Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 2:31pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
You know that joke about too much blood in your (Read 2675 times)
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

You know that joke about too much blood in your
Aug 23rd, 2007, 5:52pm

I just got back from an unscheduled visit with my Dr over my last blood work. To be succinct, I'm anemic, to the point the doc describes it as being "a couple of pints low". We can't figure out where the blood is going, the doc suspects GI bleeding but I don't have any symptoms of that. In fact I don't have any of the "normal" symptoms of anemia, my BP is normal, my rest pulse is 45, and my endurance is above average, the last bike ride I did was a quick 20 miles in the evening after doing 10 in the morning, in 100+ F temperatures. The only problem I had was some chafing from my cotton shorts. So I'm not feeling tired or anything like that.

For those who know what the numbers mean, when I last donated blood at the end of June my Hematocrit was 30, last week it was 18.

Opus

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: You know that joke about too much blood in you
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 6:19pm

That's very strange. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2007, 6:53pm

...and you went up to HHH like this???   No WONDER you cratered...  Sorry, pal!!!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2007, 10:19am

John,

It was good to see you at the HHH. Hope all works out for good with the blood thing. Whip those corpusles into shape!

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2007, 1:01pm

With all the money and time I put into getting to the HHH there was no way I was going to wuss out and stay home. I was going to ride or die trying. Well, almost anyway, I'm not that stupid Tongue

Opus

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2007, 1:01pm by Opus the Poet »  

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2007, 11:46am

Here's the news about my blood just prior to the HHH, from my doctor visit yesterday. I lost another point of 'crit between the visit 2 weeks ago at 18  hematocrit and last week at 17 hematocrit. What's more disturbing is the cells I do have have a lower than normal amount of hemoglobin. Even more fun, trying to get enough blood out of my arm to run another series of tests required "milking" the vein to force out the blood. And I get winded just walking the half mile from my house to the bus stop, and I'm doing a lot of yawning trying to keep a little extra O2 in my blood.

Good times...

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2007, 6:51pm

OMG...that's a whole new level of sucking right there.

Hope it's something small.  Now, go eat some liver, stat!~

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2007, 8:02pm

UPDATE this morning I got the latest report on my blood drawn last Wednesday. Hematocrit and hemoglobin are still down, but no lower than the previous test. Translation my red cells are more of a dark pink, and I don't have enough of them anyway. I went to the library and climbing out of the basement almost passed out, I got very dizzy. The really good part is I have stopped getting worse.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2007, 11:11pm

UPDATE 09/10/07 Latest results from blood tests: My 'crit is almost normal, even higher than it was back in June, thanks to the high protien diet, but my hemoglobin levels still won't go up any more. So I have about twice as many red cells as I did but still the same amount of hemoglobin to go amongst them. I'm making an appointment for the Parkland clinic to find out where the blood is going, because I'm not having any GI  bleeding issues, I don't cut myself, and I'm not female so that escape route is denied. The doctor is stumped, so off to Parkland I go ( did I mention being unemployed sucks?).

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2007, 5:10pm

"What marks on the neck????!!!!!????"

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2007, 11:39am

Update 09/17/07:

Parkland won't see me unless I pay in advance, because my wife was offered health insurance coverage for me but declined it because that would have resulted in having no take home income (you know, the reason why you go to work). I don't qualify for Medicare/Medicaid because we own our home. I guess I could change my name to Guererro and get care but my Spanish isn't that good.

I'm going to try Presbeterian tommorrow since they just check income v outgo without regard to health insurance and whether you own the home or someone else.

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2007, 10:25pm

UPDATE 09/26/07: I had another blood test done Monday which I thought would be much better, but wasn't. According to the doc's office my counts were up infinitesmally, not enough to account for my report of sunshine and light. Apparently being a cyclist I'm used to being breathless and in minor pain Wink. Doc still doesn't know where the blood is going, and said the improvement I saw wasn't anywhere near what it should have been based on what I've been eating since the last test. I bought 5 pounds of liver, ate 3 of it myself and let the other 3 people in the house have the rest of it, and with all that easily absorbed iron my henoglobin barely budged. I'm getting pretty good at cooking liver now, nobody else in the family will touch it while it's raw Wink

Opus

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2007, 10:43pm by Opus the Poet »  

Email WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2007, 9:40am

Opus,

Our healthcare safety net has a few large holes in it. On the up side, I love liver and onions!

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2007, 12:54am

A few holes, you say?  Shocked

I'm only getting my meds in exchange for allowing my body to be used for medical research, so that they can see if mixing them create any new side effects Tongue. Because of this the drug companies have created many "new" drugs that are really just mixtures of drugs approaching the ends of their patents, thereby extending the patent period.

Now my only chance of getting treatment for this condition is to let myself be used again so that med students can study me. I tell you some days I just can't stand it.

Opus

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2007, 12:59am by Opus the Poet »  

Email WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2007, 6:46pm

I went for a long(ish) ride today, just over 20 miles. Doc said go for it, but be prepared to go easy if I had pain or shortness of breath, and have an "out" to be able to bail on the ride , (yeah, right). Well it hurt, but not because of my blood problem (much). Since I only got the bike together and ridable last weekend and I haven't been on the bike since HHH, things are a little out of shape. I had some problems with the hills on this route, but since there's only the one in each direction (same hill out and back) I lived through it. I also had some tenderness where the calf muscles join the Achilles tendon. Fun Tongue

Opus

Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print