'er Paula Felix is heavily involved with Superdrome activities...  Contact her at  pfelix@ceoexpress.com, and tell her I sent ya...

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2007, 8:45pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 31st, 2007, 9:19am:
GDB'er Paula Felix is heavily involved with Superdrome activities...  Contact her at  pfelix@ceoexpress.com, and tell her I sent ya...

PB

For what?  So she can turn me down too?  I mean, after Britney Spears, there's only so much rejectionj I can take Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2008, 1:47pm

"Bent friendly" is all relative...  I wouldn't want to be in a mixed bike group on that track - there's too much jostling for position and other strategies going on with a banked track, to get in there with a bike that's not easily seen.  Plus, they require "fixed gear" to avoid braking-related damage to the track.  I believe they require a "training" class or two before ever letting a noob ONTO the track for the first time...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2008, 7:25pm

The track class is great fun, and likely short enough amount of riding that even recumbent only riders might enjoy it, I believe you can still borrow one of the velodromes loaner bikes for the class.  I didn't have a track bike when I took the class, and just brought pedals, and my preferred saddle.  I've since bought and sold a track bike, but I've been thinking about reacquiring one.  The track is pretty steep ebing a 250m olympic style, @42+ degrees in the corners.  it requires somewhere in the low to mid teens to speedwise through the corners at the minimum to stay connected, and if you get too upright you can drag a pedal which isn't good for the wood or your on the boards.  Its quite a sight to go through the corners up at the top of the track and look to your left at a good 50+ foot drop.  A good motivator to keep the speed up.  I of course am a fan of recumbents, but have plenty of reservations about riding one there.  Definitely not in a group, but even solo it would be a little daunting.  However it is fun and safe once acclimated, and the controled method by which you gain access to the track and follow its traditions is a pretty good one, and more than in most equipment sports ensures a pretty level playing field for the races.  Heck most or alot of track racers are still on tubulars, as they are ostensibly safer in the event of a blowout on the steep banking.  (they stay glued on providing some grip, whereas clinchers without the air pressure will roll of the rim, leaving aluminum on wood, which isn't very grippy.)

There are several tracks that are larger, and have shallower banking, and are not wood that are probably alot more recumbent friendly.

I probably could use a refresher course its been a several years now (3+) since I rode out there.  If anybody is interested in doing it together let me know.  I'll try to discern when the first class is going to be.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2008, 8:24pm

Quote from bent_eagle on Dec 20th, 2007, 1:51am:
Hey, Greg and all you racers, have you seen this?

http://www.superdrome.com/

I'm not sure if recumbents are allowed, but the pic of the track looks pretty cool.

I'ld love to see a couple of our Baron riders get in their and kick some serious DF b&tt.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print