Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 11:33am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to get my wife on a 'bent? (Read 755 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

How to get my wife on a 'bent?
Dec 15th, 2007, 11:45am

I'm trying to get my wife riding, which is something she hasn't done since she was a little girl. I'm trying to expound upon the virtues of riding 'bent, like it's faster than the bus (usually), and easier on the back than walking, and that a properly eqipped bike can carry more cargo than a person with a backpack especially if that person has sciatica (like my wife does).

I still haven't convinced her, even though we have gone car-free, she still won't ride a bike or let me build her a 'bent. What am I missing? Besides the fact she doesn't want to ride a bike I mean.

I just asked her and her main objection is no protection from the weather, and the crazy drivers that deliberately try to kill cyclists. She further states that as long as she lives in the Metromess she ain't riding a bike because the drivers are all crazy and will kill you as soon as look at you. I guess she objects mainly to the crazy drivers even though she mentioned lack of weather protection first.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: How to get my wife on a 'bent?
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2007, 4:28pm

Give up, Opus, you can't win the argument...  Potential comfort and practicality are far outweighed by personal safety concerns -- and I'm afraid you already know you're a perfect "worst case" example...   Sad

HOWEVER -- if you can build something that's actually practical for sidewalk riding (i.e., really fat, cushy tires, seat suspension to soak up bumps), you might have a shot.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2007, 3:29pm

Opus,

She is right about the street. But... she can ride when its warm and nice on the sidewalks or trails. Even if that is not often, every time she does,  she gets some exercise and gets to spend time with you.  Cool

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2007, 4:03pm

Well, with your help I have worn her down, that and carrying groceries on her back again last night. She has stated she will ride a trike to and from our local stores that she can get to on the sidewalk. To that end I have been working my pencil to a nub designing 2 choices for her: a FWD delta SWB and a RWD delta LWB, both with Really Fat Tire capability to soak up those bumps and seams in the sidewalk. The good part is most of the rear design is common between the 2 vehicles, with a jack shaft to run power to both rear wheels and 10mm of dropout spacing being the only difference.

To the welder!

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2007, 2:48pm

Don't forget the electric motor assist!!!   (semi-seriously!)

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2007, 8:03pm

The mount for electric assist has already been designed into the drive for the RWD trike. I might be crazy, but momma dint raise no fool. 300 Watt starting assist to help get the trike moving, all assist gone between 7 and 10 MPH. She's going to get some exercise, but as she has kiboshed installing gears on this trike I'm keeping the option of assist to protect her fragile little knees.

While we were at PCF doing some Christmas shopping I talked Mrs. Opus into sitting on the EZ3 they have on the floor. I think she's already hooked on the idea of getting a trike, she kept saying she could see herself riding to the store on one like that.

Opus

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2007, 8:08pm by Opus the Poet »  

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print